You are here

A Question about learning a second instrument

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: A Question about learning a second instrument

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Sam's right. Once you've learnt the bass basics, you'll progress a lot quicker playing along with other people; especially with a drummer - preferably one who can keep time (we can all live in hope!).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby BJG145 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:23 pm

SOS Musician wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I will continue to do bass and piano. Who knows, I might become a pro at both!

Yeah, and you might find you're no good at either! But then I guess you could always learn to play the drums...

:beamup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:28 pm

That's cruel.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Develop a taste for the bagpipes. Bass will look like a lucky escape to your folks.

Do piano and bass. One will inform the other.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Frisonic » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 pm

The Red Bladder wrote: ...And don't just do classical!!! The market for pure classical music is microscopic! If it was not for massive subsidies in just about every country, it would be dead by now!

A timely comment. I don't normally reproduce articles from the FT verbatim but given the nature of the discussion and the poignancy of RB's observation...

...here is an article from this weekend's FT titled 'George Osbourne hints at orchestra tax break in Autumn Statement':

"This week George Osborne dropped a strong hint ahead of his Autumn Statement that orchestras could be handed a tax break, telling an audience of creative industry figures that he was “looking very closely” at the idea.

The news hits a brighter note for a sector that has been struggling under the cuts imposed on state-subsidised arts and culture since the coalition came to power. Orchestras have seen their public funding reduced by an average of 14 per cent since 2010, with some facing deeper cuts after losing support from cash-strapped local councils.

Keith Motson, membership manager of the Association of British Orchestras, said: “Not only has public subsidy been cut at the national level but local authorities have cut their spending, too, which has hurt the smaller operations.”
He added: “We have also seen a big contraction in corporate sponsorship, particularly outside London. The regions have been hit hard.”

Given the high fixed costs of running an orchestra, this has forced invidious choices on groups. Most have responded with intermittent wage freezes or below-inflation pay rises. “Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra has had no pay rise since 2008,” said Bill Kerr, orchestras organiser at the Musicians Union.

Others have reduced the number of concerts they give or have chosen to perform smaller-scale works requiring fewer players. Nearest the cliff edge is Belfast-based Ulster Orchestra, which faces insolvency and closure by the end of this year if it does not fill a budgetary hole expected to be more than £400,000 in 2015. With cuts of 28 per cent in real terms over the past four years, Northern Ireland’s only professional orchestra has tried to save money by cutting concerts, freezing wages for its 63 performers and restructuring operations to make them more efficient.

Belfast city council has pledged to help with a one-off £100,000 payment and the orchestra is asking for a five-year rent-free deal on the use of its home venues. But the savings made so far have not been enough, leaving the prospect of Belfast becoming the only significant ÛK city without an orchestra.

If Mr Osborne does announce the tax break next week, he can expect applause from across the sector. Many are hoping for reliefs similar to those handed out to theatres, opera and ballet in the March Budget, which gave a 20 per cent tax credit to productions, with touring productions receiving 25 per cent relief.

For orchestras that have been trying to make up the shortfall by increasing touring activities and community work, it could provide a direct boost to the bottom line.

Henry Little, chief executive of Orchestras Live, a charity that brings orchestras to underserved parts of the country, said: “Travel costs are very high and can sometimes be the difference between a concert promoter saying ‘I’ll take that programme’ or ‘I won’t’. Flexibility around those areas would be very welcome.”

The chancellor will deliver his mini-budget updating the government’s economic plans on December 3.

Giving orchestras the same help as theatres would also quell fears that pure orchestral concerts were suffering by comparison, particularly in venues which were able to choose between art forms. “There was a slight danger that no one had thought of the impact of the theatre tax breaks on multi-auditorium arts centres, in that putting on theatre would be cheaper than an orchestral performance,” Mr Motson said.

The downturn appeared to make little different to audiences’ appetite for orchestral performances, with industry figures last year showing attendance had risen by 16 per cent since 2010. But the same research found earned income was down 11 per cent. There was a straightforward explanation for this apparently contradictory finding: audiences, feeling the pinch themselves, had moved to the cheaper seats."
Frisonic
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby damoore » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Grade 10 (assuming it's the Royal Conservatory syllabus) represents being a fairly useful pianist. It is not something you should aspire to at this stage. If you end up loving the piano and wanting to do it, that is different.

Being able to play at a lower level will still be useful. If you do go on to study music at university level you will need that to support your theory studies, and you will need a second instrument in any case - I doubt that bass would count if your first instrument is guitar.

The other thing you can do is work on Blues/Rock/Reggae/Cuban etc piano styles. These are a lot of fun to play and can be played with groups. You can play these and classical - you are not going to ruin one with the other. They emphasize different aspects of piano playing, so they help you become a rounded player.

Bass and Piano in these styles actually have a lot in common since they both emphasize rhythm. So becoming a passable Rock etc piano player will help inform your bass playing.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Of course, there is another facet to all this to consider: Image
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Freedom of speech means freedom to offend

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Huge Longjohns wrote:Of course, there is another facet to all this to consider: Image

So, by definition, the one-man-band who plays all those instruments at once pulls *everyone* in the room?

No wonder they look so knackered all the time... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 pm

damoore wrote:Grade 10 (assuming it's the Royal Conservatory syllabus) represents being a fairly useful pianist.

Ay, I gave up lessons after Grade 10 became I didn't feel there was any more they could teach me. No wait, that was 01.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:24 pm

No wonder they look so knackered all the time...

That's why they invented MIDI!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Deleted User » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Perhaps take up the Accordion.

Link.
Deleted User
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:24 am

That is amazing! A digital accordion that makes every instrument it models sound exactly like....an accordion!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 am

Yup! I always thought the idea of a digital accordion was very 'post-modern'... I've played a few of them and they're very nicely made and all, and the accordion presets sound great, but there's something about selecting an accordion preset on a digital accordion that strikes me as slightly absurd.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:49 pm

But the big question is, do digital accordions burn as well as real ones?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Wonks wrote:But the big question is, do digital accordions burn as well as real ones?
No, just one bit at a time.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:38 pm

:D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:00 pm

No, just one bit at a time.

Is there an internet emoticon thingy for 'kerboom, crash'? :)
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 pm

You mean two drums and a cymbal falling over a cliff?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Deleted User » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Huge Longjohns wrote:That is amazing! A digital accordion that makes every instrument it models sound exactly like....an accordion!

Hopefully they will bring out an inventive soundscape synth version, hardcore Accordion. Perhaps a fitting style that would fit in Hacktivist.

Accordions are making a comeback. 2015 The Year Of The Accordion A.D.

The Truth In Accordions.
Deleted User
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Naw, not Accordions, this is what you need Midi Concertina :round1:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext