You are here

Thomastik- Infeld Strings

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Thomastik- Infeld Strings

Postby Jay Menon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:55 am

I've heard very good things about these strings but tell me please - are they head and shoulders above other established manufacturers such as D'Addario and Ernie Ball? And if so, specifically why please?
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Re: Thomastik- Infeld Strings

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Some people I know really rate them above everything else. For them they stay in tune longer and last longer (Max reckons up to three times), whilst feeling smooth to play. I had one set and for me they didn't do anything my D'addarios did.

So it may well come down to your playing technique. They certainly won't feel any worse, but they might feel a lot better. All you can do is try a set and see for yourself.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:26 pm

I won't use anything else…..

head and shoulders above everything else i've ever tried….

last longer, feel smoother to play, great tone, well worth the extra…..

(note…… i'm talking about techno/powerbrite , the std yellow packs of infeld ones are also pretty good, but not the much better than D'addario/DR …. but are similar price to the others as well, cheaper than the ones i prefer….. )

I use 9-46 on all my Eb tuned guitars, 9-42 on std tuning, and 10-50 on Drop C^( Drop D version of Eb)

sadly they don't make a 7 string set….. :frown:

yet,.,
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Are their acoustic strings worth the extra? I usually use Martins which are cheap and sound fine to me, but don't last that long.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:00 pm

I sometimes use their "Plectrum" strings , because they're very smooth, not tape wound, but ground wound , much less handling noise , but still decent sounding top end , perhaps a little darker than some, but not dull….

useful for complicated parts where fretting/ handling noise can be an issue….

and THAT is why i use them, "occasionally" , most of the time I'm more of a Rotosound "super Bronze" (formerly country gold) user.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:02 pm

I may try their "Plectrum" strings on my Emerald X7 then, it's very new and quite bright (I changed the factory fitted D'addrio EXP 0.012s to Elixier 0.011s 'cos I had them is stock and wanted to try the lighter gauge. The Thomastik's may be well suited to to it, carbon fibre guitars are very sensitive to string changes, more so than tonewood guitars so, while it sounds pretty good now it's worth a try.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BigRedX » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:42 pm

I bought a set of their standard very heavy gauge round wounds as they were the most easily obtainable strings with a wound G that I needed for a Piccolo Bass.

I've also used their Jazz Flats on a 34" scale fretless bass. These are very low tension and will come as a pleasant surprise to anyone whose previous experience of flat wound strings were those Rotosound ones that seem to be more appropriate as fencing wire rather than guitar strings.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:28 pm

They're quite good but when playing live I need to change strings often anyway so I settled for cheaper alternatives that didn't sound that different in the short run. I used D'Addario and Ernie Ball since I changed on all my guitars almost weekly as we did two shows per week.

Since bass strings are usually not changed as often, I put a Tomastik set that stayed for a long time on one of my recording basses and sounded fantastic.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Postby IvanSC » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Plectrums on my Martin OOO.
Same gauge as I usually use feels much easier to play - I was told it has to do with the cores they use on the wound strings.

May well be but it is certainly helping my arthritic mitts a lot.
Never tried them on bass. I have a set of D'Addario ground round wounds on my Precision at present and they are nice - just a little more definition than tape/flat wounds but still a smooth "vintage" sound.
Mind you they ARE a lot stiffer than the round wounds they replaced. Same gauge too.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:48 pm

4TrackMadman wrote:They're quite good but when playing live I need to change strings often anyway so I settled for cheaper alternatives that didn't sound that different in the short run. I used D'Addario and Ernie Ball since I changed on all my guitars almost weekly as we did two shows per week.

Since bass strings are usually not changed as often, I put a Tomastik set that stayed for a long time on one of my recording basses and sounded fantastic.

I gig…. in a metal band… (yes, granddads play metal too ! , in fact, "we/they" (gentlemen now of some years ) more or less invented it….. )

a set of powerbrites did 4-5 months duty on my main guitar. rehearsals every week, several recording sessions, and about 15 gigs….
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:40 pm

here's a 6 month old set being abused.

The Wise Man
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby oneflightup » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:40 am

It's interesting to see the comments here about how long strings will last...

I used to want strings that lasted so I didn't have to change them often. But my guitar tech has advised me to change strings often - that way you regularly have bright sounding strings, they're nice to play, but most importantly you're avoiding damaging your guitar (old strings damage your frets and fretboard more).
So I buy sets of strings in 10 packs (D'Addario) online and they end up being only about AUD $5 per set.

I'll have to look out for these Thomastik strings and give them a try....

Cheers,

Nick
oneflightup
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:58 am

oneflightup wrote:most importantly you're avoiding damaging your guitar (old strings damage your frets and fretboard more).

A dumb question maybe, but how do old strings damage frets and fretboard more than new strings?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 am

Just what I was thinking?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:14 am

If the strings get to the state where they are rusty, then they are certainly going to be more abrasive than if they are new and smooth.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:16 pm

if you fail to clean your strings before and after playing, then they get encrusted with crap and oxides that are more abrasive than the plain metal , even before they go rusty. (my Thomastiks have never gone rusty….. ) especially on the bottom side against the fingerboard and frets

I use D'addario/Planet waves string cleaner containing acidified isopropanol (used to use D'andrea stuff of similar type using 1.1.1 tricholorethane as i recall , but that's hard to find now )

but frankly, just wiping the strings down using a lint free cloth between thumb and forefinger before and after you play is almost as effective .

doing that avoids that wear issue, and long lasting strings (that , more importantly, feel and sound great to play ) are a very worthwhile thing…

like i said…. when i posted the track above….. that set was six months old….. and in fact is still on the guitar….. several months later, and still working well….. (although now up for replacement….. it is time for new ones….. the intonation is starting to drift. )

if you listen, take note of the pinch harmonics, (lots of them) and tapped harmonics (esp around 2:15-2:19)

I might have the odd bit of shred-head ;) in my playing, but i'm damned if i can do that sort of stuff on "dead" strings….. or strings loaded with crud….
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Oh, and gratitude to the Wonkmeister moment…. that guitar is a stock Ibanez S670 he found for me at Andertons a little while ago… it's the only guitar i have and play currently that lives in standard tuning…. it's stock pickups, rather than my normal KA Mbucker arrangement , and it plays like butter…… one of the few that i've not felt the need to do any fret work or other rebuild stuff on when i got it….

glorious thing it is…..
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Richie Royale » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Wonks is an enabler.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:07 pm

He almost didn't get it. It was one of those guitars that just feels right and when I took it home and plugged it in, it felt even more righterer. But I knew I had to pass it on.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:24 pm

and i'm eternally joyfully grateful….

here it is…..

Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next