You are here

How the hell does anyone actually play a Rickenbacker?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: How the hell does anyone actually play a Rickenbacker?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 pm

Wait. You can play a mandolin but not a Ricky 12?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Well, I own a mandolin... I wouldn't say that I can play it.
Sam Inglis

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:23 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Well, I own a mandolin... I wouldn't say that I can play it.

Well, that describes me too. But I think my point still stands...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Frisonic » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:10 am

Sam Inglis wrote:Well, I own a mandolin... I wouldn't say that I can play it.

Respect for that admission! I can't even confess to owning one and I have always felt slightly behind the curve for not being able to play one with any confidence. Same goes for banjoes, which always attracts much ire…
Frisonic
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby The Bunk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 am

Ah, mandolins. Also b*ggers to tune; bigger b*ggers to re-string. Difficult to record (at least I thought so). Easy to knock out something like "Copperhead Road". But mine's remained hanging on the wall gathering dust since.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:57 am

This Nickle Creek is a great example of a beautiful lyrical mandolin solo (at 00:36). I aspire to this level of competence with little hope of ever achieving it....... It's fun trying though :)

I was running PA for a folk showcase gig and was chatting to the young mandolin player in one of the bands (Cardboard Fox). This solo was mentioned and he said "Oh, this one?" and proceeded to play it note for note........ Much envy ensued.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Phil Reynolds » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:37 pm

I recently sold my Ricky 12 after 20 years of hardly using it. Fingers too big, neck too small. Still, a tear was shed that day...
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:There are a few instruments, where it can reasonably be said they the player spends 50% of his time tuning up and the other 50% playing out of tune..... The 12 string guitar is possibly the worst :headbang:

There's also instruments when the player plays 100% out of tune - violins, for example. :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Has to be said, one of the nice things about the double bass is that it generally tends to keep its tune pretty well. Also at least half the people listening won't be able to properly place pitches that far down the register anyway so you can get away with all kinds of inaccuracies. :¬)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby permanent_daylight » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:47 pm

CS70 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:There are a few instruments, where it can reasonably be said they the player spends 50% of his time tuning up and the other 50% playing out of tune..... The 12 string guitar is possibly the worst :headbang:

There's also instruments when the player plays 100% out of tune - violins, for example. :lol:

The advantage is having barely any tuning time though. Well unless the pegs slip, then its "see you in half an hour". Violin is one i can't see how people can play, and i'm a cellist...you think a rick is bad? what if there were three notes under one finger?

But I probably couldn't play a Rick either. I found it strange playing a 52mm bridge on my jazzmaster, usually its 55.5mm. A ric is something ridiculous, 49mm?, that's almost like the space for 5 strings...
I'd be all over a conventionally spaced one though. I love the sound of them.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby The Coastal Path » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Going back to Sam's original post - I bought a Rick 360 in a moment of rash guitar passion & having large hands quickly discovered it was impossible to play. I didn't pick it up for 10 years - until it spent six months in my humid basement in Toronto. This resulted in the action needing complete resetting - and I discovered that with the neck relief all but completely removed, you can set the action absurdly low - and hey presto - the guitar actually becomes playable. (Sort of).
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby The Korff » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:22 am

blinddrew wrote:Has to be said, one of the nice things about the double bass is that it generally tends to keep its tune pretty well. Also at least half the people listening won't be able to properly place pitches that far down the register anyway so you can get away with all kinds of inaccuracies. :¬)

I suspect that's a function of the very large distances involved with the things... Half a millimetre or so of stretch mightn't do much on a 4-foot string, but would wreak havoc on a mando, fiddle, banjo, etc etc.

A real pig to tune by ear though (even using a tuner if there's noise about the place... And those clip-on ones work alright for the higher strings, but I struggle to find somewhere to clip them that reliably picks up the low E). I usually just resort to harmonics.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby grab » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Then there's the old joke about an on-stage punch-up at a folk gig. The singer separates the bassist and the 12-string guitarist and say "OK lads, what's going on?"

"He started it!" sobs the 12-string guitarist. "He detuned one of my strings... AND HE WON'T TELL ME WHICH ONE IT WAS!!"
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:46 am

And don't forget the bloke about to shot by the firing squad. "Any last requests?" "Yes, I'd like to tune my 12 string please."
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 pm

permanent_daylight wrote:Violin is one i can't see how people can play, and i'm a cellist...

OMG Cello is my favourite sound. I managed to use one in one song and just getting an idea for another where it would work..

You know the joke about violins, only ever have one or three playing - one is ok, two are out of tune with each other, from three on it's an ensemble! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

PreviousNext