You are here

Single coil noiseless pickups... the quest continues.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Single coil noiseless pickups... the quest continues.

Postby Wonks » Tue May 19, 2020 2:51 pm

But you do need to make sure that it has electrically conductive adhesive, otherwise you are in for a lot of soldering.

And if you've got several guitars to do, then It's probably cheaper buying copper tape from somewhere like Amazon, where you can get a 25m roll of 30mm tape for £8-£10, whereas garden centre slug tape tends to come in 4m rolls.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 pm

I didn't 'check' that it was conductive adhesive, but I guess it must be.... I might put the multi meter on it to be sure.

If I had a few guitars to do, I'd probably go down the conductive paint route. I did have one 'gotcha' though. The cavity routing was way too close to the 5 way selector, which meant it could short to ground in a random way. I had to put a layer of insulating tape in that area on top of the slug tape which fixed it.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby MOF » Tue May 19, 2020 4:16 pm

My experience is that it comes from the computer screen and drops off massively/disappears a few feet away from and at right angles to it.
I suggest you do the opposite first and offer the guitar up to the various bits of kit one at a time and note which are the worst offenders for noise and then move the furthest away you can during recording, probably in cycle mode to save you having to go to the computer regularly.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 am

Lace Sensors, what noise ?
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Previous