You are here

Gibson Marauder

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Gibson Marauder

Postby BigRedX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 pm

How old is your son and is there any reason why the Rickenbacker is so special (did you buy it for him as a present)?

I think that too many musicians seem to spend far too much time chasing after some illusive quality that their current instrument doesn't give them. However IME you can't make any valid decisions until you have gigged the new instrument in question and compared it side by side with the one that already own.

I see on so many guitar and bass forums posters who go through a seemingly endless procession of instruments in search of that "something" and who are continually moaning about how great instruments that they no longer own were.

If he is really set on swapping the Rickenbacker for something else then he needs to get out and actually spend some serious time playing these alternatives, because otherwise he is most likely completely wasting his time.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Rule 1 of guitar ownership is "Never sell a guitar unless your life depends on it". Even more so when it is one of the guitar classics.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:18 am

Update:

Son now has the Riccy back and has come to the conclusion that he does not want to part with it but cannot live with the thin, weedy pickups.

I have Googled a bit but cannot find a drop in replacement that will beef up the sound but allow the original pups to be refitted thus restoring the guitar to original condition.

Don't want to start a divisive cow but, he like me considers the pickups produce a good 80-90% of the tone of a 'plank' guitar and wood maybe a bit of 'icing'?

Even better! Would be an external box, EQ say, that could boost and modify the Ric' into a meatier jazzer?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 am

Have you tried a simple eq pedal?
I'd be tempted to take it in somewhere and try a selection of pedals and see if there's a simple solution there.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Egan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:28 am

ef37a wrote:Update:

Son now has the Riccy back and has come to the conclusion that he does not want to part with it but cannot live with the thin, weedy pickups.

Dave.

Dave,
The comment about the pickups confuses me. I have never played a Ricky with weedy pickups. They are often single coils, but I always think of them as being similar to the old 1950s DeArmonds, which were anything but thin. I don't suppose there is any problem with the pots on the Ricky ?
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 am

Hi John.
Never can tell with my lad! I am guessing he is comparing it to an LP with humbuckers?

He would like an LP but not the weight! I shall try to get him to do a DI recording. He has a Fast track pro but his kit is spread over at least three domiciles (plus he lends stuff out to all and sundry!) so the chances of Pro, Riccy and HIM getting together are somewhat slim!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Rickenbacker replacement pickups are very rare. Rickenbacker treasure their IP and trademark items highly, and are quick to go legal on people producing unauthorised copies, so it's not surprising that replacements are rare. However, whilst not listed on their main web page, The Creamery can do Ric replacement pickups (though a set will probably cost around £300), so he might want to give them a ring and see what they can offer. http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custo ... ckups.html

The 330 should come with the hi-gain single coil pickups, which are hotter than the previous 'toaster' models, though someone may have replaced them with older 'toaster' style pickups which have a lower output. If he doesn't know which ones he's got, then you could try taking a picture, Or he could Google for 330 toaster and hi-gain pickups images and find out himself.

How far are the pickups from the strings? I'm unfamiliar with Ricks, but they should have some method of raising the pickup height. You should be able to get them to 2-3mm of the strings. Every mm closer will add a fair amount of output and extra girth.

If they are already close, then has he tried heavier strings? It's got a Gibson scale length, so if he's using 0.009"s, then he should try a set of 0.010"s and that will help with output and thinness.

Otherwise a clean boost pedal like the TC Spark or TC Spark Mini (which only works from a PSU) should help. I use an Xotic SP compressor (mix control set to mainly direct) to boost the output of my Strat on my live rig so that it's output is closer to my humbucker guitars and so works with the settings on the other pedals. So a compressor with a similar mix facility could also be used as well as a boost pedal.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Buska » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Marauders are truly AWFUL guitars. Only ever played by punk bands who picked them up cheap as nobody else wanted them!

You could get a 'proper' Gibson for Rickenbacker money or keep the Ricky and get any one of the clones out there that sound as good and play as well as a Gibson eg a Vintage Lemon Drop which are sensational guitars for the money...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-icon-series-lemon-drop-guitar-/252824921140?hash=item3add8a2434:g:EVwAAOSwB-1YqcRA
What a ridiculous uninformed statement.
Marauders have there own sound and have been played by some excellent Jazz and Rock Guitarists.
The Awesome Jan Dumee played a Marauder in Focus and I have seen Jazz Violinist/Guitarist George Washingmachine (Stephen Washington) play a Marauder.
To say they are "truly Awful and only played by punk bands because nobody else wanted them is ludicrous and totally out of touch with reality.
Any Guitar purchase should be seriously considered and definitely play the Guitar first to see if it is suitable for Your individual playing style and taste. Don't listen to self professed 'armchair expert cork sniffers' Play ,Listen and Experience the Guitar for Yourself.
Buska

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:48 am

My earlier reply got lost whilst the bonnet was up.

He did not get the Gibson but now is contemplating a swap for a PRS.

I wish I had a spare couple of bags so he did not need to make the choice but I have already dropped around £700 on a laptop and supporting gear for Crissie!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Buska » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am

ef37a wrote:My earlier reply got lost whilst the bonnet was up.

He did not get the Gibson but now is contemplating a swap for a PRS.

I wish I had a spare couple of bags so he did not need to make the choice but I have already dropped around £700 on a laptop and supporting gear for Crissie!

Dave.

If He really is not happy with the sound, feel and vibe of the Rick, He will always be on the lookout for a Guitar to "scratch that itch" that the Rick just can't do for Him. The most important thing is to really thoroughly test out the prospective replacement Guitar to make sure it Feels,Plays and Sounds just Right and is "The One" before taking the plunge.
Buska

Previous