You are here

Anyone know anything about old HH badged guitar speakers?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Anyone know anything about old HH badged guitar speakers?

Postby VTypeV4 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:55 pm

I had an HH 'Invader' in a couple of different cabs up until recently.. It was a 150w, fifteen-inch, 4 ohm unit and had a great sound for bass and guitar.. Rather suspiciously, it had a very Celestion 'K series' looking frame and magnet assembly although the cone and edging looked very different.
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:32 am

It was about 1973, I can remember we all went into deep trauma when a member of a local popular band, a guitarist, turned up at our local pub sporting an H+H combo instead of his usual Vox AC30, talk about a step down, it was so noticeably bad compared to the Vox, we never knew what prompted him to do this, he was a really great guitarist, and went on to bigger better things, but that move was a really bad one. A lot of people in the audience commented on his sound, wondering what had happened.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:01 am

I would bet he used the HH combo to save wear and tear to this precious Vox or maybe it was in for another repair so he was using his reliable trusted HH. HH were good reliable amps and the speakers good enough for anyone who knew no better !!!
uselessoldman
Poster

Postby BigRedX » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:35 am

uselessoldman wrote:I would bet he used the HH combo to save wear and tear to this precious Vox or maybe it was in for another repair so he was using his reliable trusted HH. HH were good reliable amps and the speakers good enough for anyone who knew no better !!!

I doubt it. Back in the early 70s a Vox was just an old amp. You could easily pick them up at bargain prices.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby John Egan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 pm

BigRedX wrote:
uselessoldman wrote:I would bet he used the HH combo to save wear and tear to this precious Vox or maybe it was in for another repair so he was using his reliable trusted HH. HH were good reliable amps and the speakers good enough for anyone who knew no better !!!

I doubt it. Back in the early 70s a Vox was just an old amp. You could easily pick them up at bargain prices.

In the early 60s, an AC30 was just about the only "powerful" stage amp that was widely available in the UK. By the mid 60s, other alternatives were available. I swapped mine, which was beginning to show signs of old age after six years relentless gigging, for a Selmer Treble and Bass 50 and a 4x12 cab. Never regretted it.
John Egan
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 am

I spoke to him, he definitely sold the AC30, but I can’t remember why.
The tone he got out of the Vox was unbelievable, but, he was a very very good guitarist, extremely talented. But he had no technical knowledge at all, and I think the Vox may have been a bit unreliable, and he couldn’t cope with it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous