Having got over the hump, so to speak, I decided to rattle on and do something I'm a lot more comfortable with - fretting. Although just to make it more interesting, and in keeping with the reuse/recycle theme, I decided to sort through Col's tray of used frets to see if I could find enough of them to fret the Dobro. Here's the pile:
There was almost a complete set of frets that had been fitted to a restoration but due to some problem had been removed before they were stoned and finished. They had been cut for use with a bound fingerboard so there was a bit of the tang (thing that goes into the fret slot) missing at each end, but superglue would fix that. I completed the set with some offcut fret wire of the same size (2.4mm x 1.4mm approx), although judging by the colour slightly different material. Hey ho.
To fit the frets, I checked the depth of the fret slots then widened out the tops of the slots with a hacksaw, taking care to only go down the smallest possible amount, less than the depth of the saw teeth. Some people say you don't need to do this but it helps avoid problems getting the fret all the way down. Then push the fret in and give it few firm taps with a hammer.
Once all the frets are in the ends are glued down with superglue. Again, not everyone does this but it avoids problems later. Just run some glue under the ends of the fret and clamp it down for a few minutes using a fret clamp with a caul of the right radius.
Where the fingerboard is over the body you can use sliding clamps:
Then I chamfered off the fret ends using a file set at an angle along the edge of a block:
Stoning and crowning be done later. And that's it for another few weeks!