You are here

Strat wiring mod

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Strat wiring mod

Postby prhandley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

So I have a stratalike and I am fitting 3 dual rail drop in replacement humbucker pickups. I want to wire a push/pull coil split pot as the master volume to be able to have all 3 pups as either single coil or all 3 as humbuckers (yes all at the same time). My new pups have 4 wires so I think this is possible but does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to do this? I don't want to use a tone pot - want to use the volume pot.
Any advice would be very useful.
Thanks in advance
prhandley
New here

Re: Strat wiring mod

Postby zenguitar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Seymour Duncan has a nice piece that shows all you need to know about coil splitting.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the- ... hes-part-2

However, you have a problem because you have 3 pick-ups. With one pick-up you need a single pole double throw (SPDT) 500k log push pull pot for your volume control. For 2 pick-ups you need a double pole double throw (DPDT) 500k log push pull pot. Both of those are readly available. However, you would need a 3 pole double throw (3PDT) 500k log push pull pot, and this isn't a standard item.

All I could find was a place that offered a 4 pole double throw (4PDT) 500k log push pull pot option as a custom order, but it is expensive. You would only use 3 of the 4 poles, but it would do the job.

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Custom-Pot-Mono-4PDT.html

Hope that's useful.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby prhandley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks Andy. Very helpful. Looks like I'll have to use 2 dpdt pots using the volume for 2 pups and a tone for the other. Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Paul
prhandley
New here

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Wot Zen said.

You'd need to select either a 500k or 250k audio taper (type A) pot. 500k is better for the twin coil mode, 250k for single coil mode, 250k would make the twin coil mode a bit darker than normal, but would stop single coil mode from being over-bright.

That pot has no dimensional details, so there's no indication of shaft width or the depth of the pot. Don't assume its a suitable size and similar to a standard guitar pot. email them first asking for dimensions and whether it would be suitable for fitting in a Strat.

It has a solid shaft, so it's not suitable for using with a standard Strat knob, at least not without some adaption - I think I've seen shaft//knob adapter kits around, though again, it's more expense.

You'd probably find a switch a lot cheaper than that switched pot. If you don't want to drill a hole in the original plate, replacement Strat scratchplates are cheap to buy.

Alternatively, you could buy three standard push/pull pots (push/push pots are better IMO) and have each pickup individually tappable. Far more permutations available.

Also - if it's a strat-alike and not a Strat, it's worth measuring the depth of your control cavity to see how much depth you do have to fit a switch. The more poles it has, the more depth it will require.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby prhandley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info, very useful. I might think about 3 individual switches to give 8 options (2 x 2 x 2).
Cheers
Paul
prhandley
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Have you experimented with this? My experience of tapping humbuckers relates to a Les Paul but the same principles may apply to dual rail Strat pickups. The main disappointment was that tapped the pickups sound weak and thin to the point that I found myself never using the taps.

Strat single coils are usually 'magnet loaded' (i.e. the magnets are the pole pieces) Humbuckers are usually 'iron loaded' with the magnet between the baseplate and the coil bobbins. This makes them respond very differently as a result your tapped humbuckers will sound nothing like standard Strat single coils.

You may find the sound is to your liking, and the dual rail pickups may sound good when tapped but I would try a temporary mod (switch hanging out from under the scratch plate) before spending money or time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby prhandley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks Sam. I might just use a beaten up old Stratolike I also have as a test bed.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Paul
prhandley
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Let us know how it goes :)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........