You are here

Mansons' Guitar Show, Exeter, UK, Nov 11th. Anyone going?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Mansons' Guitar Show, Exeter, UK, Nov 11th. Anyone going?

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Just in case anyone else is planning to go along, I'll just say that I am and Zen was thinking of going as well. Tickets are currently £9 in advance from Mansons (with free postage) £10 on the door (student tickets £6 in advance).

It's held in the Corn Exchange, which is just off the top of Fore Street (the extension of the High Street which runs down the hill to the river (entrance in Market Street). 10am-5.30pm, though I won't be able to get there until 11.30ish.

https://www.mansons.co.uk/guitar-show
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Re: Mansons' Guitar Show, Exeter, UK, Nov 11th. Anyone going?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Looks good, sadly a little out of my commuting range ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Looks good, sadly a little out of my interest range ;)

(Being guitars and not keyboards! :lol: )
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Nothing stopping you liking keyboards and guitars. I do!

I was hoping they'd have the guest artist list up by now (with only two weeks to go), but the last time the show was held (it's held every two years), they had Steve Howe (Yes), Mikey Demus (Skindred), Martin Grech, Nick Beggs (Kajagoogoo), Baz Warne (The Stranglers), Yolanda Charles (Paul Weller/Robbie Williams) and Aziz Ibrahim.

Just found this list (not sure how complete it is) for 2017.

– Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake)
– Aziz Ibrahim (Stone Roses)
– Mikey Demus (Skindred)
– Kris Barras Band
– Ross Smithwick (Lonely The Brave)

Also on exhibitors stalls:
– Alex Hutchings (Solo/BOSS demonstrator)
– Jam with The Devil (Ernie Ball/Music Man)
– Yamaha Tone Workshops presented by Yamaha/Line 6 and Guitar Heroes
– Ellie Rialas (Tanglewood Guitars)
– Jas Morris (Seth Baccus Guitars)
– Stuart Clayton (Bassline Publishing)
– Andrea Braido (DV Mark Amps)
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Mansons' FB page has just announced that there are limited tickets left so may be very limited numbers left for sale on the door. If you planned to go and just buy on the door, then to avoid disappointment (especially if travelling) they recommend buying the tickets online before 5pm GMT today (Tues 6th November), at the reduced £9 price plus free 1st class postage.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Actually it may just be the early bird £9 tickets that stop tonight and they may still be available on the web site for £10 after that - it's not 100% clear. But if so, you'll still need time for the post to reach you, so tomorrow (Wednesday) is probably the cut-off point, unless you get in very early on Thursday and the postal gods are good to you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

They've just confirmed there will be some tickets available at the full £10 price on the web site over the next couple of days, the rest will be in-store or maybe on the door.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:47 pm

I shall be there, booked tickets for a friend and I this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone who makes it.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Well there's also Max (SSG) and Dave B going as well as me, so one of the groups of middle-aged and rather overweight follically-challenged gentlemen will probably be us.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Wonks wrote:so one of the groups of middle-aged and rather overweight follically-challenged gentlemen will probably be us.

My experience of the NW guitar show - that description would cover around 95% of the attendees
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Wonks wrote:Just in case anyone else is planning to go along, I'll just say that I am and Zen was thinking of going as well. Tickets are currently £9 in advance from Mansons (with free postage) £10 on the door (student tickets £6 in advance).

It's held in the Corn Exchange, which is just off the top of Fore Street (the extension of the High Street which runs down the hill to the river (entrance in Market Street). 10am-5.30pm, though I won't be able to get there until 11.30ish.

https://www.mansons.co.uk/guitar-show

Just had a look and to get there, for about 500 pounds, I'd have to fly to Paris and then take a propeller plane to Exeter airport.

Would have been fun, but the propeller plane puts me off, unfortunately.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 pm

You will be greatly missed.

Prop planes are OK. My first trip in one was from Olso airport to Jönköping in Sweden. Not a big one either, about 20 seats. Terrible weather, huge turbulence and the clouds cleared about 40m above the runway. Huge side-gusts and the plane was rolling by about 80° in total, but we got down safely. Been in bigger ones since then without any problems. Slightly more noise than pure jets, but they are jets, just jets with props attached to make them more efficient.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 am

Prop planes...

I've taken off in one 5 times, but never landed in one. Parachuting is a wonderful thing :)

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm

zenguitar wrote:Prop planes...

I've taken off in one 5 times, but never landed in one. Parachuting is a wonderful thing :)

Five times? You're getting so good that soon you won't need the parachute. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:01 am

Phone and tablet getting a top up charge.

Alarms set.

Should be there around middday and looking forward to seeing some familiar faces. Head shaved and grey goatee a good two fists + long, so if you are there and see me (It is me in my profile pic) please introduce yourself.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Agharta » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:49 am

Wonks wrote:Also on exhibitors stalls:
– Alex Hutchings (Solo/BOSS demonstrator)

I heard Alex play guitar as part of someone else's Jazz Organ Trio last year and he really blew me away.
Fortunately the band played more than just Jazz trio standards which allowed him to show how versatile and talented he is.
Highly recommended and curious what his own band sounds like if he has one!
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:44 pm

He was good. No band, just backing tracks.

Nice meeting up with everyone down there.

Gibson pulled out 2 days before the show and the Fender Custom Shop also failed to appear (which was the reason I and my friend went in the first place as my mate wanted a CS Strat). Luckily a used CS Strat of the right sort has just come into Manson's shop that morning, so after a phone call from Hugh Manson and short trip down the road to the shop, we tried and purchased said guitar for a lot less than he thought he'd have to pay. (I must say that the re-issue blackface Fender Princeton Reverb amp we tried it through was very nice indeed).

Like most music instrument shows, it was very noisy, which was exacerbated by there being no separate acoustic area. There were a couple of brief quiet periods (which I missed), so though I played quite a few nice-looking (and some very expensive) acoustics, I have no idea what they sounded like.

If you haven't tried them, Vox's amp modelling headphones (amPhones) are really worth a try-out if you are looking for a silent practice solution. All of us who tried them out on the Ernie Ball stand were impressed. They aren't new (see the 2013 SOS review https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vox-amphone-ac30), and they only had the AC30 version on the stand, but there are also ones with Fender and Marshall flavours. Around £85 in the shops (though the actual Vox stand told Dave B £70).
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:12 am

He also told me that there were 'no marshall or fender type ones - just AC30 and bass' which doesn't appear to be correct so pinch of salt to be taken here methinks...

But a lovely day out - played some nice guitars, met up with mates, had a nice Thai lunch.... all in all a great time

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby zenguitar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 am

Really enjoyable afternoon. Highlights were meeting some great folks that I haven't seen for way too long (and sharing a Thai meal together), Andy Manson's nice little stand, my mate Domenic telling his Bare Knuckles Nashville story to Tim on the Bare knuckle stand, and the journey home with Dom still struggling to comprehend Max's guitar collection compared to what he is allowed to get away with.

Resisted the temptation to buy one or two of those cute little Orange extension cabs. Loved the Vox AC10 in maroon leathercloth and simultaniously realised that I would need to wear earplugs to avoid agrivating my tinnitus if I bought one.

Worst part of the afternoon? That would be the new Shergold guitars. They are clearly excellent instruments, but for someone of an age that aspired to a 70's Shergold but could never quite afford one they totally miss the point. All that remains is the body shape and a rough approximation of the headstock, Jack Golder's memory deserves far better. You took your eye off the ball here Patrick James Eggle.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Dave B wrote:He also told me that there were 'no marshall or fender type ones - just AC30 and bass' which doesn't appear to be correct so pinch of salt to be taken here methinks...

Andertons think they exist. :)

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?sear ... pageSize:&

I almost bought a Shergold Masquerader as my second guitar back in 1978 , but ended up buying an Ibanez ST55 instead - and I'm glad I did. They had a certain English charm, and I was heavily influenced by Mike Rutherford's Shergold double neck at the time, but they weren't really rock guitars, which was what I was really after.

I agree the new ones are nothing really to do with the old ones. Mainly very good guitars but nothing like the originals except in general shape. One drawback is they are Les Paul heavy (I'd estimate around 10lbs) and could have been made lighter either by chambering or by using a slimmer body. A front-routed control cavity with a thick cover-plate would have given the guitars a look more like the originals whilst still allowing the current range's pickup choice. I think they could have made at least one model in the range a lot closer to the originals.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Next