You are here

Uneven whammy bar Return

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Uneven whammy bar Return

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm

So I was playing a rare live gig on electric. It's a Levinson Blade guitar and is well made with good quality parts, locking tuners etc. I was playing in drop D tuning and there was a lot of whammy bar work. (great fun was had!) All the higher strings would return back to in-tuneness except the low E string (now a low D). I've never noticed this before. Could this be because the new lower tension is so different on the low E? Just curious.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: Uneven whammy bar Return

Postby zenguitar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Always difficult to diagnose these things without getting your hands on the guitar. If the detuned D is flat after the trem use then the other 5 strings will actually be a little sharp but still in tune with each other so you won't notice.

I can think of two possible reasons for the Low E going flat after trem use. If you regularly keep it in standard tuning and detune for one gig then the string itself might need to stablise to the new tension. If it doesn't need to stablise, or you always keep it in drop D, then the reduced tension means that you have less downward pressure in the nut slot. This will allow the string to slide through the slot a little easier, so when you let go of the trem and it returns to full tension the string might have slipped slightly.

Finally, it could just be that that nut slut is rough/dirty and needs a little TLC.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby resistorman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:32 pm

I don't usually draw attention to misspellings, but the one in your last line gave me the first big guffaw of the day, Andy! Thanks...

Anyhow, yes, graphite anyone?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby zenguitar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:40 pm

:oops:

And not even a spell checker would have caught that one :lol:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:25 pm

I missed it first time around and it's still funny :clap:
Yes I was thinking graphite first. Maybe a string change next. For the performance I kept retuning using a Boss tuner in between tunes. (How can I work in the word tuna in that sentence?)
The tuner said all always came back except the low E. the guitar was left in drop D for 2 weeks although during the show there was a brief section where I had to tune back up to E, play and then quickly retune back to D. I have some pencils around so I will grind up some lead and sprinkle it on the nut and the little wheelie thing (excuse my technical talk) at the bridge. Unless professional graphite would be better?
Thanks for the thoughts.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Just try running some very fine grit sandpaper in the slots. I presume you'll be using ANSI grade papers, so say 800 grit. That's around P2000 in European grades. No need to grind up some graphite, just sharpen a soft pencil e.g. a 2B, and 'draw' in the slots until they look covered.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.