You are here

What kind/model of pickup when already using a Fishman Aura?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

What kind/model of pickup when already using a Fishman Aura?

Postby Floatstone » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi all,

I have a Fishman Aura which I use all the time for my 6 string guitar when playing gigs.
Since my beloved Takamine '98 Ltd edition is having major surgery I am resorting to an acoustic guitar that has no built-in pickup.
I am looking to install one.

Since I have the Fishman Aura for the guitar's signal to pass through, I am looking for feedback and advice on what kind of pickup to install on the guitar. High quality is important to me, but it would be foolish to invest in something that is redundant in combination with the Aura.

Thanks for your thoughts on this,
Brick
Floatstone

Re: What kind/model of pickup when already using a Fishman Aura?

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

The easiest answer is a soundhole pickup like a Fishman Rare Earth, some dislike them, I love mine and have them on my two 'conventional' acoustics. The Aylward and Emerald have non-standard sound holes so can't be fitted with a Rare Earth or I would probably have them on those too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I use an LR Baggs M1A soundhole on my Martin. My Fishman stays in the closet unless I need to put a pup in a second acoustic. The Baggs is fuller and richer to my ear.

Rarely do I use it alone though. I almost always have a mic pointed at the guitar too so I maximize choices for mix-down. (one great advantage of the digital age, storage is cheap!)

Sorry, all my stage experience is behind a drum set so I'm no help there.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 pm

I have long been an advocate of sound hole pick-ups in general. Fishman and Seymour Duncan Woodies are both worth trying, but I have also had good results with budget Antek models as well. If you are near a dealer who stocks a good range it might even be possible to audition several options in store in your own guitar. It's a matter of minutes to swap them in and out and see which works best with the guitar.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby DeanAkaNekro » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm

I've had really good results with a few including both good old soundhole pickups, under saddle piezo jobs and internal microphones along with the combination of an under saddle piezo and internal microphone.
With an all mahogany acoustic that has a generous cutaway, smaller body and string spacing which lends itself really well to fingerpicking, The DiMarzio DP-134 Elemental gives me results that I really like using an Aura in pedal format.

Fishmans' own Neo-D Humbucker model is another which works well I find with a Taylor big baby that I picked up after getting my Daughter a dinky original baby Taylor, I went with the spruce both times as the smaller sized mahogany option of the baby and big baby had too much of a boxy mid whilst the Spruce on both gave far more pleasing sonic results, I know these areas can be highly subjective along with change over time after having played in the top, They just didn't come near to the rich and detailed quality that my all mahogany acoustic delivers, It could have been a couple of duds or it could also have been the actual space I tried the mahogany baby and big baby which brought out just the sort of characteristics I'm not fond of though also, That is one down side to not always having the luxary/opportunity/choice of having an instrument and really any piece of gear within the comfort of one's own home/project studio setup where it is so much easier to evaluate in context rather than most retail outlets. So yes that is what I have in my big baby and what feeds into the Aura box.
The last one and also the most pricey which I have and use in my main acoustic guitar is one by RM Acoustics, It is called simply "acoustic Guitar pickup/microphone" and a link to it so anyone can have a look So anyone can have a look in case it fits criteria and you might want to seek one out to try or route around for demonstrations maybe Check out the gallery, They have a few youtube demos by different players.
That is in my trusty Yamaha which I've had for ages, It really does do it justice with the RM Acoustic pickup feeding the Fishman Aura, I'm able to get a slew of different sounds from it using the various options which deliver along with working excellent without the Aura processing the signal.
I do not get good results from the Fishman Aura from a Takamine which has the Cool Tube CTP-3 preamp system/circuitry and of the top of my head I can not remember the pickup, I'm sure it is an under saddle device, I'm pretty sure it's down to the Cool Tube preamp though and I just have never got around to doing a quick dirty hack job to bypass it, I rather like the various sounds I can achieve with the CTP-3 system, So yeah that one stays totally out of the way of the Aura processor.

My extremely humble 2 pence FWIW and as said it is definitely an area with much subjectivity. All the best to all
DeanAkaNekro
New here

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 pm

My mate also has a '98 Ltd Edition - I almost bought one but ended up with a Santa Fe instead as it was the nicer of the two guitars in Andertons. Both of these came with the Korg digital preamp. Are you still using that or have you swapped it for something else? I fitted an original Cool tube pre-amp in mine as I got fed up with the batteries only lasting 2 hours on the digital pre-amp.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm

I think you need an undersaddle style pickup and plug that into your Aura and set the mix at 50/50 after you find the guitar setting that is closest to your instrument.

I tried lots of things and settled on that by just following my ear.

So I have this pickup: http://www.djangobooks.com/Category/bigtone_pickup" target="phpbbpopup

on this guitar: http://www.altamiraguitar.com/m01f-2/?lang=en" target="phpbbpopup

plugged into the Aura set on Gypsy jazz, followed by a Fishman amp.

Folks like the sound. It's Like having a mic sound but with no feedback and hassle.

I think the under-saddle is key because the pickup is designed into the bridge so that it has a good tone. There is no contact point but instead the pickup vibrates with the bridge since it is part of the bridge. That contact point is where the 'honk' happens. So you have to get rid of the contact point altogether.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:11 am

TBF DC the Bigtone is not strictly an under saddle pickup, as you say it is encapsulated into the bridge. Also as you say the contact between the saddle/pickup/bridge in a conventional UST is what, I believe, causes the dreaded 'quack'. I don't know if the Aura can control that (a good preamp with a very high input impedance certainly helps) but, I'm an 'energetic' player and found that soundhole pickups are less prone to that spiky sound than USTs on flat top acoustics.

I have a Bigtone in my Aylward Selmer style and it's very good BTW I may try it with an Aura though I really fancy one of these :-

http://audiosprockets.com
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 pm

I like how you can teach these boxes the sound of your instrument so you can train it to blend in the mic sound when playing live.

To do that on the Aura you have to send them in the files and have them generate your own signature. But as far as I understand this 'tone dexter' has that learn function built in. So that's pretty cool.

It is much more fun to not sound like everybody else and have your own sound.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Yup, exactly, I haven't heard it in real life (though I hope to in a few weeks time as a mate has one of the few in the UK to date) but I believe it works well.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby petev3.1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Anyone care to comment on the Fishman Aura? I like the idea but does it work? Is it worth the money? Nylon strings and onboard p-ups have that electric overly-fast response that I don't like much. I fancy trying the Aura but it's pricey.
petev3.1
Frequent Poster