You are here

Adhesive pads for guitar

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Adhesive pads for guitar

Postby BJG145 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:13 am

A while ago I picked up an ACPad that was going cheap; a rubber MIDI-controller overlay designed to stick on an acoustic guitar. Unfortunately the sticky pads it uses are no longer sticky enough, and I haven't been able to get a replacement set yet.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other double-sided sticky thing that could be used to fix something securely but temporarily to the top of an acoustic...? While I wouldn't want to damage the surface, I don't mind about minor marks.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Adhesive pads for guitar

Postby Wonks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:43 am

I would suggest trying light tack masking tape and superglue. It's a luthier trick for sticking sandpaper to radiusing blocks (and similar). Stick the masking tape to the guitar to cover the area under the pad. Repeat for the underside of the pad. Carefully spread superglue over the masking tape on the guitar (you probably want to do this outside as superglue in any quantity produces nasty fumes). Don't overdo it as you don't want the glue spreading on the guitar, so leave a band round the edges with no glue on. You can get an accelerant spray for superglue, (which is recommended in this case), which you spray on the glue, then put the pad on top and press down.

The tape is now joined back to back with the superglue and although light tack, provides enough grip overall to keep the pad securely in place. It's certainly strong enough to keep sandpaper in place when sanding a fretboard. But it still allows you to prise the surfaces apart with a spatula/scraper. You may still need to use some glue remover after you've pulled the tape off, but there shouldn't be any permanent marks left.

I suggest trying it out on some scrap wood first.

Demoed here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6PsY4cgwg
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby BJG145 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks Wonks, that's an interesting hack.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm

BJG145 wrote:Thanks Wonks, that's an interesting hack.

i've done similar in the past by using 2 inch wide masking tape, with 1 inch wide self adhesive velcro in the middle of it ... as long as you're careful it makes the thing removable and replaceable , often handy if the instrument has to go in a hard case.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com