You are here

Anyone know about Framus Amps?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Anyone know about Framus Amps?

Postby un_quantized » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm no guitarist and this is not a brand I'd heard of, so trying to find out anything I can. The set up is a Red Rogue Amp head and 2 x 12 cab. It's turned up via daughter's bf who knows very little about it either, in fact he plays accordion.

Looks like a decent bit of kit but it's not a keyboard or piece of studio gear so I'm stumped. Very little about them online it seems, though they also make guitars and are part of Warwick now. I'll get some guitarist friends to give it a play once I can get it here but in the meantime, my curiosity is getting the better of me so hopefully some guitar heads can tell me something about it?
un_quantized
Regular

Re: Anyone know about Framus Amps?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 am

Framus is an old name, German I believe, guitar maker. The Framus Rogue combo looks like, as you say, a decent bit of kit but it's not clear without some more Googling if it's anything more than a badged Chinese amp. I'd notice they come in, at least two version, 25 and 50 watt and claim to be all tube (which bodes well).

Get your guitarist mates opinions and post them here as I suspect they are a big volume, badged amp (like recent Epiphones, Graingers and a few others) and could be anything from fantastic to dire......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby un_quantized » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks Sam, you are right of course, the proof of the pudding will be int he eating. I'll hopefully have a chance to get it set up next week or so. I'd be surprised if they are mass manufactured considering that there's so little on the inter webs about them, unless they really are the pits and no-one can be bothered to say anything about them.

This version is the separate head and 2 x 12 cab, the combos seem more common, I only found one picture of the separate head.
un_quantized
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 am

Framus in recent years has never been a big player in the UK. It's rare enough to find a Framus guitar in a shop, let alone their amps.

Here's a Guitarist review of a Framus amp https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guit ... -ii-365649 and that appears to be the only Framus amp they've got a review for on their website. Loads of Framus guitar reviews, just one amp review.

They look to be quite expensive, so a name not well known for amps and with quite high prices is probably not a brand a music shop wants to keep a lot of stock of. Although the modern Framus is a different outfit to the original one, which went bankrupt in 1975. the name was revived by Warwick in 1995.

And Framus no longer appear to make amps. No amps listed on the Framus/Warwick website.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby BigRedX » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Wonks wrote:Framus in recent years has never been a big player in the UK. It's rare enough to find a Framus guitar in a shop, let alone their amps.

That's because they are now part of Warwick and consequently are overpriced and have unrealistic expectations about dealer stock requirements.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby un_quantized » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks Wonks and BigRedX, all interesting stuff. I'm going to have to take the back off and see what speakers the cab has, interesting the review Wonks linked says they use two different speakers. The cab looks similar to that review model.
un_quantized
Regular

Postby un_quantized » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Finally managed to get a few guitarists to take this amp and cab for a spin in the last few days, and it seems to pass the taste test with everyone. Sounds pretty good to me, the lead / overdrive channel can definitely do some pretty impressive heavy guitar tones, clean sounds warm as would be expected from a valve amp. Did some basic recordings and it sounded sweet once we'd sorted out the vibration from the back panel with missing screws. Hopefully be able to find a happy buyer to take it on at some stage soon.
un_quantized
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:03 pm

They are pretty well regarded here in Norway, and I've played a couple heads over the years - but they were kinda massive (made to pair with 4x12s, usually) so never thought of actually getting one. They tend to be played by the heavy rock/metal gangs but they're pretty versatile and with the right settings you can get sweet tones out of them. That said, if you can play you can get sweet tones out of anything so not sure if that means much. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page