You are here

Helix firmware 2.53 - can anyone let me have a copy?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Helix firmware 2.53 - can anyone let me have a copy?

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

The Line 6 download site is refusing to let me download firmware 2.53 for the Helix. All I get is XML parsing error messages.

Can anyone please send me a copy of the latest firmware?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Helix firmware 2.53 - can anyone let me have a copy?

Postby zenguitar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Sorry Elf, I'd love to help and have a Line 6 account for my old Pod XT Pro but as I don't have a Helix registered it won't allow me to download the Helix firmware.

Lets hope someone with a Helix can help soon.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby zenguitar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Another thought, have you got the latest version of Line 6 Monkey?

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm doing this for a friend, so I have nothing, and he certainly won't be registered.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 pm

I have a mate who uses the Helix and I think he keeps up to date with releases. I'll drop him a line tomorrow and see what he has access to.

HTH
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:26 am

:clap: :clap:

Well done that man :)

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

Dave B wrote:I have a mate who uses the Helix and I think he keeps up to date with releases. I'll drop him a line tomorrow and see what he has access to.
This place always comes up trumps. Thanks, mate! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Mate will check and see if he's got it when he gets home.

What he did say is that there have been a number of similar complaints about the download on the Helix Facebook group, so it might sort it itself out in the mean time.

Whatever happens, we'll see if we can dump the file somewhere tonight. :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

The Elf wrote:The Line 6 download site is refusing to let me download firmware 2.53 for the Helix. All I get is XML parsing error messages.

Can anyone please send me a copy of the latest firmware?

PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.

You do have the Line 6 Updater application? You need this to install the firmware on the Helix and it should download the firmware directly from the Line 6 servers and install it on the Helix.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Elf, it might be a good idea to PM BigRedX - my mate will try and see what he can sort out tonight but he wasn't sure if the updater keeps the installer binaries or bins them. I should know tomorrow.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks, mate. The good Mr RedX has sent me the 2.53 update file. When I go back to the guy with the Helix I'll need to get him registered to be able to use the updater, and then hopefully I can do the update for him.

I have to say that the update procedure seems unnecessarily convoluted.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 pm

As someone who has only just started using the helix I have a agree that the updating process is completely impenetrable for new users. And it's not helped by the fact that the Line6 knowledge base and user forums have been down for several days now.

It turns out that the simplest way to dos it is to download the Line6 Updater application, and then use that to apply any new updates which it can find, download and apply so long as you are logged i to your Line 6 account. Which is overkill on the security since the various files you are downloading are completely and utterly useless without an actual hardware Helix!

You will also need the Helix Editing Application to load and save the any user patches as some of the firmware updates are so comprehensive that they could potentially reset the unit to its factory defaults.

Out of Interest does anyone here know how to:

1. Merge the upper and lower signal paths so I can have two inputs one with an extra EQ module on it feeding into the same main set of effects (the two paths don't need to be active simultaneously).

2. Make the bank select switches move the banks up and down one at a time rather than two. That way I don't have to try and use the upper set of footswitches to select patches.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby arkieboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm

BigRedX wrote:1. Merge the upper and lower signal paths so I can have two inputs one with an extra EQ module on it feeding into the same main set of effects (the two paths don't need to be active simultaneously)

If I have you right, you can do this without merging the paths. Put the extra EQ module on Path 1 and drag it down so it is on a branch of Path 1. Then drag the split point all the way to the left it will split from Path 1 and offer you the ability to specify the input it should listen to. You can balance the inputs from the parameters on the merge point. You can see this bit in page 18 of the Helix manual.

BigRedX wrote:2. Make the bank select switches move the banks up and down one at a time rather than two. That way I don't have to try and use the upper set of footswitches to select patches.

I think your solution here is 'preset mode switches'. You can set the Helix to show 8 presets, 8 snapshots, 8 stomps, and combinations of presets/stomps or snapshots/stomps. One configuration would have preset switches on the bottom row and stomps on the top row. Presumably bank up in this mode moves you forward just four presets. See page 54 of the manual.

Personally I find the updating procedure to be pretty easy and stress free - its no more difficult than updating your iPhone with iTunes surely? But then again I'm comparing that with the white knuckle ride that was my Axon AX100 MKII firmware update procedure which could easily brick the whole box.

(ed. qualified iPhone update to add iTunes. Of course its easier if your phone downloads and applies its own updates!)
arkieboy
Regular
arK music

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm soon getting a Helix, so I'll know what I'm talking about, but until then...

I was trying to get the looper to work in stereo, but I was having a heck of a time trying to achieve it. Placed at the end of the chain it seemed to record in mono; placed at the start of the chain it seemed to prevent a second pass into the loop.

Am I missing something?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby arkieboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Some blocks are available in stereo and mono, some in just mono. Placing a mono block after a stereo block converts the path to mono. That could be part of it.

I've not played with the looper much. Well at all. I've been trying to squeeze as much out of the processing resources as I can for my live rig. IRs are particularly flexible here as you can switch them out on a per-snapshot basis and flip between a 2x12 open back cab and a 4x12 closed back as you switch 'head' so they take much less resources than the cab models. I can get an AC30 and a Plexi in the same preset with a wah, a compressor, a fuzzbox and then in stereo post cab a noise gate, chorus, flanger, reverb and three different delays including the space echo simulator(!).

Its nice that you can rig it up to MainStage too and use it as an audio and midi interface simultaneously as its modelling your guitar amplifiers - I have my bass pedals plugged in and your bass pedal samples locked and loaded!
arkieboy
Regular
arK music