You are here

Pitbull guitar kits

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pitbull guitar kits

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 am

I have a thing for natural wood finish guitars so given how nice the ply is I'm going to add this to the collection. So from that perspective the work on the body is now largely just sand-oil-repeat using ever finer grit and moving to diluted oil.
The neck has a couple of spots that have highlighted where I haven't done a good enough job on the sanding yet, particularly around the inside of the heel curve. Might need to make myself a mini curved sanding block.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Installing the electronics in an archtop is akin to performing gynaecology with a backhoe. But the basic principle is to feed everything in through the pickup aperture. Or you could just use a pickguard mounted volume and jack socket (and a floating pickup..... oh hang about the PU hole is already there)? It is easier with a single pickup guitar as you only need a single volume and tone and a jack socket (I wired an ES175 clone with 2 x V&T controls, selector switch on the upper bout and jack socket). If you can manage without a tone control, even easier. To get the jack installed make up a length of wire coat hanger with the tip and sleeve of a jack socket soldered to the end, feed the nut and washer on before threading it through to the pickup hole, pop the socket on it and pull it back through. The pots are a little more difficult but fee two ends of some link up wire through from the holes (nuts threaded first) to the PU hole and twist the stripped ends around the neck of the pot shafts, squeeze the wire onto the slot and gently pull through. Before you start wire up everything on a cardboard template so the lengths are right and Robert is you relative.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Random Guitarist » Tue May 01, 2018 12:06 pm

If you can get some easily, silicon tubing is great pulling for the pots through.
Feed it into the hole and slip over the knurled shaft then just pull the tube out and the pot comes with it
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:If you can get some easily, silicon tubing is great pulling for the pots through.
Feed it into the hole and slip over the knurled shaft then just pull the tube out and the pot comes with it

Neat :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks both! Suggestions filed for later :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue May 01, 2018 5:45 pm

And here's another wiring trick for semis.

Get a piece of cardboard and copy the pick-up cavity, holes for pots and switches, and the jack socket and also the f hole. Then you can flip the card over, put the pick-up and parts in place and wire everything up.

Then you have a complete wiring loom that you know will fit without lots of extra cable flapping around. And you can ensure that the loom is not visible through the f hole.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Also neat :thumbup: I had thought of (and suggested) a cardboard template but wouldn't have thought of marking the f holes..... Genius......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue May 01, 2018 6:25 pm

It's an easier guitar compared to most as being hollow-bodied, you can fit full-sized pots and the jack through the pickup hole. It's a lot trickier with F-holes and semi-hollows.

I'd ditch the thin kit wire and use some stiff wire between the volume and tone pots and a decent capacitor with stiff legs (like a Sprague orange drop), and do the cardboard template thing, and it's really easy to pull things through. I normally use cotton for pots and string with knots in for the jack socket (I use blu-tac to weight the lines so they hang down when standing the body upright and so can angle them so they appear at the relevant hole).

The tubing can work well, but on some kits you need a lot of it and you've still got to get it through the small pot holes and then out again through the pickup hole. Easier to do on thinner semi-hollow kits where you're using the F-hole and that's near the control holes, but for a full deep hollow body, I'd think cotton and string would be easiest. An extra pair of hands is always welcome at this stage, so they can hold the end of the shaft whilst you cut the cotton away and do the nuts up.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanking y'all. I'd had a template in mind but, like Sam, hadn't considered marking the F Holes. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 pm

TBH, it's not an issue on that kit with both controls on the one side of the F-hole. More of one on a 335-style with controls on both sides and you need to wire in a U-shape.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 01, 2018 9:11 pm

It is something that i considered before I bought it. I was thinking cotton trailers then.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue May 01, 2018 10:13 pm

With two pots, tie each one to different ends of the same piece of cotton (once the cotton has passed through both holes, so then the cotton can't get pulled through by mistake.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Cunning :thumbup:

Of course I'll have forgotten all this by the time i actually get around to that point in the build... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Yeah, obviously but it'll all be here for you to find when the time comes :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Still loads to do (mostly more oiling and sanding) but you can see what I'm aiming for:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/W7z2oKRQq9pyDg9D8
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Or like this (without having to go to to the google drive page).

Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

Right, i have to ask how you did that Wonks as i can never seem to get it working on this forum?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:08 am

For Win 10 - I first clicked on the picture in the link so that just the picture displayed on the screen, then right clicked and chose 'copy image location'.

Then on the forum posting page, I clicked on the 'Img' icon and pasted the link between the Img brackets.

Sometimes deleting the 's' in the https: so its just http: can help if it's not displaying properly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:41 am

I swear I've tried that before and it hasn't worked. Ho hum. Will give it a go next time.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:41 am

There you go!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext