You are here

What to do?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: What to do?

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:01 pm

BigRedX wrote:Can someone please explain to me the attraction of the Telecaster Guitar. I just don't get it.

Strats are boring. Les Paul’s are poncey. SGs are ugly.

Teles are just basic, wood, strings, fingers. They are honest, and a worn Tele to me feels like it has stories to tell. I just like them.

Plus, Crossroads...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm

desmond wrote:Plus, Crossroads...

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Yep, Benny was a Tele fan...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm

More than that, he was on it!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:39 pm

LdashD wrote:Tele's are dead sexy, can't keep me 'ands off mine, ask me missus...

To me it would be difficult to think of a guitar less sexy than a Telecaster.

desmond wrote:
BigRedX wrote:Can someone please explain to me the attraction of the Telecaster Guitar. I just don't get it.
Teles are just basic, wood, strings, fingers. They are honest, and a worn Tele to me feels like it has stories to tell.

And that I think is the problem I have with Telecasters. I comes with all that "honest", "workmanlike", "authentic" baggage. And I just don't want that from either my music or my musical instruments. I want fantastical and flamboyant. That's partly why I ditched guitars and basses for most of 80s and played synths because that was where all the glamour was.

These days I'm back with stringed instruments - Gus G3 bass and G1 Guitar, Warwick StarBass, Sei Flamboyant, Fretking Esprit, Hallmark Wingbat. They are my kinds of instruments.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Well l didn't get the Tele today - I mean my friend didn't :headbang:

After careful consideration he decided that he could live with his conscience but he couldn't live with the doubt if he went for the butterscotch 50's model, with maple board and soft V profiled neck, because it was available today rather than the faded sonic blue 60's model with the C profile which will need to come from further afield.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:08 pm

As long as all your friend's guitars are the same colour, his wife will never figure out that they are in fact different guitars.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 pm

BigRedX wrote:And that I think is the problem I have with Telecasters. I comes with all that "honest", "workmanlike", "authentic" baggage. And I just don't want that from either my music or my musical instruments. I want fantastical and flamboyant.

Yes, it really depends on what aesthetic appeals to the individual.

We can try to rationalise it all we like, but it generally just comes down to "Well I just *like* them"... :blush:

I'm definitely not the flamboyant type... :shock: :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Music Wolf wrote:...he couldn't live with the doubt if he went for the butterscotch 50's model, with maple board and soft V profiled neck, because it was available today rather than the faded sonic blue 60's model with the C profile which will need to come from further afield.

I have now lost all faith in guitar-buying humanity. Or rather non-guitar buying humanity. Where did it all go wrong? :?: :o :(
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 pm

What a massive Tele tease. :(
Was looking forward to photos of you and the tortoise playfully jamming together to 'I set my face to the hillside' and other Tortoise classics.
My weekend has only been saved by the local Jazz Festival where I danced with wild abandon whilst everyone else looked like a tortoise on Mogadon.
Amazing that nobody else was dancing at an outdoor gig in the sun whilst the band played a groovin' version of Chain of Fools.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Wonks wrote:
Music Wolf wrote:...he couldn't live with the doubt if he went for the butterscotch 50's model, with maple board and soft V profiled neck, because it was available today rather than the faded sonic blue 60's model with the C profile which will need to come from further afield.

I have now lost all faith in guitar-buying humanity. Or rather non-guitar buying humanity. Where did it all go wrong? :?: :o :(
Indeed!
I think Music Wolf's friend should be ostracised for total lack of commitment.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby awjoe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:41 am

Folderol wrote:
Wonks wrote:

Indeed!
I think Music Wolf's friend should be ostracised for total lack of commitment.

I mean, how much enabling does one friend need?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Alba » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Its simple, but it requires the purchase of a real tortoiseshell pickguard.

First, buy the new tele and change the pickguard. Then tell your wife that you accidentally and unknowingly knocked the tomato basket onto the floor and your tortoise overdosed on tomatoes, its tragic, there was nothing anyone could do.

Your son would have been heartbroken, you quietly found him a replacement tortoise. Not easy finding another one that looked the same and also liked tomatoes but you managed it.

Next tell your wife that you had the tortoises shell made into a pickguard as a tribute and something to remember him by, but the chap who did the work made it the wrong shape and used a tele template instead of the one you had provided him for an existing guitar.

You rushed out trying to find a guitar that the pick guard would fit. Almost impossibly and after days of searching you saw the ideal instrument on which to place this most fitting tribute. You didn't want to spend the money, you wanted to spend the money on a gift for her... but what about the boy, it was his tortoise.

You could get some of these too https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SLY-REDS-TORTOISE-SHELL-GUITAR-PICK-100-LEGAL-TO-OWN-L-K/123182439688?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52817%26meid%3D0bb423bb5506461a935beb22372c2377%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D123184315333%26itm%3D123182439688&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Alba wrote:Its simple, but it requires the purchase of a real tortoiseshell pickguard.

First, buy the new tele and change the pickguard. Then tell your wife that you accidentally and unknowingly knocked the tomato basket onto the floor and your tortoise overdosed on tomatoes, its tragic, there was nothing anyone could do.

Your son would have been heartbroken, you quietly found him a replacement tortoise. Not easy finding another one that looked the same and also liked tomatoes but you managed it.

Next tell your wife that you had the tortoises shell made into a pickguard as a tribute and something to remember him by, but the chap who did the work made it the wrong shape and used a tele template instead of the one you had provided him for an existing guitar.

You rushed out trying to find a guitar that the pick guard would fit. Almost impossibly and after days of searching you saw the ideal instrument on which to place this most fitting tribute. You didn't want to spend the money, you wanted to spend the money on a gift for her... but what about the boy, it was his tortoise.

What could possibly go wrong? Mind you, if I were the tortoise, I'd be getting very nervous at this point
Regards, John Egan
John Egan
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:55 pm

They do say, "If you're going to tell a lie, tell a whopper!"
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm afraid. Music Wolf, that one one really has no choice but to do the gentlemanly thing.

One must take oneself into the study, lock the door and...

Take up the drumming instead.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:21 am

:o :oops:
I know Music Wolf (sorry, his friend, Muzak Wolf) let himself and the rest of the music world down by failing to give in to his GAS, but you may have overstepped the line there Wonks - can there be a more brutal form of excommunication that the d-word? :(
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Alba » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 am

Cowbell?
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am

Triangle?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am

Second viola?
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

PreviousNext