You are here

Robot Tuners

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Robot Tuners

Postby Alba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am

Anyone tried them?

Was doing some searching and found this 'Roadie' automatic tuner... anyone tried that?

I want to retune a 12-string quickly and am searching for solutions..

Many Thanks in advance.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Re: Robot Tuners

Postby ore_terra » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 am

you mean the ones gibson was mounting in 2015?

I've tried them (had a 2015 LP junior for a while). it's not [url=that]that[/url] quick. it's not like you just press the button and 1 second later the guitar is tuned... it takes a while and sometimes it doesnt find the right tuning for a string and it keeps moving up and down.

I thought I would be able to use it to change tuning quickly between songs, but no way. for this purpose it's not much quicker than doing it old style.

anyway for a 12 strings it may be quicker and easier indeed than manually.

... do they make them for 12 strings anyway?
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 pm

The Roadie tuner is different to the Tronical system (which I believe Gibson licensed for their Robot Guitar). We had a Roadie 2 tuner in the office a while back, and I tried it out on a normal 6-string acoustic and found it very easy to use, very fast, and adequately accurate — but I sent it on to a reviewer who has umpteen acoustic instruments (four different sizes of ukelele, three different sizes of banjo, obscure Greek instruments, etc etc!) and also uses lots of non-standard tunings, and he found it worked better on some instruments than others (depending largely on the types of tuners the instruments had), and had mixed results when trying to do micro-tuning stuff (a few cents up on the G string, a few down on the low E to compensate for thumb fretting, that kind of thing).

It's probably fair to say that it works very well if you want to standard-tune a guitar very quickly and with no fuss, but isn't quite so hot if you want to delve much deeper.

However, a few days ago we were sent the Bass version, which has stronger motors, is larger and, as a consequence, can fit more 'proper' controls on the unit itself (rather than having to be configured by an app). That Bass version also includes all the functionality of the 'normal' non-Bass one, and so would be the only one you'd ever need. It also, I believe, shipped with the latest version of the Roadie firmware. I'm not sure if my reviewer tried updating the firmware on the Roadie 2 (it's possible that would sort out the niggles he encountered), but I'll check, and I'll get him to look at the Bass version as well.

Stay tuned!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 pm

One of the reasons my Variax acoustic is still my main gigging guitar is the digital re-tuning options, instant open tuning at the touch of a button. Lovely. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ore_terra » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 pm

The Korff wrote:The Roadie tuner is different to the Tronical system (which I believe Gibson licensed for their Robot Guitar).
yes... just googled it... ignore my post, please :headbang: :headbang:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:55 pm

The 'Roadie' had slipped under my radar, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The other guitarist in my band turned up one week with a brand new Les Paul complete with robot tuner. He hadn't spent much time with the guitar and, entirely predictably, he had great difficulty getting to grips with the robot tuner and gave up. On the Gibson it is difficult to see with the guitar on the strap and the controls are difficult to see (little black buttons on a black background - well done). Given that we all need reading glasses it was probably not a good idea to try it out in a band rehearsal before becoming completely familial with it at home.

The Roadie looks to be far more useful but, given that I'm already hooked up to two tuners in my rig, with three displays (the Kemper's tuner can be activated and read from both the front panel and the floor controller and the VoiceLive2 has a very clear display - probably the most user friendly of all the tuners I've used), I think that it would be just a case of GAS / laziness if I bought one. Mind you, I am lazy and I do suffer from GAS.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:02 pm

I am a big fan of the Tronical / Gibson system, but yes, it's vital to learn the user interface before using it in anger, as it's all based on sequences of button presses that aren't easily guessable!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:06 pm

I know of several people who've ditched the Gibson-fitted robot tuners as they've suddenly gone wild mid-gig/mid-song and dumped the tuning all over the place without anyone touching anything.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Alba » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am

blinddrew wrote:One of the reasons my Variax acoustic is still my main gigging guitar is the digital re-tuning options, instant open tuning at the touch of a button. Lovely. :)

Very interesting instrument, never had a go at one myself though. Which one do you use, the 300 or 700?
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:08 pm

I've got the 700, a few features the 300 didn't have (though I can't remember what now!) and better finished as a guitar so much nicer to play.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...