You are here

New favourite pick

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

New favourite pick

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 am

Having gone through a variety of different picks over the years, I recently discovered the Dunlop Jazz III. I think this could be the one.

(I found it randomly lying around, subsequently saw it had been adopted by Bonamassa. Also Eric Johnson and John Petrucci.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: New favourite pick

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 am

Can there be 'the one' when it comes to picks?

I recently tried some buffalo horn picks and was initially unsure about them. Then I got a 'proper' archtop, and suddenly they make perfect sense. The ability to use them to really drive the strings/tone of that guitar is fantastic. They suck with my tele though ;)

I will of course be buying some of these picks to try them out.

Thx for the link.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:25 am

Random Guitarist wrote:Can there be 'the one' when it comes to picks?

Yes there can (well almost) :-

TBF, while I do prefer and use the smaller "Twins" version for electric (about the same size as the dunlop mentioned in the OP but still 3.5mm thick) I'm happy using these for everything and they're what I always have to hand.

I recently tried some buffalo horn picks and was initially unsure about them. Then I got a 'proper' archtop, and suddenly they make perfect sense. The ability to use them to really drive the strings/tone of that guitar is fantastic. They suck with my tele though ;)

Similar principle, big, fat and heavy. Better control, drive the top hard when required (particularly archtop and Selmer style guitars but works well on a big dread too) and hard material retains more brightness than softer plastic pics. I'd have though the slightly less brightness of a fat pick would suit a Tele, never renowned for being a 'mellow' guitar? I don't play Teles (but keep nearly buying one......) but Strats mainly (one vintage rep and one with P90s) and those pics work great for me.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am

I've been using the Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks for donkey's.

The grip is just perfect, I rarely have it slip out of my fingers and it's really comfortable to hold. The thickness as well helps me to play fast (although I'd never claim to be good at "shredding").

It's all personal taste though, so congratulations on finding what works for you :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am

With a distorted electric sound pretty much anything goes, the pic makes little difference to the tone (if you favour heavier stings too thin a pick will lose you dynamics) but on acoustic guitars thin picks are the kiss of death. Ok, it is personal preference, but if you spend several thousand pounds on a nice acoustic you want it to sound as the builder intended and a 0.6mm nylon pick just ain't going to do that. :headbang:

edit :- a thought has just occurred to me, maybe the thinnest pick you should ever consider using on an acoustic guitar should be at least as stiff as your thumbnail....... For me that's around a 1mm tortex but I still prefer much stiffer than that as if I'm flatpicking I probably want to be louder than I could get with fingernails.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:41 am

With the small proviso that if you're recording (rather than for live use), sometimes all you want is that almost-brush-like sound of a thin pick tickling the strings.
So having a good selection lying around is always useful.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am

I haven't tried any of the "new" pick technology but I have quite a collection of old school picks. (If I can call them that)
I do reach for different picks depending on acoustic or electric instruments. Because of these pick threads I've been noticing I tend to reach for a Dunlop nylon more often than not.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:49 pm

blinddrew wrote:With the small proviso that if you're recording (rather than for live use), sometimes all you want is that almost-brush-like sound of a thin pick tickling the strings.
So having a good selection lying around is always useful.

:D I can just about accept that if I tell myself it's strictly as a special effect.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:With a distorted electric sound pretty much anything goes, the pic makes little difference to the tone (if you favour heavier stings too thin a pick will lose you dynamics) but on acoustic guitars thin picks are the kiss of death. Ok, it is personal preference, but if you spend several thousand pounds on a nice acoustic you want it to sound as the builder intended and a 0.6mm nylon pick just ain't going to do that. :headbang:

I used to think thin picks were better for acoustic, until I was corrected by this very forum!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:18 pm

You use what bloody pick you want, and if it's easy to play and makes you happy, then keep using it. There are no right or wrongs here, just personal preference and differing techniques and sound preferences.

But do experiment. You might try a heavier pick and hate it, so don't use it just because someone else says it's the right pick to use. On the other hand you may love it, in which case, stick with it. And vice-versa with thin and medium picks.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Well........ Yes Wonks you are right........ And definitely don't make assumptions about how you think different picks will sound :thumbup:

I do stand by the 'as the builder intended' comment though.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:29 pm

garrettendi wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:With a distorted electric sound pretty much anything goes, the pic makes little difference to the tone (if you favour heavier stings too thin a pick will lose you dynamics) but on acoustic guitars thin picks are the kiss of death. Ok, it is personal preference, but if you spend several thousand pounds on a nice acoustic you want it to sound as the builder intended and a 0.6mm nylon pick just ain't going to do that. :headbang:

I used to think thin picks were better for acoustic, until I was corrected by this very forum!

Purely out of interest, what do you use on acoustic now Garrett?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Same as my electric. The 1.14 mm pick. I used to use the thinnest Tortex around but I switched when I started using the 1.14mm on my electric.

I still believed the thinner one was better for struming but I mainly play blues lead now.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Basically when strumming the thinner picks make me feel a bit looser as they hit the strings, if that's the right way to put it, but I couldn't be arsed to buy two different picks.

That money is better spent on something more important. Like beer.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:09 pm

garrettendi wrote:, but I couldn't be arsed to buy two different picks.

Yep I tend to agree that's why I've got a big box of of different picks because I keep looking for the one pick that does everything, if you follow me. These days I've pretty much settled on Ultex Sharp 1mm, but will play with anything from that up to a 50p piece.

My favourite pick is a piece of real tortoiseshell but I am so paranoid about losing it that it's locked away and I never use it. I've also got a bit of thin pebble I found on a beach I like, similarly hidden somewhere safe. How daft is that. I do the same with clothes - never wear the stuff I like in case I'm sick on it or something.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:55 am

Strumming with a hard pick is just technique like anything else. You need to be more accurate but loose. It's definitely better for more sophisticated strumming/picking/muting techniques but definitely not as forgiving.

Then we get on to how you hold the pick and stuff like 'pick slanting' (whatever that means, I watched the whole video a while ago and still haven't got a clue :headbang: ). Have fun :thumb up:

Re Tortoiseshell, Michael Wegen uses a material reputed to be very close in feel and sound, and it's readily available so no worries about wearing them out (though he says he will replace a worn out pick foc) or them getting lost.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Strumming with a hard pick is just technique like anything else. You need to be more accurate but loose. It's definitely better for more sophisticated strumming/picking/muting techniques but definitely not as forgiving.

Yeah I'm happier with anything over 1mm up to anything really. Jack of some trades on the guitar so tend to use the same pick for electric, acoustic and mandolin, can't be bothered switching picks between songs, just something else to go wrong. I guess I've learned to be not too fussy and get on with what I've got. I tried one of those gypsy Wegen picks recently (being used by another player), got on with it fine and might well look into one of those..

Bigger problem is my nails. Had some acrylics put on in March, which were great and lasted well into May, but now they are off my nails are in a dreadful state - dried out, flaky, thin, basically useless.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Yup, nails are a real problem and while acrylics do work they don't do your real nails any favours at all.......

I use my Wegen GJ picks for everything as I said above. If you want something a little more economical try his BlueGrass picks, they look like a standard tortex with some holes in but are 1.4mm thick and made from Michael's super hard pic material. I have a few as my backup picks.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Alba » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Sally Hansen Diamond Nails for me. I'm not gigging but play two plus hours a day with fairly heavy strings and a twelve string and my nails keep fine.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Alba wrote:Sally Hansen Diamond Nails for me.

So the stilettos and fishnets are just a lifestyle choice then? ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Next