You are here

Strat brought back to life

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Strat brought back to life

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am

I’ve owned a US Standard Strat for about 8 years but it has fallen from grace. Although I still use it in the studio, to add some variety, I haven’t gigged it for some time. It’s been modded with Bare Knuckles (HSS configuration) but, despite having a nice acoustic sound, it just didn’t work amplified.

I’ve just joined another band so I’ve been re-evaluating my live set up. It felt as though a Strat was needed so I gave it another try. I was thinking of reverting to the original pickups but first I raised the action (it was far too low for my playing style these days). A fraction of a mm extra on the string height and it has suddenly come to life.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Re: Strat brought back to life

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 am

Weird how things like that can make such a difference. It's almost as if we're not dealing with a computer-controlled, precision instrument and just hitting a bit of tensioned wire clamped to a lump of wood... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:57 pm

:bouncy:

Most pleased to hear that your fraction of a millimeter worked wonders Music Wolf :thumbup:
Martin Walker

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Sounds like the action was too low before and the frets were choking the strings off?

I have an American strat and the best sound to my ear comes from when I set the action up high enough so that I can hit it hard, give the strings room to move and use heavier, higher tension all nickel strings: https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-string ... ngs#P02250

The higher tension strings seems to wake up the vibration of the wood guitar body more and the higher action keeps the strings from getting pinched off.

The all nickel strings have a more classic tone - less ringiness and rattliness - more smooth crunch and purity.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm

mmmm I used to pursue lower-than-low action just for the sake of it. recently taken to raising the action on my stalwarts - all Strat and Tele pattern guitars. Some guitars were just made to push back a little!
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Playing a lot of acoustic guitar means I like a bit of resistance on my electrics, (next restring I'll put 11s on the LP) so I no longer look for the lowest possible action. I do like slim necks though and had the vintage Strat rep's neck thinned a little last year. It's usually the backup but next gig is a soul band feel so I dug it out and used it in rehearsal, pos 2 in between sound (neck/mid) is lovely and gets close enough to a Tele sound for those Steve Cropper licks :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:11 pm

It may just be that small bit of extra distance from the pickups has reduced the magnet pull and let the strings move more freely as well.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Wonks wrote:It may just be that small bit of extra distance from the pickups has reduced the magnet pull and let the strings move more freely as well.

Yep, that could have a been a real drag Wonks :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker