You are here

Guitar Case choice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Guitar Case choice

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Looking at buying a new guitar case for my baja telecaster as the supplied gig bag is now looking a bit shabby....

I want a hard case so I can just throw the guitar into the car boot without having to worry too much. looking for something that will accommodate a tele, a strat and an Ibanez with an SG shape. I have read that a proper flight case will be overkill, too heavy to be walking around with.

Have a shortlist of:

Hiscox STD EF
https://www.hiscoxcases.com/product/ef-fender-electric-guitar-case/

SKB 66 Pro
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=775&offset=&c=75&s=

Flightcase Warehouse
http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=fender-telecaster-electric-guitar-hard-case-11568-3961
http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=fender-telecaster-electric-guitar-hard-case-11565-3961

They are prices between £80 and £130 and I expect any would do the job. I just need to measure the guitars to confirm there is enough room.

The flightcase warehouse comes in the heaviest at 5 kilos and the others are slightly lighter. I am slightly put off the SKB case as one of the Thomann reviews claims the plastic smell is overbearing but they could just be sensitive to to the smell. At the moment I am thinking of going for the flightcase warehouse model as it is built out of aluminium, rather than plastic, and the deciding factor for me may be using the more sustainable material.

Has anyone any thoughts about choosing a rectangular case or a case shaped to the guitar?

I am thinking a rectangular case, so I can have that little bit more storage inside. I usually take it to open mic nights with a DI amp sim box and two cables to go straight in the PA.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Re: Guitar Case choice

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I'd go with the rectangular case for a couple of reasons, the first being the additional carrying capacity, the second being that if it's seen in the back of a car / corner of a venue etc, it's much less obvious what it is.
Similarly, draping it with a blanket gives much better obscurity than having a guitar-shaped object.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

If you are dead set on a hard case I would get a Hiscox, provided that it fits all the guitars you want to transport in it, since IME it offers the best level of protection.

However have you looked at the latest semi-rigid cases from the likes of Mono?

While some makes are close in size and weight to the Hiscox, some (the Mono range in particular) are relatively compact and light.

And just in case you are thinking that they don't offer a lot of protection, my Mono M80 bass case saved my very expensive Gus G3 bass when it had a heavy 4 x 10 bass cab dropped onto it from about 4 foot. Not only was the bass completely unscathed, but because the case has a degree of "give" in it the cab also remained undamaged.

If that had been a hard case I would suspect that either the case or the cab would not have survived as well.

Also the softer nature of the semi rigid case means that it will fit into a tightly packed vehicle where a traditional hard case might not.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:14 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'd go with the rectangular case for a couple of reasons, the first being the additional carrying capacity, the second being that if it's seen in the back of a car / corner of a venue etc, it's much less obvious what it is.
Similarly, draping it with a blanket gives much better obscurity than having a guitar-shaped object.

I never thought of that, thanks.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:16 pm

I've had a Hiscox case for my Patrick Eggle for around 25 years, my US Strat came supplied with the SKB case (about 8 years old). I'd happily have either of these two again.

The Hiscox case takes up a little less boot space plus it's lasted well. I don't know which grade / thickness of ABS it's made from (there are three levels), I suspect that it is the lowest. Balance on the handle isn't the best.

The SKB is really nice and it's lighter than the traditional Fender or PRS rectangular cases that I own. When I last looked it was quite a bit more expensive than the Hiscox.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:23 pm

BigRedX wrote:If you are dead set on a hard case I would get a Hiscox, provided that it fits all the guitars you want to transport in it, since IME it offers the best level of protection.

However have you looked at the latest semi-rigid cases from the likes of Mono?

The Hiscox cases are well thought of, a friend has one and is happy with it.

Had a quick look at the Mono cases, they look nice but a little more expensive...
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Music Wolf wrote:
The SKB is really nice and it's lighter than the traditional Fender or PRS rectangular cases that I own. When I last looked it was quite a bit more expensive than the Hiscox.

The SKB is the most expensive on my list, although I did find a retailer selling them cheap the other day.

The flightcase warehouse models are the least expensive at £70.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm

https://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/skb-66-strat-tele.html

SKB 66 at £106...

That is not the SKB 66 Pro though....they seem to come in around the £136 mark.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm

All the Hiscox cases have all the fittings attached fully to the aluminium edge insert, which is deeper than on most other cases, which normally end up with parts of the catches riveted to the plastic case (not the aluminium frame). The case thickness is either 1.5mm, 2mm or 2.5 mm depending on the range you go for (thicker = dearer). But Hiscox say that it's the foam used inside that provides most of the protection and they've improved the formula over the years.

I've had the handle fall off one (late 80s build but only after a couple of years) and the internal accessories box came off and needed repairing after a bit of use. A friends' had an edge smashed on one of his after hitting a wall as he was carrying it (well, if he will carry walls around etc...) , so they aren't indestructible. Whilst I do like them, I do think they could be a bit better made for the price charged.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.