You are here

Capos

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Capos

Postby ef37a » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:34 am

Is that the correct plural?
Anyway, my son has never, AFAIK used one in 30yrs guitar playing and I wondered what the expert gitists at SoS forum thought?

Drawbacks? Good ones, bad ones, how much should (dad!) pay?

He has a Mex Tele and a "similar to" Lennon Ricky. Also a concert classical but I guess use of a capo would be frowned upon?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Capos

Postby Hewesy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:21 am

Hi Dave,

Some people love capo's, some think they are a complete cop out, so my advice is use it on whatever instrument you like as someone, somewhere will be frowning upon it :)

G7TH capo's are a lovely bit of kit, very well engineered, last years and generally fit most instruments so you can just buy one to cover most uses.

Personally though I still prefer the older Shubb capo's, they're a lighter weight (some G7TH models can be a little heavy on some guitars IMO) and you can buy a version for pretty much any application, even mandolins. That does mean having multiple capo's mind, though that way you can leave them in that instruments gig bag so you know you have it.

Either way one capo should fit both the Tele and Ricky, but the classical would likely have a flat radius 'board so might need something more bespoke. If he is playing classical or Spanish styles on the nylon then he won't need one - however if he is using it as a more generic acoustic for pop/rock stuff then it would be useful but probably a cheaper steel string would be a better bet as I don't know how well a capo would work on a flat radius (Zen, Wonks?).

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am

I've been using Shubb capos for many years.

The problem is that for every capo that one person recommends another person will have problems using it. There are plenty of good capos out there but the only way for your son to find what works for him is to try one.

The great thing about Shubb is that they are among the more affordable of the good capos. Prices range from about £15 to £25 and as already mentioned there are models for all sorts of stringed instruments. They have flat models for classicals as well as radiused ones for electrics and streel string acoustics.

Andy
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ore_terra » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:32 am

I own or have owned almost every single type of capo, cheap or expensive. I like the shubb’s too, but I think nothing compares to G7th’s. The mkII is even better than the 1st issue.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:14 pm

G7th works for me too, but then I haven't tried many apart from the once ubiquitous Jim Dunlop strap and multiple metal eared capos - and they worked well but weren't as quick to fix.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:16 pm

I use capos a lot (because I'm not a good enough guitarist to re-key easily!) and my current favourites are a standard Shubb or, where I might need to move it quickly, one of these: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/planet-waves-n ... P0QAvD_BwE
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:24 pm

blinddrew wrote:I use capos a lot (because I'm not a good enough guitarist to re-key easily!) and my current favourites are a standard Shubb or, where I might need to move it quickly, one of these: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/planet-waves-n ... P0QAvD_BwE

Ah! You may have answered my question Drew. Son has always been able to move across keys to suit singers. I recall a particularly tricky time with Danny Boy and a very *****d Irishman!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Actually a trigger capo is a really useful thing to have as you can get into partial capo'ing, especially if you pair with a fixed capo (check out Jon Boden using Bb tuning, fabulous sound).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT6O0riAV3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72fTUWBeWk

They're also great to bung on the headstock ready to go - or lend to someone else!

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Another satisfied G7th user here.

I’m usually comfortable switching keys but sometimes you want to preserve some open chord voicings. If I’m working on my own music I also like to double up a rhythm part with one guitar capo’d up. Helps to restore a little variety when everything is being played by the same person.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Freelance Subversive » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Hewesy wrote:Hi Dave,

Some people love capo's, some think they are a complete cop out, so my advice is use it on whatever instrument you like as someone, somewhere will be frowning upon it :)

Hewesy

Agree with the above, also to add that I believe disdain for capos is utter nonsense; they have a purpose, e.g preservation of open-voicings — and most of the better ones work well.

You can't go far wrong with Shubb — they're light, well-made, relatively inexpensive, unobtrusive and available in a range of types for different applications. I've used one on electrics for 35 years and the rubber sleeve is only just displaying signs of wear. Harrison, Lennon, McCartney all used a capo occasionally, so you'd be in good company.

For acoustics, I use an original Paige yoke-type (each guitar has its own). In respect of finger-style and Celtic, a capo is an essential piece of kit; for good or for ill they can radically alter the timbre of the instrument, producing some interesting effects. Here a capo also permits difficult fingerings, just as much as it solves the problem of. Eric Roche, Pierre Bensuan, Tony Mcmanus, Jacques Stotzem all use(d) one.

For classical/flamenco guitars I have the inexpensive Dunlop flat-radius, adjustable cantilever-type. In classical it is rare — some pieces require one in order to produce a tighter, more lute-like sound, but in flamenco again they're a necessity to maintain open-voicings as well altering timbre. John Williams; Paco Peña, Juan Martin and Paco de Lucía all use(d) one.

The G7th capos are very nice, but also quite bulky the last time I tried one. Trigger capos are great for partial capo'ing with another in place; also allowing for quick, mid-piece altered tunings.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby ore_terra » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Dont take flamenco players capo use as guidance... no matter how many times you show them there are much better and reliable options than the crappy flat dunlops, a crayon with a shoestring (yes...) or that sort of thing, they’ll never change :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:35 pm

+1 for the Shubb, and I also like the Kyser for a quick change - like the Jim Dunlop but the spring seems a better tension for keeping things in tune..

I used a G7 (the original) for a while but didn't get on with it. Heavyish, and the rubber wears out under the strings causing buzzes. It's OK but I don't use it for gigging any more.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby CS70 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Capos are a great way to get a new tunes out of a guitar. The change in timbre and feel on the fretboard often suggests totally new ideas and sounds.

They're also excellent for keeping the feel of a tune while adapting it to the singer's range. You can play the guitar in any key but certain runs sounds in a certain way with a specific fingering and often you don't want to change that.

A nice trick I was taught a few years ago and use all the time is that, if you have to place one quickly is to do it as accurately as you can and then gently press the strings down with your right hand palm to stretch the strings under it.

As of skills-related comments, if it's good enough for Chet and Mark and Paco, it's good enough for me ;-)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ore_terra » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 pm

adrian_k wrote:
I used a G7 (the original) for a while but didn't get on with it. Heavyish, and the rubber wears out under the strings causing buzzes. It's OK but I don't use it for gigging any more.
That never happened to mine, and they’ve gigged a lot! Maybe you got a defective one with the rubber too hard?
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Alba » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:07 pm

I go for the Jim Dunlop Toggle Capo

I've tried those clamp type ones and have one, not sure of the brand. But i've used the JD one for so long its in the bones now.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Hewesy wrote:Hi Dave,

Hewesy

Hi All,

When I was 15, I made myself two promises - I'd never use a capo and I'd always play 6 string chords.
Stupid, I know, but I was 15 and didn't know any better/anything.
Now I'm 73 and I am beginning to lose the feeling of self loathing when I play partial chords or double stops. I'm working on power chords, but as yet haven't been able to bring myself to try them. I reckon in another twenty years I'll have it sorted.
Then I can start to get to grips with capos.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 pm

blinddrew wrote:I use capos a lot (because I'm not a good enough guitarist to re-key easily!) and my current favourites are a standard Shubb or, where I might need to move it quickly, one of these: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/planet-waves-n ... P0QAvD_BwE
Just for reference, I was joking with this ^^^ - not about being a crap guitarist obviously, that goes without saying, but about that being the only reason to use a capo. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby adrian_k » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 pm

ore_terra wrote:
adrian_k wrote:
That never happened to mine, and they’ve gigged a lot! Maybe you got a defective one with the rubber too hard?

Maybe, but I’m not the only one. In fact I bought replacement rubber pads for myself and two friends because the originals were wearing out and also coming loose. But I’ve had mine a long time, one of the very early ones so maybe they’ve improved.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Alba » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm

G7th sell replacement rubber, so there must be a market which means the rubber must knacker out.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Alba » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Alba
Frequent Poster

Next