You are here

Capos

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Capos

Postby Freelance Subversive » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:53 pm

ore_terra wrote:Dont take flamenco players capo use as guidance... no matter how many times you show them there are much better and reliable options than the crappy flat dunlops, a crayon with a shoestring (yes...) or that sort of thing, they’ll never change :lol:

My dodgy syntax aside, none of the examples I gave were intended as endorsements of a particular capo type or manufacturer, merely as general precedents for capo use, i.e well-respected guitarists who all did/do.

I agree with you that there are many out there better than the flat Dunlop toggle. That said, Dunlops have their place and I do find the adjustable version reliable, having yet to experience any intonation/tuning issues or it suddenly pinging off.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:28 am

yeah, I got you mate :thumbup:

not saying either dunlops are not reliable. they're just (in my personal experience) a pain in the ass as soon the nylon strip start to wear off, plus sometimes they require to readjust it everytime you release the capo before you put it on again... but none of this make flamencos go away from it :lol:

I'll say more: dunlops are for YOUNG flamencos. the old school ones wont go away from this thing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:00 am

Wow! Did not expect such a huge response!

I have not heard back from son, he often has problems getting on the net but I shall hold fire until he does because he might have tried one and knows which he would prefer or just might not feel the need?

John E: "Power chords". It is my limited understanding that you use them for overdrive sounds with an amp? Distorted full chords sound horrible.

Thank you all for your contributions and advice.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am

ef37a wrote:John E: "Power chords". It is my limited understanding that you use them for overdrive sounds with an amp?

You can actually use them with any sound, work fine also on a classical guitar, even if you don't see it too often. But plenty of use on steel-string acoustics.

Distorted full chords sound horrible.

Not at all! I use them all the time :) Like most things guitar, it's only a matter of playing skill (which includes knowing how to set up your hi gain structure so that it works the right way)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby John Egan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 am

ef37a wrote:John E: "Power chords". It is my limited understanding that you use them for overdrive sounds with an amp? Distorted full chords sound horrible.
Dave.

Dave,
You are right about power chords. But if you listen to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, for example, they use distorted chords to great effect, and you can still hear the thirds. Depends how heavy you want to get. I'm old school, so crunch is about as heavy as I get.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am

Another happy Shubb user here, especially this one which allows DADGAD-ish voicings on standard tunings (or an A chord un-fretted). Image But there is a version that skips the low (or high I suppose) E string too.

I also have a couple of the Planet Waves NS capos which are joyfully small and light, They are a little less convenient than the Shubb but the mandolin capo is a thing of beauty.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:40 am

ef37a wrote:Distorted full chords sound horrible.

poor Malcom Young... :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 am

John Egan wrote:
ef37a wrote:John E: "Power chords". It is my limited understanding that you use them for overdrive sounds with an amp? Distorted full chords sound horrible.
Dave.

Dave,
You are right about power chords. But if you listen to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, for example, they use distorted chords to great effect, and you can still hear the thirds. Depends how heavy you want to get. I'm old school, so crunch is about as heavy as I get.
Regards, John

Thanks John. Just me dobbing in! I am no player (bit of bass) just "stuff I read". Son is a great fan of Petty and Co, got some CDs around somewhere...

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Egan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:28 am

ef37a wrote:
John Egan wrote:
Dave.

Dave,
Regards, John

Thanks John. Just me dobbing in! I am no player (bit of bass) just "stuff I read". Son is a great fan of Petty and Co, got some CDs around somewhere...

Dave.

Hi Dave,
No worries. The Tom Petty CDs make good listen. Good songs, great arrangements. Mike Campbell is one of my favourite rockand roll guitarists.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:05 am

I fully agree, John. A truly great band. RIP, Tom.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby The Bunk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:40 pm

Hewesy wrote:
Some people love capo's, some think they are a complete cop out,

....I've seen John Otway use one to great effect live. Half way through a song, he calls out "Key Change! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4..." The band stop playing. Otway slips a capo on the guitar. "1 - 2 - 3 - 4..." and they're off again. Only in a different key with Otway probably still playing the only three chords he knows...Genius.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby The Bunk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:05 pm

....on their use in general. I think if you're a good enough player, that will clearly show over the course of, for example, a gig...and there will be times when it's appropriate to use one but it'd soon become pretty obvious if you only knew a certain number of chords and used one on pretty much every song. Plus some songs, for some reason, only sound right in their original key (you can't bloody well do Wonderwall properly any other way, should the need to play it arise).

I would arguably "cop out" when my band played "Hey Jude" by using one on the first fret; I'd usually be on an acoustic for it. It's not like I can't play an F properly but it's pretty much every guitarist's least favourite chord and sounds stacks better "virtually open" than fretting all six strings. And of course it means you can play D, A, E conventionally for the ending which we might decide could go on for 25 minutes if we're struggling for any other encores :headbang: .
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Ahh, I'm an Aylesbury lad, I've seen Otway do that many times - man's a legend!

I'm a big capo fan but it's interesting seeing discussions around the cop out comment, I've had it many times myself. Interestingly though the last person who really made a noise about it and insisted on playing in non-std guitar keys "as he was clearly more talented" now has carpal tunnel syndrome...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Freelance Subversive » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:40 pm

It's doubtful guitar playing alone caused his Carpel Tunnel Syndrome — the evidence for 'work-related' CTS is scant — but it certainly won't help once it's developed;
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:33 am

A cop out? If anyone asked 'Which piece of music tech has transformed your creative life?' I'd say 'A capo' (Then the DAW). As other posts have mentioned, it's a great way to achieve different timbres when double tracking. More importantly, not everyone's voice is set for E standard tuning, and it's not always practicable or desirable to re-key by playing exclusively barre chords on an acoustic guitar. I would suggest that the correct plural pronunciation is 'capi', on the assumption that , what is in effect a moveable nut, borrows an Italian word for 'head'.
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:37 am

The Bunk wrote:Half way through a song, he calls out "Key Change! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4..." The band stop playing. Otway slips a capo on the guitar. "1 - 2 - 3 - 4..." and they're off again. Only in a different key with Otway probably still playing the only three chords he knows...Genius.

Heh, nice one! :bouncy:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Previous