You are here

Bass guitar tutor, South Birmingham?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Bass guitar tutor, South Birmingham?

Postby Dr R » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good bass guitar tutor based around SE Birmingham/Solihull area?
Hunting on the various tutor sites I saw that Steve Lawson actually lives only a few miles away - but I am very much just starting out and I think that might be a bit like taking finger-painting lessons from Picasso!

Thanks as ever,
Rich
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Re: Bass guitar tutor, South Birmingham?

Postby Hewesy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:40 pm

I can't recommend anyone but I'd suggest popping into Hobgoblin, GuitarGuitar or Fair Deal Music if you haven't already as I'm sure they have a file of tutors to hand.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Don't be afraid of using someone with lots of experience. You'll probably progress quicker and be taught more relevant information and techniques. A lot of the hot guitar players learnt their stuff from other hot guitar players, rather than someone who's been playing for 4 years and just wants to make some extra money.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Freelance Subversive » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:36 pm

If you can catch Steve Lawson (he always seems busy), do so. It's been many years since I last encountered him; I think he now mostly teaches via Skype (if that poses an obstacle), but he was very patient and an all-round lovely chap.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby Dr R » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks Mr Subversive. A personal recommendation counts for a lot.
I'm not mad keen on the idea of Skype lessons, purely because I spend most if my working day in front of a computer screen, and a fair chunk of that on video conference. However I'll email him and see what is possible.

I'm not even a lukewarm guitarist, Wonks, but still better than I was in March.

Thanks,
Rich
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them