You are here

Gibson 2018 Classic Les Paul Gold Top

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Gibson 2018 Classic Les Paul Gold Top

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 am

The Gold Top knob issue is now all sorted. I got my money back from Music Store for the Gibson knobs that didn't match their description (kudos to Music Store for arranging the refund without any prompting after finding that all their stock of the knobs were the same as mine). Allparts did vintage amber top hat knobs, so I ordered some of them and they are just right. In fact they look just like the ones in the Gibson picture!

They are less dark than the Gibson knobs and also sit lower on the potentiometer shafts than the Gibson's did. So all round they are much, much betterer.

The picture shows the Allparts knobs fitted (along with added position pointers) with a Gibson sitting on the top for comparison.

These video reviews of a 2019 Les Paul Standard shows the same dark Vintage Amber knobs without lettering as the one's I bought, so it's definitely a common Gibson issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYnelIj8eE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQ9kkPp97I
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:36 pm

I've just noticed that the Gibson knobs (and also the original gold speed knobs) were designed for a 24-spline shaft. However the Allparts ones are for 18-spline shafts, which is what the pots fitted actually have. So Gibson were either fitting the wrong knobs, or else ordering and fitting the wrong pots from CTS. Either way, there was a mismatch which should not have happened and was why the Gibson knobs were sitting proud of the body.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Hmm, That's not good. Are the pots at least the correct rating still?

I know they are production line guitars but the effort you've had to put in on this to get it match fit is worrying. Though I suppose the trade off is you know it's bob-on for your fingers...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Some is just preference, some is necessary. Nut and knobs (which is marginally better than writing 'nuts and knob') were the real quality issues.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:28 pm

:D that's my other folk group name...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Previous