You are here

Something else new but a bit different...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Something else new but a bit different...

Postby Hewesy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:31 am

Well seeing as Wonks and the Wolf are doing it (which is also handily the name of the folk band I'm forming after buying this) may I introduce my own new addition.

An Ashbury Lindisfarne Mandola, though I have it tuned essentially as an Octave Mandolin (GDAE).

Cedar top with Koa sides, Fishman electronics. Decent case too. The only fly in the ointment is that the Fishman has been over torqued during installation but the lovely people at Hobgoblin are swapping for me next week.

Tonally it sits between a 12 string acoustic and a Mandolin, octave below the Mandolin but not quite in a guitar register.

Something outside the norm perhaps but I'm loving it for chords and tunes. Great sound and the Fishman is very true to the acoustic sound.

I'll add a photo shortly...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Re: Something else new but a bit different...

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Definitely need some pics.
Is that the Hobgoblin music in Leeds? Just down the road from where I work if so. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Did you pay the full Hobgoblin price as it is considerably cheaper on Amazon when I did a search to see what it looked like. Quite guitar-like.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Hewesy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:11 pm

It was from a festival staffed by their Canterbury branch but I've been to their Leeds store, worked a bit out of Josephs Well last year (Just past the Infirmary) . Nice bunch of people.

I didn't pay full price Wonks, handily my wife spent many years in the north and bartered a good chunk off for me :D

Pics, I'm struggling - is Photobucket still worth using or does the forum handle photos now? Yes I'm waaay out of date...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Photobucket is no use these days, they require you to have a paid account to link to images hosted there. It appears that most people are using Imgr now.

I'm afraid we don't have an option to upload images direct because that would require a lot more server space which has a cost to SOS.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hewesy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Cheers Zen, I did wonder if Imgr was the way go go.

No worries about image hosting, sensible plan given the amount of hosting these days.

I'll sort some photos and post them up.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Apologies, been rubbish at taking images, largely because I am now on v3 of the instrument, the 2nd replacement having also developed a fault...

So far v3 is looking perfect, seems Ashbury had an odd moment with the QA process.

Photo's to follow as I get chance...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster