You are here

Rack Effects Build

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Rack Effects Build

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Luke W!

Love your tubular punch leverage amplifier (patent pending) 8-)

What a great idea (especially since you're punching through 2mm steel plate :headbang: )

As Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby zenguitar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 am

Martin Walker wrote:As Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." ;)
Martin

And there was me thinking it was the Vogon Constructor Fleet who said that !!

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:59 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Luke W!

Love your tubular punch leverage amplifier (patent pending) 8-)

What a great idea (especially since you're punching through 2mm steel plate :headbang: )

As Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." ;)

Martin

Cheers Martin, We'll come to arrangement for that name when the papers come though :lol:

Surprising what can be achieved with a metal bar and a can-do attitude.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 am

:clap: Definitely another level of sophistication from my usual 'percussive engineering' approach......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hewesy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:44 am

zenguitar wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:As Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." ;)
Martin

And there was me thinking it was the Vogon Constructor Fleet who said that !!

Andy :beamup:

They did but it was wrapped up in a 45min 67 stanza poem. Handily it's a bonus track on Luke's new album, alongside an acoustic swamp blues version of "tubular, punch, leverage, amplifier". Which REALLY comes alive with the addition of that tea-chest bass solo.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:00 pm

:lol:

Ok, so a few scenes missing, and we're left with this... Switches and LEDs in.

And the inside with all the various bits and pieces fitted.
Luke W
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Very smart Luke, but why are there two footswitches on one side and a third at right angles to them? :o

And why on that third footswitch are the LEDs on the 'foot' side of the switch?

(I think I'm missing some functionality here ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:49 pm

...and why are there eight separate cables connecting to the box on three different sides?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hewesy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:02 pm

I presume it's A/B on the right, then loop pre/post and volume boost (red?) So the A/B doesnt matter if its below the footswitch so much.

I'm guessing it sits top right on Luke's board above the EHX for the loop.

But yes, interesting layout m'man... :beamup:

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:15 pm

The arrangement was pretty much dictated by space inside the box, leaving enough room for TS plugs etc. The assembly for the locking TRS sockets shifted everything off center a little. A bigger box perhaps would have been more sensible (or not doing silly things like this at all maybe!)...

Hugh, the two locking sockets on the right hand side are guitar inputs, the two on the left are for amp/tuner outputs, and the row of four along the back are two pairs of sends/returns to connect two pedals and be able to run either one in front of the other.

It was quite a bit cheaper to put together than buying even a simple passive A/B switch and order switcher, and I liked the idea of learning something along the way!
Luke W
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:47 pm

All power to your... Er... power tools. It's a neat job...

I was just intrigued with the layout. It would have helped if I hadbfollowed the whole thread instead of dropping at the end! Nice rack wiring, BTW. :-D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Thank you, much appreciated :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular

Postby Luke W » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 am

Well, a couple more pictures and this is completely up to date. First up is the result of me buying a paint pen. I knew that trying to be too clever with labeling would just end up with the thing looking like a bodge, so I decided to go for the intentionally rough approach.

Next, was the all important test... Everything powered up nicely, and pedals switch in and out without fuss. Despite the amount of cables and connections in there everything is lovely and quiet. The GCX has the ability to power the foot controller via the MIDI cable, however, as the controller wont be connected directly to the GCX, I've not wired those pins in the rack cables. The MIDI signal into the rack will be split off to the Strymons and the GCX by the Kenton box, so 9VAC can stay well away from that!

In the above picture, I'd patched the controller straight into the GCX just to test the switching. Since then I've dug out and old PSU to power the Ground Control separately, and with it connected up to the rack have got bypass switching for the pedals, as well as patch changing on the Strymons all working and programmable to a single footswitch.

I've also had a brief play with an expression pedal, and got parameters on all three Strymons responding to the one pedal, which is going to make for some incredibly fun noise making. Eventually. The last thing I tested, was a clever little global tap-tempo box that generates MIDI Clock, so again, a single tap switch to sync all time-based effects.
Luke W
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Luke W wrote:Well, a couple more pictures and this is completely up to date. First up is the result of me buying a paint pen. I knew that trying to be too clever with labeling would just end up with the thing looking like a bodge, so I decided to go for the intentionally rough approach.
Image.

It's not 'rough' it's "Boutique" :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hewesy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:34 pm

ZVEX would charge an extra $50 for that mate :bouncy:

I like it a lot, its clear, which is the key, but also very "friendly" handwriting which makes it look very cool. I'd buy it.

Some great MIDI tweaks mate, but I am curious, would you want all the Strymon's to respond to the same tempo/pedal sweep?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:It's not 'rough' it's "Boutique" :clap:

That's the spirit :thumbup:

Hewesy wrote:Some great MIDI tweaks mate, but I am curious, would you want all the Strymon's to respond to the same tempo/pedal sweep?

Hewesy

In some situations, yes. They're all on different channels so I can include/exclude them from anything on a per-patch basis, but having them able to respond to the single pedal opens up some cool options. If I want to control one parameter on one pedal like a standard expression pedal setup then that's possible, but if I want to assign multiple parameters then that's an option as well.

The expression pedal I'm using has its own MIDI output as well as the standard TS outputs, so that combined with the Ground Control could mean that multiple parameters on a single pedal could be controlled, but I'm yet to test that theory...
Luke W
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm

That's tidy, and as you say does open some very cool possibilities to control multiple parameters on the various pedals.

I presume you could hook it to the SuperEgo too, if you aren't already, for even more oddness?

Very tidy,

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Yep, that's the idea. It has 3 TRS outputs and a MIDI out which can send up to 3 channels of data out. The plan is to connect one TRS output to the SuperEgo, and the other two to the Ground Control, which then converts them to MIDI CC messages. That paired with the MIDI capability on the pedal itself will mean 5 separate parameters in the rack, and the SuperEgo on the board can all be controlled by the one pedal.

It's a pretty cool pedal, different curves can be assigned each output, as well as LFOs that can be synced to MIDI clock. Again, presets can be saved on the pedal itself and then recalled from the Ground Control. It really is going to be silly noise central :D
Luke W
Regular

Postby jaminem » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Hey mate, that's an amazing build.

Just one question though...?

Where does the ADA MP1 go? is that the final piece of the puzzle, just waiting to go in?

Your post is entitled Rack Effects Build, which immediately says to me: 80's hair metal, which requires aforementioned ADA MP1.

Please advise...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Cheers mate!

I'm hoping to find a deal with a suitable wig bundled in :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular

PreviousNext