You are here

Fame (and new toys) at last.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Fame (and new toys) at last.

Postby IvanSC » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Well - I am now officially the equivalent of Ray Stevens`s Kansas City Star!
No, really! Several people round here have recognised me on the bus recently.

What I really wanted to talk about is how I am faking up my naff acoustic guitar playing with new toys!!!

First I bought an LR Baggs Venue preamp, which sounds absolutely great and incidentally has a boost pedal, which helps for soloing.... My Fishman Rare Earth doesnt have a volume control & the preamp that I got with it clips onto my guitar strap at the perfect angle to make it totally inaccessible whilst playing.

Flushed with success, I thought: "I know - I will buy one of those AER Compact 60s like all my professional pals have"
The reason is that with my guitar only going through the PA, I struggle to hear myself over their amps. (no monitors because most of our gigs are too small to fit any in)

After having a nosebleed over even the used price of the cheapest AER, I explored all the other options and decided to buy a Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Too small to get any real oomph out
But then I got lucky.
I found a used Loudbox Artist online & drove through roadworks, accidents and other assorted griff for 6 HOURS to Clacton On Sea and back to buy it.

It is extremely nice & has a ton of bells and whistles! Trying it out at this saturday`s gig at the Green Man in Grantchester, where I will probably fall over and break it or fall over and break both my wrists.

In the meantime I have just acquired a used LR Baggs M1Active to replace the Fishman & discovered after I bought it that it has a bloody volume control!

Anyone want to buy an LR Baggs venue, lightly used? :headbang: :mrgreen: :headbang:
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Re: Fame (and new toys) at last.

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Or do like Bob Dylan and parasite on your buddy's telecaster plugged in to an amp and turn it up a bit... be a traitor!
Like Bob!
And win the Nobel prize!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby The Korff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am

IvanSC wrote:It is extremely nice & has a ton of bells and whistles! Trying it out at this saturday`s gig at the Green Man in Grantchester

Quite possibly my favourite pub of all time (haven't been there in a while though). I didn't realise they had a gig on this weekend; I was just a handful of villages away on Saturday, enjoying the late September sunshine at the Royal Oak in Barrington.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IvanSC » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Humble Bee wrote:Or do like Bob Dylan and parasite on your buddy's telecaster plugged in to an amp and turn it up a bit... be a traitor!
Like Bob!
And win the Nobel prize!

I am actually going in the opposite direction. Started out a banjo player who bought a guitar. Then went electric in 1961 & became a bass guitar player in 1962/3.
Been shuffling back & forth between guitar and bass ever since.

The acoustic guitar is a relatively new thing for me & I still do 99% of my gigs on electric.
And its usually an ASAT :D

@ The Korff: Sorry you missed us! The GM is doing a LOT of gigs these days. we had 2 in September out of the 10 bands they had appearing. Spoilt rotten, we are...
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IvanSC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Update:

Interesting... I decided to get the set - got a good deal on a used L.R.Baggs M1 Active pickup & then couldnt get it fitted before the "buyers remorse" period had expired. By the time I got it fitted I realised the bloody thing was faulty so it is now going to California, where the lovely LRB people have said they will repair it free of charge (even though its out of warranty) & I just pay the postage.

And in the meantime, the fishman amp & pickup still works OK and I have discovered the venue is actually a cracking preamp pedal/tuner/eq etc, especially since it has a LOUD switch for solos!

Now all I`ve got to do is sort out my arthritis and my playing... had forgotten how much fun acoustic is when amplified well.

P.S. I also got new hearing aids last week, which actually work a lot better for music than the old ones. Life is good-ish.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)