You are here

Fender Player Series

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Fender Player Series

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:28 am

Does anyone have experience of the Fender Stratocaster Player series? I've not owned a Strat in a long time but quite fancy getting another one & the current Mexican models look to be well specced & keenly priced. It's primarily just for home use, recording & occasional jams with friends, nothing serious. It'll be played either through a Vox AD30VT mostly at family friendly volumes, or a Zoom multifx & headphones.

I'm not too bothered about price, heritage or resale just wondered what you guys thought. I'm open to suggestions if you think it's a bad choice.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Re: Fender Player Series

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 am

Never owned a fender!
play it, if you like it buy it!
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 am

I tried a player series P bass in Andertons a couple of months ago when a friend was auditioning bass amps and it was a decent instrument. Haven't tried a Strat or Tele but they look well put together. For me, the colour choice is a bit limited as I don't like the tidepool, sage green or buttercream finishes and I'd probably not get polar white so it's either black or sunburst for me. They've got the small-style headstock, which is good for me as I don't like the big headstock.

As Jumpey says, try, and if you like it, buy. They aren't made from the choicest timber, so the maple of the necks still seem to have a lot of dark flecks in them in a lot of the pictures I've seen. So you may want to look around for the cleanest examples if the aesthetics matter to you. However you may miss out on a guitar whose component parts fit together better to make a better sounding and playing guitar.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Luke W » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am

As said above, it's definitely worth playing seeing what you think, if you can try a selection, even better. I've not played any of the more recent models, but when I tried out some a few years back there was a lot of variation. They all sounded good, but some just played a lot nicer than others.
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby John Egan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Does anyone have experience of the Fender Stratocaster Player series? I've not owned a Strat in a long time but quite fancy getting another one & the current Mexican models look to be well specced & keenly priced. It's primarily just for home use, recording & occasional jams with friends, nothing serious. It'll be played either through a Vox AD30VT mostly at family friendly volumes, or a Zoom multifx & headphones.

I'm not too bothered about price, heritage or resale just wondered what you guys thought. I'm open to suggestions if you think it's a bad choice.

Hi Mike,
Personally, I tend to prefer Fender's mexican range. I think they play and feel more like the original fenders that I remember from my early experience. I haven't played the new Player range, but I'm pretty familiar with the earlier mexican Standards and DeLuxe guitars.In fact, the best Strat I own is a Mexican Standard.
I have tended to swap the pickups in mine, most of which came with Fender ceramics, but I believe that the new series come with alnicos.
You probably do need to play a few to find the one that suits you best, but that was always true with the 50s and 60s Fenders.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:09 pm

I've heard that the player series alnicos on the Strats are the same as one of the Tonerider Strat sets. I can't prove it, but it may be someone's supposition because they are made in the same factory. But the Toneriders are liked by a lot of people.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby John Egan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Wonks wrote:I've heard that the player series alnicos on the Strats are the same as one of the Tonerider Strat sets. I can't prove it, but it may be someone's supposition because they are made in the same factory. But the Toneriders are liked by a lot of people.

Hi Wonks,
I don't know the Toneriders, but as you say, people seem to like them.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm

I owned a 60s Classic Player Strat from about 2009, I'm not sure how that compares with today's models. Mine was a sunburst / rosewood neck.

After a bit of setting up mine played quite well but I ended up getting a US model within a year so I sold the Player onto a mate who described it as his best playing guitar (out of a collection of about 30 mid priced guitars, non of which were set up properly). I have no problem with the Fender Mexico build quality and I've recently acquired a Baja Telecaster which I'm happy with.

Worth trying a few. I think that the 50s and 60s necks are quite different.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks Guys,

Nobody seems to have come up with any horror stories, so I reckon it's worth trying a few out. I've tried out Mexican Strats before & been impressed but that was in the states & around 5 years ago, so I figured it was worth asking. I agree the colour choices are limited, I actually don't mind the buttercream, but it usually comes down to what feels right when you pick it up.

I was mostly asking in case there were any known quality issues to look out for, but it's sounds like it's worth a punt for not too much money. My last Strat was an early 60's pre-CBS model which looked great but played and sounded crap. Not everything vintage is worth lusting after.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

Fender has been so hit and miss the last few years. You really have to go and try them out. I think the Mexicans are better bang for the buck even if you what to upgrade pickups. A thorough pro setup is also something I'd seriously consider.

Have been playing a Yamaha Pacifica for a few years now and it kills anything fender at the price...

My Baja telecaster is still The tele tho...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:21 pm

As above, if you can then try a few out in the shop as occasionally setups can be a little funky...

Sometimes that's Fender's fault, sometimes though I've found it to be the local shop "tech" who tweaks things out of the box "'cause Fender can't get it right". So, if you like the feel and tone and it rings OK acoustically, it might be worth getting a pro tech to then set it up for you to your taste.

Don't overlook smaller shops though, a large shop might have 2-3 of the same model but that small shop could have a better relationship with the dealer and have a killer sounding model in shop.

If you can live with whatever colour they chose...!

As example, my no1 is a Mexican Blacktop Strat, it just sounds fantastic and my local shop tech really does know how to wield an Allen key. They had one in, but the ower has sold vintage gear for 30yrs so the Fender rep knows to send him only decent playing instruments. Works for me.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster