You are here

MY SET UPs

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

MY SET UPs

Postby joaboa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:36 pm

HI there everybody...I'm looking for people with 10 min to spare/waste/give away...
I bought some equipment to start playing, but ain't got the knowledge bout where to put what. So please ...

The Gear

AMPS ....FENDER BASSBREAKER 007
BLACKSTAR SOLOIST 60
VOX VTX 40
MARSHALL JCM 900
PEDALS
EVENTIDE H9 MAX
TC ELECT. MOJO MOJO
ELECTRO HARMONIX SUPER EGO +
ROYAL BEAVER
BOSS DISTORTION DS-1
ROLAND SUPER ECHO
IRKALLA FUZZ
AMT SS 11 A
DIGITECH RP360
TC ELECTRONIC CORONA CHORUS
TOM STONE BASS LIMITER
IRON BELL MOJO HAND FX
MOOER NIETY ORANGE
MOOER BLACK SECRET
MOOER REECHO
MOOER SHIM REVERB
BOSS RC 3000
GUITARS
FENDER STRATOCASTER
FENDER JAGUAR
REVELATION RJT60 .12 str
JACKSON SLATT XMGT3-6

Any thoughts on which pedals going to what amps?
Id appreciate your use of energy since i don't really have the knowledge myself.
ANyways...best of days
joaboa
New here

Re: MY SET UPs

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 pm

"Guitar > lead > amp" worked for many of the best guitar players in the world. You don't say how accomplished/experienced a guitar player you are, or what genre you want to play but I'd say start out with a single guitar and amp (and any one of those you list will work fine) and see if it works for you.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 am

Far too much kit to be a rookie.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 am

Wonks wrote:Far too much kit to be a rookie.

Quite agree but is the OP asking in a roundabout way how to RECORD with that ton of gear?

If so and with SO much stuff the usual 2in-2out AI is probably not appropriate because if he wants to experiment with various amps and pedals he would spend 9/10ths of his time pluggerating! As a minimum a 2 mics + 2 line ins (the Blackstar at least has line and emulated outputs) but maybe one of the bigger Tascams or even one of the new generation 24bit mixers?

Most of the stuff in that list is unknown to me but if any of it has MIDI, that should be reflected in the choice of AI of course.

As ever, for lektrik geetars SoS Aug 07.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 am

joaboa wrote:I bought some equipment to start playing, but ain't got the knowledge bout where to put what. So please ...

Any thoughts on which pedals going to what amps?
Id appreciate your use of energy since i don't really have the knowledge myself.

There's not much in the original post to suggest that this is a recording question. It was specifically about which pedal to which amp.

4 amps, 17 pedals, 4 guitars. Several thousand pounds worth of gear - to start playing?!!

Either a very badly worded question or something isn't right here. Let's see if we get a second post with a fuller story.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Forget a 2nd post clarifying things, how many of us does he want to adopt if that's his first shopping spree?!

My advice would be to buy a loop unit (e.g. a Gigrig, Carl Martin Octaswitch, GCX etc) and stick your pedals in that. Maybe a loop for gain, mod, delay, verb etc etc and then use the remaining loops for the amps outputs.

Then basically, have at it mate. Experiment away and use the loop unit to avoid re-patching or cable spaghetti across the floor.

Check out That Pedal Show on YouTube, a wealth of information about all things pedals, amps and what "should" and "could" be done. In fact, if this is genuinely your kit they might even do a show on you. I would.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:09 am

Gentlemen

I fear that you are being wound up.

Cheers
Sam
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Mrs Trellis » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:36 am

Surely not. After all I have nearly 18,000 knitting needles (seventeen thousand two hundred and fifty one in fact, I just counted them) and I'm constantly forgetting which wool goes to which needle. In fact if anyone is wound up it's me, when kitty starts running round me with the wool.

I was just wondering whether any of you nice young boys would like to pop round for a nice cup of Earl Grey and help me get my needles sorted out. It would be so nice if you could.

Yours very nicely,

Mrs Trellis
Mrs Trellis
New here
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Iechyd da!

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 pm

I would if you also practice accupuncture!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:15 pm

If you put the needles in the wrong place, is it inaccupuncture?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby SecretSam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Possibly. It's certainly very sore.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby The Bunk » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 pm

I have been in a band with a guitarist who had pretty much as extensive a list of kit as that.

I am no longer in that band.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 pm

The Bunk wrote:I have been in a band with a guitarist who had pretty much as extensive a list of kit as that.

I am no longer in that band.

He took 17251 knitting needles to gigs with him? :o
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby joaboa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Hey everybody who spent time to reply.
I'm so sorry, my english is terrible :headbang:

I'm not THAT rookie, but i'm no Steve Vai either : )
What i meant was start recording with this gear if anybody had any input on what pedals to go to what amps, cause i don't have the time in the world to crosscheck ( if thats a word?) these pedals.

I bought some of this ( 4 pedals and the vox amp ) fairly recently
So maybe someone had input on which fuzz to use on what amp for example?
if you have knowledge on what gives warmer sounds and so on.
Do you get my bad language now?
So if you have knowledge that the Irkalla fuzz sounds wonderful with reverb on the fender amp i can test out these things.
tnx
joaboa
New here

Postby joaboa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:34 pm

I may add I'm a producer, not a guitarist first.
So this is to have options in different soundscapes, not my live-rig or anything...
and there's no MIDI on the equipment.

J
joaboa
New here

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 am

There are no rules really.
There is a loose idea that "distortion" pedals go best in the input side and "time related" devices, chorus, reverb etc are best placed in an FX loop (the Soloist at least has one)

But! If you are looking for someone here to say "run the Babel 2xz into the ***tstorm 12 and then put the Pink Thing in the FX loop and you will sound amazing" I fear you will wait a while!

Do not desert us but the guys over at <thefretboard.com> do NOTHING all day but play and talk about electric guitars and effects!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 am

Hi Joaboa, apologies for the sarcastic start to the forum, we get a few drive-by posters who start with improbable scenarios and we never hear from them again. Glad you came back to give us some more details. :)

As Dave says above, there's really no rules other than:
1) read up on how people have achieved certain sounds as you need to (e.g. if your track needs something a bit pink-floyd-ish, there are plenty of articles out there about how David Gilmour got his sound).
2) have a play! How you play will have at least as much an effect on your sound as any bit of kit so any layouts or signal paths will always be filtered by your unique style. Dedicate some time to properly experiment with a few things.
3) Play in a structured way. Keep your mobile phone handy, whenever you find a combo that really sings to you, record a bit of your playing and then sweep the camera over the signal path and any pedal and amp settings. If you're looking to add a bit of production candy to something the last thing you want to be doing is spending ages trying to recreate previous settings that you can't quite remember. File these videos in a reference folder with sensible names and sub-groups and you'll be able to quickly find those set-ups and settings when you need them further down the line.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 am

Theer's been a huge explosion in FX pedals in recent years. I've probably got 50 or more that I've collected over the years (and more I've given or thrown away) But there are probably at least 5000 pedals out there at the moment and there are probably 10 or more a month being added. No-one can know what they all sound like. I've heard of some of them, but a lot I haven't got a clue about.

The Bassbreaker 007 is a nice little amp but is best on its own or with a decent overdrive pedal in front. It's a Fender but with a Marshall sound, which obviously covers a lot of the same territory as the JCM 900 and the Blackstar. The Bassbreaker 007 can be turned right up without being too loud, so is a reasonable amp for recording

The Vox isn't an amp I'd want to record with at all. It's an OK practice amp, but really not a serious recording amp.

The Blackstar is the amp that will probably take pedals best, having a good amount of clean headroom and an FX loop. Delays, reverb and modulations in the FX loop, drives and compression into the main input.

JCM 900 covers a lot of amps, as it was the name of a range, not one amp. So it could be a small combo, or a huge 4x12" stack. Need more details, but probably best left for rocky stuff.

I'd suggest that the Vox and the JCM900 are pretty redundant and I'd get something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe instead (or a Blackface Deluxe Reverb reissue for a bigger budget), as it's got a lot of nice clean Fendery headroom, great for clean guitar and 12-string.

But to be honest, as a producer rather than a guitar player, I'd ditch all the pedals and the amps and get a Kemper profiler or a Line 6 Helix. It makes life a lot simpler and almost all the pro session musicians have moved over to them. for studio work, and often their live work as well.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby joaboa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Now, see I'm so greatful for the replys from you guys.
I'll check out the links later on..:)

Now think you're spot on saying the fender amp is best for recording.

I also found the sustain from the tc electronic mojomojo pedal gave the Irkalla fuzz a big improvement.
so any tips like this goes helps me alot, since i haven't recorded guitar for long.
Im more used to sample stuff, but since i've started producing other things than just my own, i' have to expand a little

BUt thank you so much for yor time, i really appreciate it, and please...have a go at me for my terrible language and "newbie"-approach to things. ..no problem...

The best of days to you all
J
joaboa
New here

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 pm

If I had my choice from that list, I would take the Fender Strat, plug it into the AMT SS-11a Tube Guitar Preamp, and using the effects loop on the preamp I would try the Mooer Orange because that is a really fat sounding phasor and the phasor should go first IMHO. Then I would put in the ELECTRO HARMONIX SUPER EGO + because that is fun to play lead with for synthy sounds, then the TC chorus (because I like a little chorus at all times), the irkala fuzz (because that sounds pretty sweet and singy) and then the reecho and shim reverb. Then put the looper (RC3000) at the end of that chain so you can creates loops with any efx and then switch them up. Plug the output of the preamp into the Blackstar, because that is the best sounding amp on your list.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Next