You are here

PRS guitars

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

PRS guitars

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Son was thinking of getting a "proper" Strat but then played a PRS Starla and was impressed, also interested in the Mira.

Anything known? Good, bad or ugly?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: PRS guitars

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:55 pm

I have played the Mira several times and played in the same band as the owner and I can testify that it's a great sounding very well built guitar much in the SG style. :thumbup: In the same style there is also the Yamaha Revstar well worth a look.

But if he's looking for a stratish guitar it is pretty far of the mark...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 pm

The Mira was the only PRS I've picked up and liked playing, but the controls felt cheap and nasty to me and I just didn't think it justified being almost twice as expensive as a basic Gibson SG which it generally resembled (at the time I played it which was a few years ago now, when they first came out).

They are what they are. You either like them or you don't. Nothing otherwise to watch out for. You once paid a lot extra for having bird inlays over the standard dots; not sure if that's still the case.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby paul tha other » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:38 pm

i own one..i love it love it love it....its an old 24 fret American import..but im sure its one of the cheaper ones..it holds its tune better than any other guitar ive owned..everyone ive touched has been great (a couple of pals has prs's too)

the only thing ill say is ..my one is not a strat..im sure they do strat type guitars (ie single coils) its more like a les paul or sg in its sound (humbucker type pick ups)

they have a certain something...

on the other hand i know a few guys that bought one and hated it...
after a quick google search they do strat types..not cheap though..and its a john mayer model
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:44 pm

I've owned five PRS guitars over the years. Three are still in my rack(s) plus one has been gifted to my son. The one I gave to my son was a direct replacement for my first PRS, which I foolishly sold.

The five were / are made up of; 2 x SE Custom Semi-Hollow (Blinddrew of this parish has the same model), 1 x SE Chris Robertson Single Cut, 1 x S2 Custom semi-hollow and 1 x Core Studio 22.

As Wonks said, you ether like them or you don't (I do). If you do like them then where they score highly over other brands is their consistency. The range goes something like (bottom to top);

SE, S2 / CE, Core, Private Stock. The Mira and the Starla sort of fit in around the S2 which is between £1k ~ £2k ish.

I'd find it pretty hard to fault my S2.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Indeed, I too have a semi-hollow SE that I bought as a replacement for an Epiphone Les Paul. I'm very happy with it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Never actually owned a real PRS (American or otherwise) but I've played a few in shops. I have a replica 61 Strat, a real '75 LP Custom and my fave electric is a bitsa P90 Strat I built a fair few years ago. I guess PRS are Marmite guitars, the American ones are things of beauty and impeccably made, the Pac Rim builds are damn good too but probably suffer from prejudice/snobbishness (a bit like the equivalent Mex, Korean and Chinese Fenders only worse).

I did buy a Chinese PRS Rep to see if I liked it and I simply didn't click with it so sold it to a mate who AFAIK still has it. I might consider a US made PRS sometime but can't think what would have to go to make space in the rack :( so probably not.

Anyway, to answer Dave's question, there ain't owt wrong with PRS guitars so if it floats his boat then tell him to buy it. A mate on the sailing forum has an expression that seems apt "buying a boat is not a marriage, you can always sell it again if you don't get on" same goes for guitars.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:57 am

Thank you for all your thoughts gentlemen.

Son has a love/hate relationship with a Rickenbacker 330 (think that is the mod#? Like Lennon's but not quite the same) He like the playability and "that" sound but hates the wimpy pickups. A year or so ago he was thinking of chopping it in for a Gibson but didn't in the end. I am not sure if he needs to trade the Rikky for a PRS, has been earning a bit this year.

He plays covers for various gigs, Stones, Beatles, Stevie Wonder! But he mostly plays jazz in the bars and cafes.

I shall keep you posted.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Egan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 am

ef37a wrote:Son was thinking of getting a "proper" Strat but then played a PRS Starla and was impressed, also interested in the Mira.

Anything known? Good, bad or ugly?

Dave.

Dave,
I prefer the Starla to the Mira, personally, but I love the S2 Vela - so much so that I bought one recently. It's still not "Strattish" though - more like a Tele on steroids.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am

I have an old SingleCut (2006 I think) and it's a wonderful guitar - but of course you pay for it.
I've tried an SE model (a Custom 24) last year in a shop and it was a thing beauty, and the price was definitely reasonable.

So definitely thumbs up from me.

Never tried the Mira and don't like much how it looks, but that's entirely subjective of course :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm

John Egan wrote:I prefer the Starla to the Mira, personally, but I love the S2 Vela - so much so that I bought one recently. It's still not "Strattish" though - more like a Tele on steroids.

The most Strat like of the PRS range is the Silver Sky (presently only available as the John Mayer signature version). I haven't tried one but reviews suggest that it is more Strat inspired, in terms of tone as well as looks, rather than being a well executed Strat copy. It's also almost double the price of a US Standard Strat.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Beat me to it Mr Wolf! The Silver Sky is the closest PRS currently offer, from what I've read they've mentioned an SE version being available in the future - but that might not be too forthcoming as it's been received surprisingly well (I say surprisingly, have you seen it?! :D )

Possibly an S2 Standard 22 with coil tap would cover a single coil tone for the odd song in a set but if he wants the proper "Strat Honk" (tm) then I suspect he might be a bit disappointed with coil tap and the usual mid heavy PRS Mahogany body tone.

But as more learned folks above have said, if he plays it, likes it, then buy it! A PRS will hold good value and who knows, he might get a good P/X on a Fender/Silver Sky in the future.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Hewesy wrote:
Possibly an S2 Standard 22 with coil tap would cover a single coil tone for the odd song in a set but if he wants the proper "Strat Honk" (tm) then I suspect he might be a bit disappointed with coil tap and the usual mid heavy PRS Mahogany body tone.

Hewesy

My S2 Vela has one of the new type "D" single coil pickups in the neck position and it does sound good. It might be worth checking whether PRS make any models in the S1 or S2 range which use these pickups.
Just a thought.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Good feedback John, I think it's only the Vela has the P90 style pickups.

How's it sound with the coil tap?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:01 pm

Hewesy wrote:Good feedback John, I think it's only the Vela has the P90 style pickups.

How's it sound with the coil tap?

Hewesy

Hi Hewsey,

The coil tap is only on the bridge humbucker of course. It's a Starla humbucker - pretty jangly with both coils and bright when split, like a bright Tele. According to PRS, the neck single coil is their take on an early DeArmond - they even mocked up the pole piece height adjustment screws, purely for appearance though. The middle position with and without the coil tap is great. As I said before like a Tele on steroids.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks John, sounds right up my street.

Now to hide the credit card... :D

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Hewesy wrote:Thanks John, sounds right up my street.

Now to hide the credit card... :D

Hewesy

It doesn't work, mate. It creeps back into your wallet ! Then you're so glad to see it again, you feel you should give it an outing.
Incidentally, I think I've seen a three pickup Vela with two single coils and a humbucker, but I might be dreaming.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 pm

You may be thinking of the S2 Studio

https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/s2/s2_studio

I have the Core Studio 22 which is very versatile (and quite easy on the eye).

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 pm

John Egan wrote:
It doesn't work, mate. It creeps back into your wallet ! Then you're so glad to see it again, you feel you should give it an outing.
Incidentally, I think I've seen a three pickup Vela with two single coils and a humbucker, but I might be dreaming.

Regards, John

I see we've the same musical credit card John, offering an interest free siren call...

Big birthday next year too ;)

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Music Wolf wrote:You may be thinking of the S2 Studio

https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/s2/s2_studio

I have the Core Studio 22 which is very versatile (and quite easy on the eye).

That's a lovely thing indeed, all humbuckers? Can you coil tap all 3 for just the bridge?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Next