You are here

Any opinions on Schecter guitars (especially sls elite)

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Any opinions on Schecter guitars (especially sls elite)

Postby Random Guitarist » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I am seriously tempted by one of these.

Reasons being locking trem, sustainer circuit and general ooh factor.

One thing I'm unsure about is the fishman active pickups, are they reasonably versatile? I have other guitars, but even so I'm not going to be spending all day on metal tones with this one.

Otherwise, I'd appreciate any insights into qulaity/value for money /alternatives.

Thanks for any insights,

Grant.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Re: Any opinions on Schecter guitars (espescially sls elite)

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:43 pm

I do have an old Elite II (I bought it second hand in a shop in Manchester once when I was there on a short trip). Always left it stock (i.e "duncan designed" pickups) because it's always been doing its job well - as a spare gig guitar and as a fun thing to play on a faster neck than my regular Strat. Excellent construction, super versatile, stays in tune, good intonation, nice to look at, light on the shoulders, nothing to dislike. Made somewhere in Asian, but who cares - my opinion on regular Schecters has been up ever since.

You can see it for example in this small bit here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu8RGzkK1M8
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hewesy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Always liked the Schecter's I've played, nearly bought a couple but always something else to spend the cash on... The spec for the money is always good and they seem well bolted together.

I'm a fan of the PT spec Tele, they did a few custom versions over the years, maybe time to track one down as a large birthday looms...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks chaps, a journey was made and a deal done.

It does seem very nicely put together. The FR bridge and sustainiac are a most entertaining combination. Upper fret access is unbelievably good and the whole package is really light as well. The fretwork is excellent, I mean really excellent. Stainless frets as well. The action and setup are great out of the box as well.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:47 pm

:thumbup: sound's like I should have a look at the Tele version then :D I'm, sort of, half looking for a Tele or SG (and, incidentally, a 330). I definitely fancy the Vintage/FretKing versions and the G&Ls look good too but will add Schecter to the 'possibles' list
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:33 am

I'd certainly not discourage you from looking at Schecter based on this one.

It may be that this guitar has just ticked multiple boxes in one go for me. I've spent the last few years playing Les Pauls models and moving into jazz boxes. Moving into the modern world of big frets and compound fret board radii has completely blown my mind. This thing plays with such ease out I am quite lost for words. It suddenly feels like every other guitar I own is an antique. (This feeling will most likely pass but I'll enjoy it for now.)
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster

Postby gingertimmins » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:02 am

Random Guitarist wrote:Thanks chaps, a journey was made and a deal done.

It does seem very nicely put together. The FR bridge and sustainiac are a most entertaining combination. Upper fret access is unbelievably good and the whole package is really light as well. The fretwork is excellent, I mean really excellent. Stainless frets as well. The action and setup are great out of the box as well.

Pics or it didn’t happen! :D
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 pm

US built schecters were always very well made, but somehow always left me with my wallet intact , their oriental "budget" range (not cheap cheap, but more cost conscious than US ) much the same..... reasonable instruments (aside from some appalling signature models that are just ugly ) but I've never ever lusted after owning any of them, and i have played quit a few...

I'd say that's a bit of an achievement...... given that in the past i've even bought a BC rich....

I'm not quite sure what sort of achievement ...... I am, if nothing else, a guitar addict.... and to produce instruments that invariably leave me not reaching for the credit card , or pondering which organ to sell off , there has to be some sort of wrongness going on, but damned if I can put my finger on it
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby CS70 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:and to produce instruments that invariably leave me not reaching for the credit card , or pondering which organ to sell off , there has to be some sort of wrongness going on, but damned if I can put my finger on it

I think it's just a psychological thing: they are well made and competent instruments but dont have any particular mojo, there are no obvious cultural reference that makes you identify with something special and awesome when you use one.

When you use a U67, the weight of history is there to make you feel like you're there together with a group of giants. Same goes for any Strat, LP, SG. Current Schecter guitars just don't have that (unless you are into specific metal bands).

With few exceptions, the stuff that make people reach for the credit card (even when they shouldn't, or especially when they shouldn't) is stuff with an emotional appeal, not a rational one.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:24 pm

I think you might credit me with little more psychological awareness than that to be fair...

and a little more professional knowledge

my emotional response to a guitar is based entirely on my experience playing it ...

not who else plays one like it.... (i add that NONE of my Heroes play the guitars I do... )

When I use a U67 , it has eff all to do with the history, , If it's not the right Mic , I won't use it.... I'm an engineer, not a sodding fashionista , and I don't give a stuff who used what in the past......

indeed, I'm well known for not using hallowed equipment just because it's there and has some legendary mythology that inclines those without ears and understanding to use it irrespective of suitability..... ...

right tool for the job, or go home.....

is my perspective....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:41 pm

If I may offer the "capital letters and crayons" view here, I tend to lump Schecter in with BC Rich, Jackson, et al - I'm sure that they are great, but they are 'pointy' guitars and, for some reason, I have settled on Ibanez as my preferred pointy of choice.

I think it's something to do with having a little of everything - I have a (cheap) Les Paul, I have a Strat and a Tele and I have a pointy thing (and a collection of Gordon Smiths to the side). So all my bases are covered. (I'm not good enough for a semi-hollow but that would probably be a straight 335 if I ever get there).

It's the same with PRSes - I _know_ that they are good guitars and what they do, they do really well. But I just can't get excited. Ho hum.

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm

My Chandler (of Kew) Custom was made from a Schecter neck and body. But it was so long ago now (1986) that any comments on that guitar will no longer be relevant.

Schecter do make some really nice US Custom Shop models such as this one with a more 'traditional' look...

...but their standard non-USA made models don't do anything for me.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Dave B wrote:If I may offer the "capital letters and crayons" view here, I tend to lump Schecter in with BC Rich, Jackson, et al - I'm sure that they are great, but the are 'pointy' guitars and, for some reason, I have settled on Ibanez as my preferred pointy of choice.

I think it's something to do with having a little of everything - I have a (cheap) Les Paul, I have a Strat and a Tele and I have a pointy thing (and a collection of Gordon Smiths to the side). So all my bases are covered. (I'm not good enough for a semi-hollow but that would probably be a straight 335 if I ever get there).

It's the same with PRSes - I _know_ that they are good guitars and what they do, they do really well. But I just can't get excited. Ho hum.

see there's the odd thing, rather a lot of Schecters are NOT pointy speed death metal machines..... they've always done some rather tasteful "upgrades" on classic designs, and some evolutions towards the independent side of Performance guitars.... many of them very pretty to look at..... and with well considered design features....

all of which sounds very positive and upbeat..... , and it should be.....

but somehow

they're soulless
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Dave B wrote:

PRS are usually that kind of guitar that you don’t think much of until you try one - and then you go “oh!”. And they do have tons of mojo, not for everyone of course, but few would claim they’re ‘meh’.. at most they polarize opinion. Of course to each his own, for example I’ve never found the telecaster remotely attractive . It’s all in the head :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Schecters? meh. I don't see what they add to the universe of guitars. I'm lunatic enough to own far more guitars than I'll ever use, known to buy guitars just 'cause I walked in to the store and have never once done more than walk past the Schecters. I have an Ibanez for those rare days when I want to don that hat.

Now Trussart...
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Any opinions on Schecter guitars (especially sls elite)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Well, as a PRS owner I'll humbly disagree on that one, ;) but I do feel like that about Yamahas (electrics rather than acoustics). I'd never complain if someone loaned me one, or if a studio had one as part of a selection I'd certainly give it a go, and I couldn't pick out a negative point about the couple of Revstars that I've played...
but they've never made me want to get my wallet out either.
But then, I never used to like teles either...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby arkieboy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:27 pm

I've never really understood how this whole 'I love this guitar but can't get excited by this one' thing works. But I'm a complete victim to it - I can't get on with PRS for the life of me because they always feels like a well executed piece of luxury furniture rather than a guitar, but I rarely pick up a Gibson that I can't bond with within ten minutes. I'm happy to use Ibanez guitars provided they're not too pointy, and yes I have a Strat, but BC Rich, Schecter, ESP, Jackson and anything else in the pointy domain I wouldn't even pick up.

I get off on slightly left field Gibbos - I have a (fairly rare) Les Paul Signature semi, a Les Paul Classic that SSG and I hunted the length of the south of England for, a bare as bones 'The SG' which my son has stolen, my custom Eggle's neck was specced to feel like a Gibbo, and has Duncan pickups based on - well guess! My iGuitar controller is essentially a Gibson with a RMC pickup and the same Duncans ... right now I check daily for a 70s L6S, salivating at the thought of the maple neck, the Lawrence pickups and the string-through-body resonance.

Something about them just feels right; the players I would like to sound like mainly use Gibsons; my style of playing suits humbuckers. IDK.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby jaminem » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote:I'm an engineer, not a sodding fashionista

I LOL'd at this...

Just the thought of Max walking out of a gluten free artisan bakery in too short trousers and a tank top.

:D

Although to be fair, you do have a beard, and thats very trendy these days...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Trying to juggle his sourdough boule, avocados and frappuccino whilst simultaneously browsing the latest ibanez catalogue on his phablet...
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:25 pm

And whilst reading that last post, an email from Andertons just popped up advertising the new Ibanez 2019 range!

(Can't say I'm taken by any of the new ones myself).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next