You are here

Any opinions on Schecter guitars (especially sls elite)

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Any opinions on Schecter guitars (especially sls elite)

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:29 pm

I just found an amazing Banex pro series in mint condition for very little money.. quite tempting!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:51 pm

I found the best way to avoid guitar lust is not to look at them. Schecter was never on my radar but now it is. Damn. Gonna have to try one next time I’m in the shoppe. Just in case, you know? Purely for research..... can’t judge a guitar by it’s picture and all that.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm

For science!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I found the best way to avoid guitar lust is not to look at them. Schecter was never on my radar but now it is. Damn. Gonna have to try one next time I’m in the shoppe. Just in case, you know? Purely for research..... can’t judge a guitar by it’s picture and all that.

Risky! That's how I ended up with mine, I hadn't cared less for them but then I tried one in a shop and damn it was good :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm

CS70 wrote:I just found an amazing Banex pro series in mint condition for very little money.. quite tempting!

I've searched but can't find any web reference to a Bannex Pro series. Any links or was it a typo?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Wonks wrote:
CS70 wrote:I just found an amazing Banex pro series in mint condition for very little money.. quite tempting!

I've searched but can't find any web reference to a Bannex Pro series. Any links or was it a typo?

LOL

Ibanez..

The PL1770GP
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby thisguynotsure78 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:32 pm

I own one, it’s ugly. I would happily own a prettier one. It has a sustainiac and a FR. It does have a great build quality I must say...
thisguynotsure78

Re: Any opinions on Schecter guitars (espescially sls elite)

Postby John Egan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:
see there's the odd thing, rather a lot of Schecters are NOT pointy speed death metal machines..... they've always done some rather tasteful "upgrades" on classic designs, and some evolutions towards the independent side of Performance guitars.... many of them very pretty to look at..... and with well considered design features....

all of which sounds very positive and upbeat..... , and it should be.....

but somehow

they're soulless

In the mid-70s, they made replacement parts for Fenders, which found a lot of favour with some very good players and a number of makers appeared whose products used Schecter bodies, necks and other parts. In the late 70s they set up a Custom Shop with the likes of Tom Anderson and, I believe, John Suhr. At some later point I believe thatDavid Schecter collaborated with the English luthier Chris Eccleshall to develop components including bridges.
I've got a couple of USA custom models - a California Classic and a Tele - they are both really good guitars, both with very nice swamp ash bodies, bolt on necks. The Classic has two Blackjack humbuckers and the tele has conventional single coils. Both guitars are coil tapped and have a really good tonal range.
And as for soulless, Mark Knopfler managed to find a Schecter Strat that wasn't ! Not that I sound anything like him, Schecter or not.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 pm

The soul’s always in the player, not the guitar. Mark could put a soul in a. broom if it had strings. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Egan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 pm

CS70 wrote:The soul’s always in the player, not the guitar. Mark could put a soul in a. broom if it had strings. :)

I imagine he could, but I suspect that he chooses his guitars with care.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:06 am

I'm now six months of ownership in, and I'm certainly happy with my purchase. Build quality is excellent, nothing has dropped off come loose or buzzed. The neck is a great combination of stable and slim, the fretwork remains exemplary. It could never be my only guitar, but what it does it does very well.

One interesting side effect is that it is an easier guitar than most to play quickly on, and playing faster things on this guitar has seeped into playing faster on less shreddy instruments. (I am still very slow compared to most, but I'll take what I can get.)

It does have a 'technical' feel to it as an instrument but that's not quite the same as soulless, more akin to the ruthless efficiency of some German car designs.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Previous