You are here

David Gilmour guitar auction

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: David Gilmour guitar auction

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Just like Floyd I have rose and left feeling rather bent
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:21 am

Dave B wrote:I suppose that if you're DG, you'll always sound like DG regardless of the guitar so these are just nice 'things' to him.

Spot on Dave, exactly what DG stated in a subsequent interview about the auction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdBKvz-MaH4 where he goes into a little more detail about his thinking and assures us he's not popping off anytime soon as far as he knows :)

DG (on Brian May and the Red Special): There's so much... stuff, you know, people are hunting for ... stacks of pedals and amps and guitars and they want to know how it's done, but I can pick up Brian's* gear and it'll sound just like me and he can pick up mine and it'll sound just like him.

* While discussing Brian May and the Red Special

A couple more random quotes from the interview that made me smile:

DG: "It's only a chunk of wood with some wires strung over it"
Interviewer: is it a bit like finding your wife, finding a guitar like that in the sense ...
DG: No! Are you crazy? It's not remotely like finding my wife!

:D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 am

I was raised just polite enough to not take the bait... but by god that's tempting...
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 am

Watchmaker wrote:I was raised just polite enough to not take the bait... but by god that's tempting...

I admire your restraint. Had he been a keyboard player I'd have headed out with a pitchfork some hours ago ... :round1:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 am

I was recently reminded of the Festival Hall gig he did some time ago that came out on DVD. A lot of acoustic numbers but sime electric stuff which he played on a Gretsch (Roc Jet or similar) .

Comfortably Numb on that, plus the amplification used, certainly didn't sound quite like any of the Floyd/DG versions on CD or DVD where he used a Strat, though the playing (listening with your eyes shut) was clearly DG's style (so many note-perfect imitators out there now).

But on Pulse it was played on a red Strat with EMGs and on the later DVD concerts with the Black Strat, and the tones and feel there are basicaly identical.

So for me, the premise holds up to a large extent, but it does help to have a similar type of guitar. If he'd played it on a Squier Strat, then I'm sure it would have been hard to tell apart from the Black Strat, but change to a significantly different guitar type, and a different signal chain, then that can introduce a few noticeable differences.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:18 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Dave B wrote:I suppose that if you're DG, you'll always sound like DG regardless of the guitar so these are just nice 'things' to him.

Spot on Dave, exactly what DG stated in a subsequent interview about the auction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdBKvz-MaH4 where he goes into a little more detail about his thinking and assures us he's not popping off anytime soon as far as he knows :)

DG (on Brian May and the Red Special): There's so much... stuff, you know, people are hunting for ... stacks of pedals and amps and guitars and they want to know how it's done, but I can pick up Brian's* gear and it'll sound just like me and he can pick up mine and it'll sound just like him.

* While discussing Brian May and the Red Special

A couple more random quotes from the interview that made me smile:

DG: "It's only a chunk of wood with some wires strung over it"
Interviewer: is it a bit like finding your wife, finding a guitar like that in the sense ...
DG: No! Are you crazy? It's not remotely like finding my wife!

:D

This one all the way. I never saw a guitar playing by itself. An instrument may inspire something in you - the neck, the slight different in string spacing, or just the sheer novelty of it may conjure some different ideas.. but after a while a guitar is just a guitar. A tool to make make music, and what matters is the music you make on it.

Finding good wives, I have observed, appears much harder than finding good guitars.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Managed to reserve a spot to view the collection the week after next. I am quite keen on obtaining one of Dave's guitars seeing as he is my all time musical hero and this would be a dream come true. Something Martin-acousticy with some recording history would be nice. There's a feature in Guitarist mag about some of the gear on auction. Very fascinating.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Good for you. I've a feeling that some of the guitars are very undervalued because of the association with DG.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 am

I hope you find something that you love for itself as well as for the DG (who is one of my all time heroes too) connection. And at price you can afford. Good luck.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 am

ReadySaltedChris wrote:Managed to reserve a spot to view the collection the week after next. I am quite keen on obtaining one of Dave's guitars seeing as he is my all time musical hero and this would be a dream come true. Something Martin-acousticy with some recording history would be nice. There's a feature in Guitarist mag about some of the gear on auction. Very fascinating.

That's (to use an American term I like more than I should) awesome - I really wish you the best in securing something you like from the lots. It's not an opportunity that'll come along often and props to you for securing an opportunity to be involved in the process!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
ReadySaltedChris wrote:Managed to reserve a spot to view the collection the week after next. I am quite keen on obtaining one of Dave's guitars seeing as he is my all time musical hero and this would be a dream come true. Something Martin-acousticy with some recording history would be nice. There's a feature in Guitarist mag about some of the gear on auction. Very fascinating.

That's (to use an American term I like more than I should) awesome - I really wish you the best in securing something you like from the lots. It's not an opportunity that'll come along often and props to you for securing an opportunity to be involved in the process!

Thanks! Anyone can go to the viewings btw. I was subscribed to Christie's newsletter and got a link to click on to a reservation page. It is over a few days - 27th-31st March - so sure there's some slots left for anyone else interested. I think you can book by calling here also: 020 7839 9060. It's at 8 King Street, London.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby IAA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 am

I am quite keen on obtaining one of Dave's guitars seeing as he is my all time musical hero and this would be a dream come true

I remember a few years ago we were in Salzburg and visited one of Mozart’s houses that he spent time in. There was a pianoforte that he used and I remember as I laid a finger on it, feeling it was the closest thing to a religious experience that I have had! I think Mozart approached his pianos as DG did his guitars, seeing them as tools and outlets for their creativity. I’m not sure having Mozart’s piano would make me play like Mozart ( :) ), but I’d sure feel inspired and that’s what it’s all about.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 am

Sam Spoons wrote: And at price you can afford. Good luck.

I have a feeling he could buy the Black Strat if he really wanted to. :shh:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 am

Possibly not the whole collection. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Wonks wrote:Possibly not the whole collection. :D

hehe, I wish! :)

Guitar Mag reckons there's gonna be some nice bargains in there. Due to the amount of publicity though, I think everything is gonna go for way over expected values. I don't wanna pay way over the odds really - even though I love Dave. Dave would understand.

The Black Strat is quintissentially Dave though. I wouldn't be surprised if that went for 250k. No doubt it will go to some mega rich owner of an ad agency and be hung on the wall in their coffee area. It shoud really go to someone whp can play it. They shouldn't let anyone make a bid unless they can play those 4 notes from 'Shine On...'

IMO
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote: They shouldn't let anyone make a bid unless they can play those 4 notes from 'Shine On...'

IMO

But not, necessarily, in the right order ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm

I tried that once, on a Bee Gees tribute (I know :blush: ) we were recording a rock version of a BGs tune (IIRC "The Change Is Made") in the style of Pink Floyd. I wanted to use a paraphrasing of the Shine On riff but the publisher was paranoid of being sued and they wouldn't let me include it. The track we did eventually produce is on here :- https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ordinary-PeopleLiving-Ordinary-Lives-An-International-Tribute-To-The-Bee-Gees/release/1371377

I'll try to get the track up on Soundcloud or something later.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote:They shouldn't let anyone make a bid unless they can play those 4 notes from 'Shine On...'

Daves on guitar.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:41 pm

I've just been flipping through the write-up in Guitarist, and I think what DG is doing is really admirable.

I get far too attached to my instruments; even the ones that are, frankly, pretty rubbish. :tongue:

It's good to change it up once in a while.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 am

As regards the DG auction thing, I was very excited initially but it looks like massive hassle. Christie's want 25%, then there shipping/duties/taxes..

And now there CITES. Which I never even heard of. That looks like major hassle. Here's the email I got...

"If you choose to shipment using Christie’s Art Transport, transfer of ownership would occur at the destination. Kindly be advised that all international shipments are initiated with duties and taxes unpaid. Any additional costs will be determined by the local government and the shipper will contact you directly regarding payment.

Additionally, kindly note that many of the lots in this sale contains CITES material, which require a permit to export from the United States. Should you wish to proceed with a quote through Christie's, we will apply for this export permit on your behalf. At this time, we anticipate this process to take between 6-8 months."

Has anyone gone through this permit process? Does it cost owt? Is the permit always granted?

Not simple is it.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

PreviousNext