You are here

Telecaster

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Telecaster

Postby jaminem » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:58 pm

I had a Baja, now I have a super deluxe.

I hope you keep your job, because you have correctly identified that you do need a tele in your life. I love 'em. they're such solid performers. you can bash them, twang them, strum them, pick them. They do it all, in a simple easy to get on with package...

Less controls = better in my book....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:29 pm

You can even play Jazz on them :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlrpMgoP_uc
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Bunk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Well good luck with the interview (which you may well be having as I write). And as others have said, your logic is faultless!
Big Tele fan here; used to be a Epiphone / Gibson player when I was in a band and always thought it ideal given what we were playing. But once I got a Tele (and now have 2), I never looked back; much more versatile I thought and better sounding anyway.
A mate also has a Squire Tele (can't remember what model) and I agree with the comments above - it's a wonderful guitar and possibly hugely underrated due to its price.
Let us know how you get / got on!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby arkieboy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:01 am

Good luck with the interview!

I'm starting to think that I have a Tele shaped hole in my life too - gotta complete the holy trinity if nothing else. :beamup:
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

I had a Squier Tele which I sold last year. I have been asking myself "WTF was I thinking" ever since!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 am

BJG145 wrote:I never really "got" Telecasters before. But I'm starting to feel there's a Tele-shaped gap in my life.

I've got a work interview on Friday morning to keep my job in a restructuring/redundancy situation. So I've decided that, if I keep my job, I'll get a Tele to celebrate. And if I don't, I'll get one as a consolation.

The logic seems pretty solid to me. ;)

How did the work interview go??? I'm sure I'm not the only person who hopes it went in your favour, sir!

Also, got the Tele yet? ;)
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby BJG145 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 am

garrettendi wrote:How did the work interview go???

Well...I didn't get the job. But I did order a very nice Tele. (Secondhand 2016 Butterscotch Elite.)

So, not all bad. ;)

BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job :thumbdown:

But... Niiiiiiiiiiiiice :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby The Bunk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm

BJG145 wrote:
garrettendi wrote:How did the work interview go???

Well...I didn't get the job. But I did order a very nice Tele. (Secondhand 2016 Butterscotch Elite.)

So, not all bad. ;)

I have two teles. I now need a third.
Lovely!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby jaminem » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm

mmmmmmmmmm

that's filth...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:28 pm

ooo soory about the job, but your logic is working as planned! Gorgeous tele!

I have four teles, one built by me so it only looks like a tele, a AVRI '62 in sea foam and two custom shops, one with hand wound pickups and that guitar will be cremated with me.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Likewise sorry to hear about the job, but that is a nice bit of compensation. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:44 pm

I have five teles: four yamahas (including two converted to Esquires, one set up for slide), one real deal US. I love Teles.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Humble Bee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Sorry about the job!
That's a gorgeous telecaster! :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 pm

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job :(

Nice Tele!! I absolutely LOVE butterscotch blonde Teles. The truss rod adjustment wheel is a welcome addition on the elite series instruments too I feel.

+ the case is lovely!

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm

Sweet! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 am

I have a serious yearning for a 7 string, I'd love a 7 string Jazz Box or, this Selmer style that is on ebay just now. I definitely don't want a metal monster but I came across a 7 string Tele style from Thomann which looks quite presentable and is dirt cheap. As a proof of concept it may be just the job and it's not like Tele's don't have Jazz credentials with Ted Greene and Joe Pass playing them.

I intend to try BEADGCF (parralel 4ths) or standard tuning with a low A, both have their attractions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRAND-AAA-Hand-carved-Gypsy-7String-Jazz-Guitar-With-Case/362536199313?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_7_fanfret_jbb_2018_dlx.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9aSgaqOxV8p9Agyicq8sTMjMxvcUyRH7rZFUwQQT4--0dJkSP14ytoaAmZCEALw_wcB
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 am

Beauty! :thumbup:
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby IvanSC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 pm

I have two un-teles.

A 1990/1 USA G&L ASAT, which I love totally. You can see it on the main pic on my farcebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Skivin-Ivan-an ... 090917244/

A self-hacked together Frankentele, based on an £80 Winfield tele-alike I bought in Oxford years ago because I loved the neck profile. This now has decent Gotoh tuners and through body stringing to a compensated three barrel bridge, all topped off with a pair of Custom Shop 52 reissue pickups. It`s a bit good to play even if it doesnt sound like yer average tele.

Who needs a real one?
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby BJG145 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 pm

...the Tele has caused a mild degree of hassle; when it initially turned up, the neck pickup wasn't working, or only worked very intermittently. ("Fender Gen 4 Noiseless"). So I took it to the local guitar shop who declared it fixed a week or so later...nope, just the same. Took it back again, and two weeks on, they've called to say they'll need to get a new set. (It's apparently not uncommon for the neck pickup to packup on these, and Fender don't sell them separately.)

But I don't mind too much; just impatient to get my hands on it.

Meanwhile, I've picked up another job which carries on when my current one finishes at the end of the month, which is a relief. (Mainly the respite from all the well-wishers who keep asking "Have you got a job yet??")

I always thought people were daft when they went straight from one job into the next without a break, but I've discovered that when you're faced with the prospect of losing one, and you're invited to start another the day after, you tend not to hesitate.

It's actually part-time...and I'm dreaming of the possibility of being able to scrape by on that with a lot more time to get on with doing some music instead of just thinking about it. Or at the very least, have more time to think about doing it.

It even occurred to me that it might be possible to earn a little extra money from it...but no, that's an absurd idea...! :tongue:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext