You are here

Portable multi FX unit - seeking recommendations

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Portable multi FX unit - seeking recommendations

Postby zazou_berlin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Can any of you guitarists recommend a multi FX unit that does this decently:

Reverb
BPM-able Delay (MIDI is a bonus)
overdrive
pre-amping
I’m looking to get a solution for the road.

Cheers!
j
zazou_berlin
New here

Re: Portable multi FX unit - seeking recommendations

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:02 pm

I'd have said any but the cheapest floor fx will do all of those (except, possibly, BMP delay but all modern ones have a tap tempo feature). I have a 20 year old Boss GT-3 which has nice reverbs, analogue drives and easily programable delays.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 am

If you want the ultimate solution then I'd suggest a Line 6 Helix. That pedal really has been a revolution for my live work. Once you realise what it's capable of you have a device that will handle a multitude of tasks, including triggering external devices, amp switching, monitor mixes and much more. Not cheap, but definitely worth every penny in my world.

But I also frequently use a few Digitech pedals, and the RP500 is a close second to the Helix without all the clever bits. It will do the basics that you're needing, and it's also built like a small tank.

I should point out I'm using mine with keyboards, but the principle is the same!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby arkieboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 am

+1 for Helix.

Comes in a few varieties - the cheapest 'full fat' experience is the LT, but you can get the 'FX' without amp modelling which you either run straight into the input of your clean amp if you like pedals for dirt, or 4-cable into your guitar amp if you channel switch; and also the 'Stomp' which has a limited number of blocks to put your effects and amp sims in.

If you don't use lots of foot pedals - you specify delay and reverb so with an amp+cab that would be three out of your six blocks used - you might be able to get away with a Stomp all by itself.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:47 pm

zazou_berlin wrote:Reverb
BPM-able Delay (MIDI is a bonus)
overdrive
pre-amping

Of that list it's the pre-amping that is the challenge (followed by overdrive). I've used various units over the years but it wasn't until I got my Kemper that I felt as though I had something to match a 'real' valve amp. I haven't tried the Helix but, from all accounts, it is up to the same standard.

I've gigged units such as the Line 6 POD HD500 and probably most of the audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and my Kemper - but I could. So a lot of it comes down to what you are willing to accept.

What is the budget?
Will you be plugging directly into the PA? How do you intend to monitor?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster