You are here

Two guitars into a single amp?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Two guitars into a single amp?

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:09 pm

I have a Peavey Transtube Envoy 110 (red stripe) with both High Gain and Low Gain inputs. The manual states: "If both the Low Gain and High Gain inputs are used simultaneously, their levels are both Low Gain".

I'm hoping to start a new band and I've got a feeling the other guitarist won't want to do rehearsals into a mixer and headphones so to save him having to lug an amp to my house (he only has a moped), I plan to both of us plug into the two inputs on the Envoy, with everything clean and flat, then use pedals to get different tones, such as:

1. Biyang Metal End for a 5150/Rectifier tone (clone of Akai Deluxe Distortion)
2. Joyo Ultimate Drive for a Marshall tone (clone of Fulltone OCD).

All EQ etc would be done on the pedals, and then we'd get the mixed sound from the one speaker on the Envoy,

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree on this? Would the single speaker cope with it?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Two guitars into a single amp?

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 pm

With a pedal in the way, you'll be fine. A single speaker won't have any problems. I have noticed that with two guitars straight into hi + low inputs on an amp, that one guitar can load the other and when the guitar in the hi input plays it makes the other guitar quieter. But with pedals on (or buffered pedals), then their output stages will prevent any interaction.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks Wonks! Sounds like I can go this route then. Both pedals are true bypass but when on they would obviously be buffered.

Would the two different tones "mix well" from the single speaker? So not asking if it would damage anything, more asking if all I'll get is mud...
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Also not sure what you mean by "output stages"... Could you dumb it down for an idiot like me?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm

garrettendi wrote:Would the two different tones "mix well" from the single speaker?

Well... if you record those two guitars tones and mix them together to make your No1 hit record, the adoring masses will replay your hit track through a single speaker.... :-)

So yes, it will be fine! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Haha! A-doy! I'm an idiot!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote: make your No1 hit record

Would this be the record that tops 'The Hit Parade'? Get with it Granddad. Records are out, 8 track cartridge is what the kids are into today ;)
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Tying into my other thread about the Tascam in Musician's Lounge, I can also connect the HeadAmp 4 into the headphone output of the amp so me and the other axe-man can still use headphones.. If I can persuade him....

So it looks like the Tascam is going! I'll miss it.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:38 pm

"True bypass" could also mean the output resistance of those pedals could be very different.

You would expect a well designed stage to be around 100 Ohms but often guitar pedals are 1k or more, a hangover from discrete transistor days I suppose?

So, you might find that one pedal's output loads down the other but that should only cause a level shift, no smoke! If that does happen the simplest solution is to just "pad out" the low R out with a 1k or so.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 pm

I have two BOSS TU-3 tuners. If I put both of those in between the two pedals and the two inputs they'd have the same stage? Would that fix the potential issue?

EDIT: The TU-3 isn't true bypass, so if I just connect the output to the amp inputs it should still be buffered even without the TU-3 switched on.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:51 pm

unrequested - offtopic - advice: don't start a band with a guy that doesn't event bother in bringing an amp to rehearsals :headbang: :headbang:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:54 pm

In this case its my idea to do that. I'm sure he'd find a way to bring his amp to my house, but given he has a moped, and his wife will be at home looking after their kid I'd feel better him sharing my amp.

As we get more members in the band we'll probably be using a decent rehearsal space anyway.

So yes normally I'd agree with you, but I feel this is an acceptable compromise, and as I say, it's my idea, I'm sure he'd bring his amp if he could borrow the family car.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Huh! My musician son does not drive and goes everywhere in France on the bus!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok fair point, I'll ask him anyway. :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 pm

garrettendi wrote:Am I completely barking up the wrong tree on this? Would the single speaker cope with it?

Digressing a bit but, way back in prehistory, I remember seeing a local band who used a single Watkins Westminster for both guitarists, the bass player and the vocalist. The drummer had a snare drum only. They were doing Cliff Richard covers.
The really sad thing is that I was envious of their gear - after all the Westminster was 14 watts !
At the time I was playing with a skiffle group with three acoustic guitars and a tea chest bass (we couldn't afford a washboard).
By the way, their amplifier survived unscathed for several years.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular