You are here

Mystery White amp, Matamp/Hiwatt?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Mystery White amp, Matamp/Hiwatt?

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I acquired a few dozen sheets of it when a local place closed down, passed most on to a luthier mate but hung onto a few........

Aha - I've been slow on this one, but just realised that by chamfering the edges of Traffolyte this material is what gets used to create those 'purfling-like' edges on various guitar scratchplates?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Similar. Scratchplate/pickguard material is normally a bit softer. Traffolyte is quite hard and brittle, so not great for scratchplates not firmly attached to a flat surface.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Wonks wrote:Similar. Scratchplate/pickguard material is normally a bit softer. Traffolyte is quite hard and brittle, so not great for scratchplates not firmly attached to a flat surface.

Was it invented by a Mr or Mrs Traff like Bakerlite? I shall have a Googe.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:34 pm

I think it was named after the original Metropolitan Vickers factory located in Trafford Park but that might be coincidence.

It did/does contain phonelic dust, depending on brand/age so use proper PPE if you do work with it.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby IvanSC » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:07 pm

back when I was a REALLY NOISY bass player I bought an Orange Graphic 120 - in about 1972/3-ish, same time as I bought a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass. I also somehow got in touch with whoever was Orange at the time & managed to get involved in one of their weirder cabinet designs. Two 15" speakers in a sealed box, one facing up & one facing down, with an outer rectangular box which had parabolic reflectors built in top & bottom. I fitted mine with a pair of 150 watt Altec Lansing speakers that I got from the then UK distributors for a song. Super efficient speakers and the throw from this cab was enough that I once used it at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the days when PAs were not man enough to take a DI`d bass!!
My amp was a classic Orange beast, really solid chromed chassis with rails that meant you could slap the amp down on a bench with no fear of crunching the interior components. Wiring was a work of art - well up to HiWatt standards. The only downside was that they had over egged the treble control. Would go into parasitic distortion really high up if you went much past midnight on the treble control. But bloody hell if you wanted a really loud clean bass sound with just enough valve yumminess to put a smile on yer face this was IT. I would love to know what happened to that speaker cabinet.... cant even find a photo of one on the net, but the one I got was a prototype AFAIK, so maybe mine was a one off. Aha!!! googled again and found a photo of one!
The chaps on Talkbass didnt seem to know too much about it but it DID make it into production!! Here ya go: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/replac ... ge.720773/
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Previous