You are here

FRFR recommendations

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

FRFR recommendations

Postby arkieboy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:24 pm

What do people have? What have they tried that they like?

This looks interesting - anyone have one?

https://www.laney.co.uk/products/frfr-l ... ve-cabinet
arkieboy
Regular

Re: FRFR recommendations

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm

I've not heard the Laney.

Personally I use an Alto TS210 with my Kemper to provide a bit of 'back line' whilst also sending a feed to the FOH. The Alto is a lot lighter and cheaper than the Laney.

With the Laney, aside from looking more like a conventional guitar cab, you are paying for it's own cab emulation (1 x 12" or 4 x 12"). If you already use the cab emulation on your amp sim then this would seem to be a bit of a waste.

I do like the blue LED strip, but that may not be to everybody's taste.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Quoting some impossible figures in the specs for that Laney. 100W power input, 200W RMS output, 400W peak.

Get a few of those and all our power supply problems are solved. Just power one with 100W, get 200W out - power 2 more with 100W each - repeat a few times. Once it's all started, you could then switch over and get one of the later outputs to power the initial cab.

You can't get a steady 200W RMS output from 100W input. That input figure is probably an average when playing loud, as you don't play in an RMS way, unless you are doing a Parisienne Walkways feedback solo.

EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeEeEeEeEeEe(soulful vibrato)eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BigRedX » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 am

I'm primarily a bass player but I also play guitar. I have replaced my rigs (one guitar and two bass) with a Line6 Helix and an RCF745 FRFR a year ago.

For me it was a completely logical decision. Since 100% of the guitar and bass tone comes from my Helix patches the amps and speakers I was previously using were nothing more than personal monitors on stage and often turned down to such an extent in order prevent bleed into the FoH sound that in some instances the sound I was getting from the wedge monitors was louder than from my rig.

Swapping over to an FRFR allows me a lot more flexibility with speaker positioning on stage. These days most of the time I have the cab pointing across the stage which allows the rest of the band to hear what I'm playing without compromising the FoH sound and it's one less thing to have in the monitors. For bigger stages with decent foldback I might not even bother taking the FRFR.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby arkieboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks people, that's been helpful.

FYI I do do FRFR - I have a Studiospares active 1x15"+horn on a loooong term loan from DaveB (I so owe him a curry and a nice bottle - TBF I've tried to arrange such on several occasions!!). It's been about 3 years since I took a proper guitar amplifier out to a gig or a rehearsal room - I've been through the whole amp-in-the-room thing and given the convenience and that all of the drummers I work with at the moment use electronic kits I'm comfortable using modelling kit.

Aside from the fact that the SS speaker is cheap and cheerful, I feel like I could get a better sound if I was using 10" or 12" speakers - given the different frequency responses between 15" and 12" speakers I must be leaning on the unit's crossover and horn more than is necessary. It would also be nice to get something a little more traditional. That said I still want a proper FRFR system so I can tweak my sounds in the rehearsal room confident that when I send a signal to the desk the sounds and levels are as they should.

I was hoping someone might have already schlepped up and down the country auditioning various options and had some opinions. From what I've read/watched the Atomic CLR gets consistently high ratings, the Friedman units are variously described as 'dark', Headrush is 'fizzy' with perhaps a tad too much bass extension (but definitely usable), and I don't need the speaker emulation in the Line 6 units. After that there's a Mission unit thats the dogs but completely out of my price range, and the Matrix kit that is sold direct so I can't audition it.

An earlier Laney unit got a good review on SOS, and I have an option to pick up the LFR112 at more like the Alto price.

I'll report back.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Wonks wrote:Quoting some impossible figures in the specs for that Laney. 100W power input, 200W RMS output, 400W peak.

Get a few of those and all our power supply problems are solved. Just power one with 100W, get 200W out - power 2 more with 100W each - repeat a few times. Once it's all started, you could then switch over and get one of the later outputs to power the initial cab.

You can't get a steady 200W RMS output from 100W input. That input figure is probably an average when playing loud, as you don't play in an RMS way, unless you are doing a Parisienne Walkways feedback solo.

EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeEeEeEeEeEe(soulful vibrato)eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Power factor , crest factor , suspect someone didn't get the difference between VA and W blah blah, Class D amp section ???
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com