You are here

My latest project: Making my own amp sim

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

My latest project: Making my own amp sim

Postby garrettendi » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 am

So over the last two weeks I've been using free plugins to make my own "amp sim".

I was inspired by a YouTube video and decided to go for it. I was also sick of not seeing sims of "lesser" gear. I used to have a Marshall Lead 12 micro stack and stupidly sold it (although the replacement amp is better). So I decided to use my memory and a few samples and demos online to reproduce it.

I set myself a challenge to do it using only Melda's free plugins. MWaveShaper, MEqualizer, MSaturator and MConvolutionEZ but I found one element was missing which is critical. The Lead 12 had a pretty tight distortion, and all I could get from those Melda plugins is a very loose fuzz, kind of like turning up the gain on a mixer and letting it clip.

So I cheated. It's still free, but I used TSE's R47 pedal sim (a RAT clone) and I found it's pretty much perfect for a Lead 12 sound. But I do feel really guilty, as I feel a lot of the tone is now coming from the RAT.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of using another MWaveShaper as a drive plugin, or maybe MWaveFolder.

It doesn't have to be Melda, but I was hoping to upload the collection to Melda's preset repository so it would be best.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: My latest project: Making my own amp sim

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 am

I guess no-one has any interest in this! :lol:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: My latest project: Making my own amp sim

Postby jellyjim » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 am

It's interesting I just imagine you're way ahead of the curve on this one than the rest of us!

"What do you did last night?"

"Oh I made my own amp sim."

Said hardly anybody, ever! ;)
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com