You are here

Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 am

My Luthier says that removing the sound post will damage the guitar. Peerless says the same thing, that on this guitar the 'sound post' is also a structural thing that keeps the front of the guitar from collapsing over time.

Oh dear.

I am going to have to trade this guy in.

Thank you all for your detective work. I am convinced that the sound post is causing these zingies. When the bridge is moved away from there the zingies cease. That sound post is kind of weird. Has a huge affect on the instrument, at least it does on mine.

I think a 175-style archtop guitar. Feels good to me. Something to plug into my Polytone amp, and play standards, but also be able to record some contemporary jazz.

But I also really liked the feel of a Hoffner Jazzica too I played once.

No more zingies. I am tired of fighting with it!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 am

Traded in the Peerless for this!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yO98d ... fngUWRD9GK

No more zingies!

I love this guitar.

Gibson ES-195
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm

Too late to be of much help but I asked my brother if he’s ever come across anything like this, he’s seen enough guitar problems in his time.

In literally hundred of repairs and restorations he’s only seen it once, where you get a buzz when releasing the note. This was on a classical guitar, and the problem in this case was the frets.

Although they looked ok, they were not actually fully bedded into the fret slots and the fret ends were not glued down. As the string was released the fret end was somehow allowed to vibrate at a certain point as the pressure came off.

Slightly deepening the slots and gluing the fret ends cured the problem.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:41 pm

adrian_k wrote:Too late to be of much help but I asked my brother if he’s ever come across anything like this, he’s seen enough guitar problems in his time.

In literally hundred of repairs and restorations he’s only seen it once, where you get a buzz when releasing the note. This was on a classical guitar, and the problem in this case was the frets.

Although they looked ok, they were not actually fully bedded into the fret slots and the fret ends were not glued down. As the string was released the fret end was somehow allowed to vibrate at a certain point as the pressure came off.

I blamed the frets too at first. So I had it refretted! That evened it out so that it happened equally over the fretboard, but did not remove the zingies. :sick:

The new guitar did cure the problem. ;)
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:
adrian_k wrote:Too late to be of much help but I asked my brother if he’s ever come across anything like this, he’s seen enough guitar problems in his time.

I blamed the frets too at first. So I had it refretted! That evened it out so that it happened equally over the fretboard, but did not remove the zingies. :sick:

The new guitar did cure the problem. ;)

Weeeird!
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Previous