You are here

Trem-Stopper - stopping the clunk,,,,

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Trem-Stopper - stopping the clunk,,,,

Postby Jathon Delsy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi there,
so, how do you do it, that is stop the clunk when the depressed Floyd Rose returns to position and clunks against the trem-stopper. This noise most definitely comes through the pickups, especially with a hi-gain sound. There must be a way. So what is it?
Thanks,
Jathon.
Jathon Delsy
Regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/jathondelsy

Re: Trem-Stopper - stopping the clunk,,,,

Postby ef37a » Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Self adhesive draught stop strip?

Available from B&Q and all good DIY stores.

I am sure Andy will be along shortly to give me a slap.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed May 08, 2019 1:39 pm

No slap required Dave, although other adhesive pads are available as well :)

The problem is that you either have an accurate stopper with a clunck, or some pad material that will damp the clunk at the risk of less accurate tuning.

If anyone has a solution it would be Studio Support Gnome when he's next passing through.

But I have a feeling that the secret is adapting your trem technique. Maybe learning to return to position with more control, or using a palm mute to damp the clunk passing into the strings.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ef37a » Wed May 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Phew! Escaped a bllkn then! But my next totally uniformed comments might earn me one?

Can the tremolo not be setup to have some "lost motion"? I mean the strings are back to the right tension a fraction of a mm before the trem mech hits the stop?
I'll have a Google for some engineering drawings.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu May 09, 2019 12:19 am

ef37a wrote:Phew! Escaped a bllkn then! But my next totally uniformed comments might earn me one?

Can the tremolo not be setup to have some "lost motion"? I mean the strings are back to the right tension a fraction of a mm before the trem mech hits the stop?
I'll have a Google for some engineering drawings.

Dave.

Errrr No......

there is no slack, there is only Zuul
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu May 09, 2019 12:40 am

depends on which precise type of trem setting gizmo you have

accurate set up and tuning is critical to optimising all of them, and even changing brand of string can be enough to require going back to initial set up process

the rest point of the trem must be accurately set such that it is "just" on the trem stabiliser.... and no extra pressure is applied, this will minimise the impact when returning, but there will always be SOME impact on the simpler systems.... (those with a simple adjustable bar fitted inside a spring for example.)

there are more complex systems with extra springs, whether simple steel coils, or hydraulic pressure based, . they are all fundamentally prone to being mechanically fussy about precision set up.... but typically offer less "mid point notchiness"

most can be made to work quietly , for gentle trem use, but any application of "Floyd Warble", or fast dive releases, will inevitably get a little "cloink" noise when the trem passes thru the rest point at speed.

personally I no longer use them....

My favourite current trick is to use springs with a rubber damping sleeve.
IN simplest form this could be simply heat shrink applied to Trem Springs.

One of my S series came with them in situ... the trem feel is much stiffer , without really changing the balance between spring and string.... I still use 3 springs, at roughly the same stretch as previously, it allows for improved stability of tuning when behind notes... making unison bends much easier to achieve , for example...
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby John Egan » Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote:

One of my S series came with them in situ... the trem feel is much stiffer , without really changing the balance between spring and string.... I still use 3 springs, at roughly the same stretch as previously, it allows for improved stability of tuning when behind notes... making unison bends much easier to achieve , for example...

Does that impact the slightly reverberant sound of a good Strat vibrato ?
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Jathon Delsy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks for all the informative replies folks. I tried the suggested remedy of loosening the tremolo action so that it just touches the stopper, but this still produces an audible click, especially through my sensitive high output pickups with an overdriven modern metal sound. And, more disturbingly, the low tension means that the tremolo clucks back and forth audibly against the stopper during string bends, which is even worse!
On top of the clunking sound, my main irritation was that, if you tightened the tremolo enough to avoid any movement during bends, its action became way to tight, rendering all my sensitive nuanced uses of it practically impossible, unless I have super strong hands (which I don't). For this reason alone I've removed this device from my instrument. The Floyd Rose floating tremolo is fiddly to set up and tune, but once this is sorted I love the feel of it, which when floating with the block parallel to the body has the stiffness I'm used to. I certainly don't want it any stiffer.
The only thing I miss is the extra sustain and tone that the tremstopper connection gave to the sound.
As I never pull my tremolo bar upwards, I would welcome a way to stop the tremolo, with the concomitant tuning stability and ease of set-up. Also the increase in tone and sustain is very welcome. But is there a way?
Jathon Delsy
Regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/jathondelsy

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 pm

John Egan wrote:

Regards, John

yup.... it reduces it somewhat,.. but since we are talking about Floyd rose equipped guitars, I doubt the subtleties of good Strats are the main concern....

I have pretty much identical guitars , with and without these, and it's a clear winner , so much so that I'm migrating the majority over to them .... but as noted, it also damps the length of resonance on techniques like warble-flick on the trem arm.... so i'll keep one or two in standard unsleeved trim
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Egan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 am

John Egan wrote:
Regards, John

yup.... it reduces it somewhat,.. but since we are talking about Floyd rose equipped guitars, I doubt the subtleties of good Strats are the main concern....

I suppose not.
My dabbling with trem subtleties ended with the remarkable Burns Split Sonic design - still the best I have ever used.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 am

Jathon Delsy wrote:Hi there,
so, how do you do it, that is stop the clunk when the depressed Floyd Rose returns to position and clunks against the trem-stopper. This noise most definitely comes through the pickups, especially with a hi-gain sound. There must be a way. So what is it?
Thanks,
Jathon.

You use your hand? :-)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page