You are here

Balancing Speaker Cab levels

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Balancing Speaker Cab levels

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 am

Plus the 15" frequency response extends up to 4kHz so rolling that off at 100Hz loses 4 or 5 octaves from it which will completely change the sound of the cab which the OP doesn't want.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BigRedX » Wed May 08, 2019 11:46 am

ef37a wrote:"Hartke" bass cab Sam had a central tweeter but I remember thinking at the time....

WTF??!!

Dave.

Nearly all bass cabs that aren't old school designs will have a tweeter, crossover and a volume control for the tweeter on the back panel.

Bass cabs that mix driver sizes will also have built-in crossovers and usually a level control for each of the smaller drivers.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Yup, but not guitar cabs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yup, but not guitar cabs.

And the OP has already said he does not want a pot!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Wed May 08, 2019 1:17 pm

But ef37a was talking about a Hartke bass cab.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 08, 2019 2:06 pm

True but that was why I qualified in my reply. The OP OTOH is definitely talking guitar cab. I do agree with many of your points, particularly that a couple of matching cabs would probably be a good option but the OP obviously likes the mix of timbres his complex setup produces.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed May 08, 2019 5:39 pm

BigRedX wrote:

But ef37a was talking about a Hartke bass cab.

Yes, I did and it put pussy among the pigeons. I won't go into why. Totally my fault.

We are only talking guitar cabs from now on. NONE of which ever had tweeters AFAIK!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Well, some acoustic guitar cabs do...

::: ducks and runs for cover :::
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 pm

blinddrew wrote:Well, some acoustic guitar cabs do...

::: ducks and runs for cover :::

Sam Spoons wrote:Wot Dave sez, but to add I have never seen an electric guitar cab with a crossover (or a tweeter BTW) but mixing speaker sizes, while not common, is far from unheard of.

Complex thread but the OP is asking about electric guitar cabs powered by valve amps so 'normal' practice for bass or acoustic guitar amps is not really relevant. Your coat is on the hook by the door BD :smirk: .........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 am

I think we are all missing the obvious here.

First, if the OP had found a cab combination that worked for him; he wouldn't be here asking the question. It, self evidently, doesn't work. What we can be certain of is that a combination of 1x15, 2x10, & 4x12 isn't delivering the goods. In my opinion, the previous advice of finding the one cab that works best and (if you need to be louder) buy another one the same, is the sensible route. Occam's razor and all that.

Second, we've not heard from the OP for a few days, but we appear to have sent him on a search for attenuators and cross-overs. Yes, it is possible to engineer a solution along those lines, but just because it's possible it doesn't mean that it is a good engineering solution.

Seven drivers of 3 sizes in three different size and volume cabs, and all producing overlapping frequencies. By any measure, that is a recipe for disaster.

If the OP returns I think we should be asking him "why are you doing this", "what are you trying to achieve". That way, at least, we might be of some assistance.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Previous