You are here

'The Paul'

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

'The Paul'

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon May 27, 2019 1:41 am

https://reverb.com/uk/news/gibson-reiss ... l-les-paul

Why, oh why? It was dreadful in 1978, too heavy, too dull & too ugly. One of the few guitars I've never regretted selling. But worst of all saying 'I've got a Les Paul The Paul' made you sound stupid, just not quite as stupid as saying 'I've got a The Paul'.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Re: 'The Paul'

Postby MOF » Mon May 27, 2019 2:19 am

I’m not a guitar player but I think it looks good.
MOF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 27, 2019 8:50 am

I rather like it actually. But then i do like wood-finish guitars.
The name is silly though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:13 am

Fun, I rather like it but like Drew I like wood-looking guitars.

Still I don’t get the point of these things. It’s a freakin guitar, and at most is a Les Paul.. all this ‘we change the color of one knob and we call it a different model’ has always felt laughable to me. It’s a Les Paul. They haven’t changed very much from the first les Paul, you pick it up, you play it, that’s it... ;)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ore_terra » Mon May 27, 2019 10:23 am

looks like they're replicating the yamaha AES 620 :headbang:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon May 27, 2019 12:10 pm

CS70 wrote:Fun, I rather like it but like Drew I like wood-looking guitars.

Me too (no hashtag). Despite the blurb for the re-issue the original was matt finished, more like it had been oiled or waxed & buffed lightly. But the real issue is that it was tonally dull. It had endless sustain, even by LP standards, but was totally devoid of character. No overtones, no resonances, it was like having an entire fretboard of flat-spots. I'm always dubious when manufacturers start talking about 'tonewoods' but I'm pretty sure that walnut isn't one of them.

It wasn't popular in 1978 & I don't see any reason (other than the cool retro vibe) for expecting it to be now. It's portrayed as being a no-frills workhorse, but in reality it doesn't deliver.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby arkieboy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:21 pm

I used to have a 'The SG' from the same range which I really quite liked. I say 'used' because it was deemed far too cool for Dad and summarily declared to belong to my son, who absolutely loves the stripped down beat up vibe.

Max - an avowed SG unafficionado - declared it as almost likeable, which I take as a high complement :-)

While 'The Paul' is definitely made out of walnut, I'm not absolutely sure about 'The SG' which I have read some reports of being made out of mahogany. Wikipedia says walnut though.

We're probably going to re-fret it and replace the electronics, bridge and tail stop to bring it back to a properly gig-able state.
arkieboy
Regular