You are here

Micing amp for 50's Jazz Guitar sound?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Micing amp for 50's Jazz Guitar sound?

Postby Pheluris » Fri May 31, 2019 8:29 am

I've been an acoustic player and recording person for many years. I have a new project where I want to add electric Jazz guitar sounds to some of my original tunes. Think Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass type tone.
I've got two friends who are top notch players that can play this stuff very well. What I dont know is how to record them. I've seen a bunch of videos where folks do this and read a bunch of things, so I will try those. I have some good mics (Royer R121, etc) and pres and a good room sound.
What I was wondering is if any of you who record this sound have any tricks to suggest?
Pheluris

Re: Micing amp for 50's Jazz Guitar sound?

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 31, 2019 11:29 am

If you've got good players, a good room, and good mics, it should be a pretty simple case of experimenting with amp and mic positions until you find a sound you like. All the usual provisos apply (amps close to boundaries will increase their low end, mics on axis to the speaker tend to be brighter etc etc).
You've got the advantage of not trying to record yourself so just get them set up and comfortable and then move stuff around until you get the sound you want.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...