You are here

Transistor Amps

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Transistor Amps

Postby Wonks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 am

Probably depends on what sounds you want. I recently repaired the reverb circuit on a Sessionette 75 for Ronnie Wibberly and was surprised just how good the clean sound was. The distortion sound was OK as well, though wasn't particularly valve-like, but very useable.

The Roland will do better valve-like overdriven sounds and just breaking up sounds, but it's a heavy amp, only a few pounds lighter than a Hot Rod Deluxe. So you lose the lightness advantage.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:22 am

The only way you'll know for sure is to try them out yourself.

If I was looking for a transistor amp for clean sounds it would be a Roland Jazz Chorus.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby thefruitfarmer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:19 am

Wonks wrote:Probably depends on what sounds you want. I recently repaired the reverb circuit on a Sessionette 75 for Ronnie Wibberly and was surprised just how good the clean sound was. The distortion sound was OK as well, though wasn't particularly valve-like, but very useable.

The Roland will do better valve-like overdriven sounds and just breaking up sounds, but it's a heavy amp, only a few pounds lighter than a Hot Rod Deluxe. So you lose the lightness advantage.

The crunch and distortion on the blues baby is fine to my ear, not rough like the 80's versions. I can get a variety of cleans to distorted sounds out of it.

What I like about the Roland Blues Cube Artist is that it is a dual channel amp so you can blend the clean and distorted. I expect it sounds pretty good but there is a footswitch as well and those tone capsules so the dollars could mount up fairly quickly.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am

BigRedX wrote: Roland Jazz Chorus.

Someone always says that ... :clap: :clap: ;)
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby IvanSC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 am

Sorry but I just cant get on with any "transistor" amp I have ever used.

Hot glass and lots of iron.
I am now down to two guitar amps, both valve, and a fishman Artist acoustic which is solid state and works oK for my acoustic.

Oddly enough I have no issues with solid state for bass amps, despite my early love affairs with Phillips (really!!) and Orange valve amps.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby BigRedX » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

thefruitfarmer wrote:

There's a reason for that.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby thefruitfarmer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 pm

IvanSC wrote:Sorry but I just cant get on with any "transistor" amp I have ever used.

Hot glass and lots of iron.
I am now down to two guitar amps, both valve, and a fishman Artist acoustic which is solid state and works oK for my acoustic.

Oddly enough I have no issues with solid state for bass amps, despite my early love affairs with Phillips (really!!) and Orange valve amps.

Fair enough mate. :D :D :angel: :D :D

I am with you that solid state is fine for bass, used to have an Orange valve amp which was great until it went wrong, Now I have a Peavey Tour 700w and an old 100W Trace Combo, don't need more bass amps and I am not playing bass much at the moment anyway. I reckon bottom end clean tone is necessary for bass, for me at least, and transistors deliver that. I figured that if I ever need dirt in my bass sound I can always find a good pedal.....

I like transistor amps for guitar TBH. They have an instant response and a good one has nice sounding grind to it. Very useable and I think the Award Session tricks the ear to make you think you are hearing a valve amp. The speaker makes plenty difference too.

I should really get a valve amp but that's for another day. Got the builders in over summer so everything gets packed away for a few weeks.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:01 pm

BigRedX wrote:
thefruitfarmer wrote:

There's a reason for that.

I know, classic sound.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Horses for courses, I love my valve combo (hand wired by my own hands) but TBH a decent solid state amp like the Tech21/Session/Blues Cube will get the job done and the audience won't hear the difference.

But, buy something that makes you want to switch it on and play guitar. If that's 'cos it's so small and light that getting it out of the closet takes 20 seconds or that you sold a kidney to buy it and it's tone makes you want to weep with happiness it doesn't matter...... If it makes you want to make music it's good.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:48 am

Sam Spoons wrote:But, buy something that makes you want to switch it on and play guitar.

This!

There's some difference in response and feel between transistor and tube amps (but then there's also between two different tube circuits).. but as of the sound, so long you don't exceed the headroom you're fine with a transistor amp. You can get a nice distortion from pedals if you need. As much as people chime about power stage overdrive, I find that not so many actually use it in practice. A good tube preamp pedal that you can overdrive, with a distortion on top if you so like, a transistor amp with dollops of headroom and you're all set. After all, it's nothing different than listening to your fave guitar line on a hi-fi or a PA!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby thefruitfarmer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 pm

Valve amps do smell nice though.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:42 pm

:thumbup: :bouncy:
thefruitfarmer wrote:Valve amps do smell nice though.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!