You are here

Stratocaster to Telecaster mod...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Stratocaster to Telecaster mod...

Postby Elephone » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi. Just wondering what people think of this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8beZHy7lpw

I've never really been fussed about having a volume dial on my guitar, I'd rather use a volume pedal for expression (preferably with a dial on that too, to set the maximum volume below 100% open).

I don't know whether it's my internet connection but I can hear digital 'staggering' in the examples though.

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Stratocaster to Telecaster mod...

Postby gingertimmins » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:11 pm

I’ve got it on my strat and love it to be honest.
I have also put a pickup which is constructed in a similar way to a Tele bride pickup.
My reasons for this were that I love the simplicity of my telecaster and my jazzmaster and adore that in between sound but when it comes to ergonomics the strat just wins every time.
This way I can have my strat neck pickup, a faux Tele bridge (always found strat bridge pickups to sound thin) and a faux Tele mid position as well as the simplicity of single volume and tone control.
All 3 pickups on sounds a bit naff to me but ymmv.

It’s never going to sound like a Tele for several reasons but it does a damn good job of pretending.

Not actually watched the video all the way through so can’t comment fully on the quality but it sounded ok on my cheap earbuds.

Chris
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 pm

I could easily tell the two guitars apart in the tests. Also, the Strat Bridge + Neck sound in the demo is nothing like my bridge + neck sound on my DG Strat. Theirs sounded more like a Strat bridge+mid or mid+neck sound to me. My bridge + neck sound is a lot clearer and thinner - more like you'd 'think' a Strat bridge pickup should be, whilst that on the DG Strat actually sounds quite pokey and full on its own. It's certainly the 'cleanest' sound on the guitar.

Of course you'll probably get some phase shifting and a different sound with a partial blend sound. But I'm not sure that it's that different from a standard mixed Strat sound to me, But it's an easy mod to do; though I think using a switched pot or a separate switch makes the whole thing easier to manage.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Elephone » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Phase reverse switch/es always seem a nice idea to me, and why not? Such an easy modification.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby pianowillbebach » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:36 am

I also have these on my strat and I love them too! I don't consider it a necessity, but it's definitely nice to have and convenient. I've also got some neat double humbuckers
pianowillbebach
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am

I have both on my LP but never use the tapped humbuckers as they sound far to weak alongside the full HB sound. The phase reverse is definitely nice though.

I have a series/parallel mod on both Strats, the P90 Strat has a switch that changes the mid position from both PUs in parallel to both in series, the 'standard' Strat has the centre pot wired to blend the bridge PU from parallel to series, can't remember exact details but both add a useful fatness to the sound.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Egan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 am

The Mexican Fat Strats from a few years back (90s?) used an added push switch to switch the bridge pickup on whatever five way position was selected. That was a simple way to add a pseudo-Tele sound. Works quite well.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular