You are here

Headphone practice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Headphone practice

Postby dpete » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 am

I'm going to be doing some traveling, and I need away to practice guitar and bass, in an apartment. I think the solution needs to allow for some kind of aux input, for play along or metronome/rhythm box. I have a new Mac laptop (and an old firewire duet), using logic, pretty much just as a sketch pad with logic. I plan to use some AKG 240s headphones I have.

Reasonable portability would be good. It probably doesn't need to go in an instrument case, but fitting a suit case and leaving room for a change of clothes and a shaving kit would be necessary. I've been looking at options and seem to be stuck. An audio interface is nice, but the device needs to operate without a computer.

Options -
Headphone amp - e.g. Phil Jones Bighead

A small mixer. Allen and Heath zed, or a sound craft.

Hotone Thunder bass

Vox amplug bass

Audient Sono

Others?

If I went with an audio interface to replace the old duet and clean up some cable tangle, I'd lean to the Sono. But clearly that's the higher cost option, although I'd get my money's worth.

I'm looking for experiences yea or nay with these options, and others that work for people who need to play at a near zero room volume.
dpete
Poster

Re: Headphone practice

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:59 am

How about a small multiFX pedal like this? https://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_pogo.htm It has aux in and a headphone output and can run off batteries.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:23 am

Line 6 Pocket pod?

Has aux in, sounds are somewhere in the rnage between meh and okish
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:25 am

Didn't see the Mooer suggestion, that's nice and cheap, no amp modelling, probably a good choice.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 am

I've not travelled with it yet but my "travel" setup is an old iPhone 6 I have knocking about with Bias Amp 2 fed from an IK Multimedia iRig 2.

This sounds pretty nice, good clean tones all the way to high gain. You can download user created amps as well so is very flexible!

If you have an iPhone 7+ I wouldn't recommend this with the headphone adapter, but you could try the iRig HD which would probably be better. The conversion with the adapter is awful.

The only thing you might not like with this is there are no real effects with Bias Amp, but Bias FX has recently come out for iPhones so you could give that a belt.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby dpete » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks everybody. The Mooer Pogo looks ideal, unfortunately, it is not available in the US, at this time. I hadn't considered the multi-effects unit idea, and with a little more research wound up ordering a Mooer PE100. Ad copy reads like the Pogo's slightly bigger brother.

The iPhone solution is tempting, but I'd like to have a device that was independent of my phone (which is a 6). I like to keep my devices with planned obsolescence independent of each other, minimizing the risk of having to replace the whole chain.
dpete
Poster

Postby SecretSam » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:59 am

I have used a Vox Amplug with guitar, and an old Bass Pod with bass. Both are great. You would need something in addition to add a backing track, though.

The Amplug produces an amazing sound and weighs almost nothing.

The Pod is also a generally-useful gadget as a backup if your amp breaks, or if you want a lazy gig where you just plug into the PA. And it also has the legendary Sub Dub patch for when you urgently need to demolish a small building.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am

SecretSam wrote:You would need something in addition to add a backing track, though.

Backing/metronome on the phone into the aux input solves that easily enough.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby SecretSam » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:01 pm

You are right, Other Sam. The Amplug has an aux in. Never noticed that.

The Bass Pod hasn't, though. At least not the 'vintage' model that I have.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 pm

The Mooer pod clone does though. :D Plenty of options out there.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:18 am

My son uses a Digitech Jam Man looper to build tracks listening via a Soundcraft 8FX mixer (but you could use a small headphone amp) .

He then dumps the tracks to a laptop for further work. The looper has USB connectivity and an SD card.

Note, the 8FX has high Z inputs and is a quiet 24bit USB device.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster