You are here

Eventide Rose, anyone tried it?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Eventide Rose, anyone tried it?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:51 pm

That’s it. I had a glimpse into the future and knew I would need it for a future gig and most importantly, the unit is more affordable now than in the future.
So I am a frugal and wise shopper!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:07 pm

blinddrew wrote:And now the circle is complete.
;)

You've got me thinking now (!)
Why do we buy anything, apart from an actual urgent, necessary need? Like, I need a new roof, or car etc.
Why did I buy my Buchla? It seemed the answer to a few problems, Euro wasn't making the right noises, it was big and unwieldy, and, potentially endless.
The Buchla addressed all of these problems, so, I bought it! Not realising that it would take me at least a year to figure the basics out, and at least three periods of wondering if I should sell it or not. I learnt a lot from this buying experience, gratification can take a long time, so can realising the potential of a thing, it's not easy, and TBH, most of this stuff isn't really needed at all, we come to buy, like, and end up using things by a very complicated path thats full of twists and turns, random exploration, and just downright illogical faffing about. Well, I do anyway.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby FrankF » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:54 pm

General question: why does the SOS forum, and forums generally, default to NOT notifying you that someone's replied? Isn't that rather an arse-about-face default? I tell you, I didn't fight two World Wars in order to spend the rest of my life ticking boxes when I'd rather open them...(contd. p. 42)

I just fired up the Digitech JamMan Delay again, and I had 15 mins of deliriously delayed, warped, and reversed fun with it: it has a Reverse button AND a Reverse setting, and a total of 8 twiddly knobs.
At one point I pressed the Reverse button and the internal drum machine went into, er, reverse. This is a very creative looper/delay, and yes, the Repeats knob allows it to self-oscillate. It also has an expression pedal input. As Ryuichi said, there are always other possibilities.
Another very creative delay/looper pedal is the Digitech TimeBender, which is quite similar to the above. It has only 5s vs 16s delay, but I'd say it's even more creative than the JamMan, as it has various "voicings" (pitch-shifted delays), and "time pattern" delay types (too complicated to explain here - RTM!).
I'm surprised Digitech discontinued these 2: they really are excellent for "off-world colony" type noises.
FrankF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:11 pm

FrankF wrote:General question: why does the SOS forum, and forums generally, default to NOT notifying you that someone's replied? Isn't that rather an arse-about-face default? I tell you, I didn't fight two World Wars in order to spend the rest of my life ticking boxes when I'd rather open them...(contd. p. 42)

I just fired up the Digitech JamMan Delay again, and I had 15 mins of deliriously delayed, warped, and reversed fun with it: it has a Reverse button AND a Reverse setting, and a total of 8 twiddly knobs.
At one point I pressed the Reverse button and the internal drum machine went into, er, reverse. This is a very creative looper/delay, and yes, the Repeats knob allows it to self-oscillate. It also has an expression pedal input. As Ryuichi said, there are always other possibilities.
Another very creative delay/looper pedal is the Digitech TimeBender, which is quite similar to the above. It has only 5s vs 16s delay, but I'd say it's even more creative than the JamMan, as it has various "voicings" (pitch-shifted delays), and "time pattern" delay types (too complicated to explain here - RTM!).
I'm surprised Digitech discontinued these 2: they really are excellent for "off-world colony" type noises.

Hi FrankF, thanks, a friend had a Lexicon Jam Man, he loves that too.
I've got an EHX 16, and I accidentally discovered that it can do all I want it to do, but in a very random and unpredictable way, but I'm sticking with it, as I'm sure it's just pilot error.
I must admit, the EHX sounds great, and, it matches the sliders on my Buchla, and on top of all that, Charles Cohen used to use one, that's enough to give me a bit of a boost, style wise....

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby FrankF » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:03 pm

Arpangel wrote:I accidentally discovered that it can do all I want it to do, but in a very random and unpredictable way :)

You say that as if it's a bad thing. ;-)
FrankF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:41 am

FrankF wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I accidentally discovered that it can do all I want it to do, but in a very random and unpredictable way :)

You say that as if it's a bad thing. ;-)

No, not really, it's just been laid out in a way that's very disorientating, deliberately I think, to stop you from approaching it the same way every time.
The Buchla is one of those things that always makes me come up with something new, and I definitely end up in places I had no intention of going.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 am

I'm more confused than ever now, and still haven't got a new delay. My EHX16 is useless for anything other than short delay/chorus, it it won't do long delays at all, the 16 seconds only applies to the looper.
I'm now looking at the Strymon Time Line, as reviewed by that nice chap "Chords Of Orion"
The Boss DD7 could be a cheaper contender though, although it only goes up to 3200ms according to the delay time knob? I don't know where the 6.4 sec's comes from?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:31 am

Arpangel wrote:
blinddrew wrote:And now the circle is complete.
;)

we come to buy, like, and end up using things by a very complicated path thats full of twists and turns, random exploration, and just downright illogical faffing about. Well, I do anyway.

"Lay down all thoughts. Surrender to the voice."
It's a magical mystery tour. Enjoy it.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby FrankF » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 am

Jam Man today, and jam tomorrow, man! (as Charles Dodgson never said).
Some of the Digitech rack delays have 8 secs, but you'll struggle to find one.

As a DAW ignoramus, I wonder, isn't there a way to fire your guitar signal into the PC, apply an epoch-sized delay, and have it come back out at you through the speakers, like some grossly unacceptable latency that can never be long enough?!

Another advantage of the Jam Man is that you can split the dry signal and the delay over stereo, and thus manipulate the delayed signal further on a separate recorded track - could that be rigged up in a DAW?
FrankF
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:51 am

Arpangel wrote:The Boss DD7 could be a cheaper contender though, although it only goes up to 3200ms according to the delay time knob? I don't know where the 6.4 sec's comes from?

There's a 'long' mode which doubles the chosen delay time, presumably by being mono only, not stereo. It's selected by plugging into the A input and using the B output.

Described on Pg 14 of the manual. https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... _e01_W.pdf
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm

My Tensor arrived last week. It’s a "digital tape recorder" pedal. It does lots of tricks, looping, forward/reverse, glitch, serious time stretch +/- 2 octs, tape stop, and more. It has way too many features that can be midi controlled by the nth degree so there is something for lightweights like me to hardcore nerd tweakers. It immediately responded to my expression pedal - whoa!!
I am starting to like it but it has 2 shortcomings so far.
If you put it on the floor like a regular stomp box pedal you are constantly bending over to tweak the knobs unless you hookup a midi controller or optional footpedal. Not great for old backs especially if you are wearing a guitar. If it’s within arms reach off the floor you can’t step on it to trigger and record.
And
It’s 5 seconds of memory. There is a way to get more if you mess with the "recording speed"

I think this and others like Mood (also really super cool) are the new generation of JamMans etc. But they are mono and are in pedal form. But they are way more than pedals. On the other hand I am rediscovering the joy of turning real knobs.
This is still an awesome time to be a musician! :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm

How about the Eventide H9? Has the same algos plus...
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:39 am

Wonks wrote:
Arpangel wrote:The Boss DD7 could be a cheaper contender though, although it only goes up to 3200ms according to the delay time knob? I don't know where the 6.4 sec's comes from?

There's a 'long' mode which doubles the chosen delay time, presumably by being mono only, not stereo. It's selected by plugging into the A input and using the B output.

Described on Pg 14 of the manual. https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... _e01_W.pdf

Thanks Wonks, I did look at the general spec but it gave no clue on the Roland site.
Eventide H9? No thanks, too "computery" for me.
I think I'm going for a DD7, it's cheap, and the mono output in long mode is fine, my BEL BD80S was only mono anyway, and I'm not looking for loads of fancy extras I'm not going to use.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous