You are here

Connecting pedals

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Connecting pedals

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:00 pm

I have three Digitech Hardwire stereo pedals (Phaser, Chorus, Delay) which I want to connect. I am aware of the argument against solid couplers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE7XhwHUGdk

So was thinking about these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayzm-Guitar-I ... B07F9M677P

They seem pretty small and flexible, so should fit in without issue. Also reasonable cost.

So, two questions:
1) any better coupling connectors for a reasonable cost? Preferably short leads and shallow/small plugs. These will not be gigged - once they are plugged in, they will just sit there, so they don't need to be the last word in quality. Good enough will do.

2) Scanning through Amazon, there is a vast number of solid couplers but, surprisingly, no-one appears to have produced a version with a limited hinge to deal with the very slight (and variable) angle difference between adjacent pedal sockets. It would require decent engineering to maintain the screen, but surely not beyond the wit of man/woman? That would not get around height differences, the way offset couplers do, but that is not an issue for me in this instance.

Thoughts welcome :)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Re: Connecting pedals

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Those Amazon ones look worth a try for the price. I'd get a multimeter on them to see what the cable resistance is - should be well below one ohm (exact value will depend on your meter and probe cable resistance - so just check the probes touching on their own first to get a baseline figure). Any higher and there's something wrong with them and I'd throw them away.

So 1) don't know of any. If they work, £1.50 each is pretty cheap to me!

2) I doubt it . You'd end up with what is effectively a short length of cable between two jacks. But to connect cables to jacks you need space to solder them - which means a body per jack of at least half the length of a standard jack, which means the pedals will be a lot further apart than with right-angled jacks.

Any super- miniaturised jointing system would be very expensive to produce, and you'd end up with something that would cost a small fortune. No one would buy them as a result, except maybe a very few rich people with money to burn, so they'd then disappear from the market very quickly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks, Wonks. Q2 was mostly me making sure I hadn't missed a better solution. But I appreciate that a hinged design would be "tricky" - and therefore probably expensive.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:40 pm

I think you're over thinking this. simple short cables are fine, all the esoteric hullabulloo is just marketing
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I think you're over thinking this. simple short cables are fine, all the esoteric hullabulloo is just marketing

Quite ^. Any kind of "time based" pedal is surely going to have buffered outputs and so cables are not going to have any influence up to tens of mtrs.
If you want the pedals as close together as possible go for pancake jacks.

I am slightly worried about the "stereo" aspect? If all the pedals have a stereo output how do you preserve that with TS jacks? But then, is the final result going to two amplifiers?

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... ePEALw_wcB

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:38 pm

All pedals have two ins and two outs :headbang:

They will be going into a stereo mixer for recording. None of that 'live' nonsense here!

I have ordered the cables now, so will let y'all know how they behave.

Thanks for your thoughts.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm

ef37a wrote:I am slightly worried about the "stereo" aspect? If all the pedals have a stereo output how do you preserve that with TS jacks? But then, is the final result going to two amplifiers?

You don't seem very familiar with stereo pedals, Dave. Some have a mono input and two TS jack outputs for the stereo signals, whilst others have two TS inputs (for the two signals from another stereo pedal) and two TS outputs.

One of the inputs (on dual input pedals) and one of the outputs is designated for use in a mono mode.

Whilst I can't say its true for all guitar style pedals, 99.9% of stereo pedals these days don't use TRS sockets for stereo signals. My CE-1, one of the very first stereo output stomps, certainly doesn't.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Absolutely LOVE that vid - spot on, but a great laugh at the same time :bouncy: :clap:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Wonks wrote:
ef37a wrote:I am slightly worried about the "stereo" aspect? If all the pedals have a stereo output how do you preserve that with TS jacks? But then, is the final result going to two amplifiers?

You don't seem very familiar with stereo pedals, Dave. Some have a mono input and two TS jack outputs for the stereo signals, whilst others have two TS inputs (for the two signals from another stereo pedal) and two TS outputs.

One of the inputs (on dual input pedals) and one of the outputs is designated for use in a mono mode.

Whilst I can't say its true for all guitar style pedals, 99.9% of stereo pedals these days don't use TRS sockets for stereo signals. My CE-1, one of the very first stereo output stomps, certainly doesn't.

Quite so, the pedals I had seen were just TS mono in and "sort of" stereo out. I did not think TRS jacks would be involved anyway,

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:01 am

In days of yore, quite a lot of them used a TRS socket as a power switch - don't know if any still do. I never liked it as it had the potential to send a 9V DC pulse down the line to whatever it was connected to :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 am

Folderol wrote:In days of yore, quite a lot of them used a TRS socket as a power switch - don't know if any still do. I never liked it as it had the potential to send a 9V DC pulse down the line to whatever it was connected to :(

Pretty much still standard in anything with a battery I think Will.

I agree it had its issues but made sense in the gitist's world. Two other problems were that nobody seemed to care whether it was the input or output jack that did the switcharoo and although a linked TRS plug should work, tolerances meant they often didn't!

Players have for a long time put pedals in a case, all plugged up and ready to rock so the jack switch makes no sense in that scenario.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:21 am

Any stomp box with batteries will still use jack power switching. Normally on a TRS socket using the R and S connections to connect the ground side of the battery (so no potential 9v pulse).
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am

Wonks wrote:Any stomp box with batteries will still use jack power switching. Normally on a TRS socket using the R and S connections to connect the ground side of the battery (so no potential 9v pulse).
I know that's the way they're connected, and have often seen ones where the R connection has a rest position close enough to touch the tip of a standard plug on insertion. I've also seen slightly bent plugs (from frequent sloppy insertions) that can exacerbate the issue.

Now if that's on the input side and only going straight to a passive guitar pickup it's not likely to be a problem, but if it's on the output all bets are off.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:05 am

I'd think that many years of guitar pedal existence and no huge rush of complaints shows that in reality, all is good.
Wonks
Jedi Poster