You are here

PC sound in signal path

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: PC sound in signal path

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 am

The reason I asked is because some of 11 rack's first run had a known grounding issue on the "output to amp" jack.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Leftyjay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:13 pm

CS70 wrote:The reason I asked is because some of 11 rack's first run had a known grounding issue on the "output to amp" jack.

I don't think I have this issue since when I unplug the 11r from the pc, it all goes away. Anyway, I just bought a Focusrite 2i2 and I will keep the 11r has a backup for now.

That whole thing drives me nut, but I realize that I probably have the worst environement. Did I told you that the router is 15 feet away? Not helping the noise issue for sure.
Leftyjay
Poster

Postby Leftyjay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Just in case you still care :)

I've plugged the computer with a cord extension in another. the PC itself hasn't moved, just where it is connected.

90% of that anyoing noise is gone ! I can live with the rest since the noise was a lot more worse on the Amp vs listening directly through headphones.
Leftyjay
Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Nice!

It does seem to imply that most of the noise is due to a ground loop, though it is worth checking on the ground connection for the power lead in the original socket, and that the ground for it is connected properly.

Have you got a power socket tester handy?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Leftyjay » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:52 am

Wonks wrote:Nice!

It does seem to imply that most of the noise is due to a ground loop, though it is worth checking on the ground connection for the power lead in the original socket, and that the ground for it is connected properly.

Have you got a power socket tester handy?

Even better. A friend that knows more than me about electricity :)

Ill check the socket and identify the culprit but in the meantime, ill just buy an extension to connect the pc at the other end of room (room is pretty large)
Leftyjay
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Leftyjay wrote:Ill check the socket and identify the culprit but in the meantime, ill just buy an extension to connect the pc at the other end of room (room is pretty large)

The trouble with this approach is that you won't have broken the ground loop, but simply changed its size. Often this makes the offending noises worse, which is why others in this thread have already suggested plugging in all your gear to a single mains socket via one or more distribution boards.

This won't ''break' the ground loop either, but in most cases making the loop physically smaller results in lower amounts of noise, because the currents are lower.

A case in point - my own small studio is powered via a single mains wall socket, and the only time I've had ground loop noises is when I powered a master keyboard via a mains socket on the other side of the room. As soon as I moved the keyboards's power supply so it could be plugged in with all my other gear, that noise disappeared, and has never come back.

Good luck whatever you decide to do though ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Leftyjay » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Initially, it WAS already in the same socket. The problem is worst when pluging in the same powerbar. It gets 90% down in noise if the PC is plugged (not moved) to another electrical socket.
Leftyjay
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Leftyjay wrote:Initially, it WAS already in the same socket. The problem is worst when pluging in the same powerbar. It gets 90% down in noise if the PC is plugged (not moved) to another electrical socket.
Odd, but if it works... :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Ground loops can and often do very strange things and behave in strange ways. It's all to do with the routes the earth current noise flows. Sometimes -- as here -- doing what should be the wrong thing can appear to improve the situation. However, it's not really a cure, it's just that some of the circulating noise currents have partially cancelled each other out. It's actually an indication that there is more than one ground loop affecting the system as a whole!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ground loops can and often do very strange things and behave in strange ways. It's all to do with the routes the earth current noise flows. Sometimes -- as here -- doing what should be the wrong thing can appear to improve the situation. However, it's not really a cure, it's just that some of the circulating noise currents have partially cancelled each other out. It's actually an indication that there is more than one ground loop affecting the system as a whole!

That's exactly the point I was trying to make Hugh :headbang:

;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Leftyjay » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 pm

Good news is that the noises are at an acceptable level. Still there, but barely audible so im good...for now :P
Leftyjay
Poster

Previous